Page 173 of 176 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176 LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 2633

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Its a a promotioal image by a major film company.

You really think there was any chance of it getting more quote tweets than likes?
    Bottom line is the image got a mixed reception. More negative than positive. Most troubling is the dour looking Corenswet as Superman. This is the first image and should be inspiring which it isn't. Even among those who like the suit many are asking why the sad looking Superman. One has to wonder who is running the PR show for the film.

Fans give Gunn's Superman suit a mixed reaction

Not good when a film's first look is mocked with lots of memes on social media. Film Junkee, a big Gunn fan, is WTF about the suit. He goes over some of the memes starting at 33 minutes. Some are quite funny.

Film Junkee of Superman suit memes
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 05-09-2024 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    Ugh.

Let's see: New 52 pattern and piping lifted from Jim Lee's New 52 "design" on a suit that isn't skintight, instead appearing more like a suit from the MCU or a CW show, with the Kingdom Come S shield for "reasons."

- The New 52 costume, one of the worst superhero uniform designs in comic book history

- A somewhat loose suit that suggests the cheapness of MCU and DC CW suits

- An iconic alternate version of the S shield that was the result of catastrophic personal losses to Superman, not just a "kewl" look.

When your big-budget movie costume is put to shame by, ironically enough, two costumes from mid-budget TV shows, you have a problem.
    ITA. The placement of the cape on the front of the suit is a major design error. That is what they did with Hoechlin's suit early on in Supergirl and the runners corrected that. It's a jarring look that breaks up the symmetry the suit should have - as one reviewer noted it looks "clunky". . The cape should attach regally as it did in the Superboy series suit. A small budget TV series with a much better-looking suit. It's no secret I have no confidence in Gunn and this first image reinforces that doubt.

gc2222222.jpg
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 05-09-2024 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Stuff like this always amuses me, apparently One Million is now selling like hotcakes, courtesy of the possible Solaris reference. Glad I got my Omni a while ago.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/now-...to-james-gunn/
    Can’t deny the Gunn bump for comic trades sales. Hopefully it extends to bumping sales of the ongoings too, which the ICV2 sales charts hint is the case.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think this suit would look better without the red underpants it’s going to look really ugly with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I think this suit would look better without the red underpants it’s going to look really ugly with it.
    Agree. And if the trunks are baggy boxer style briefs (like in ASS) it will look downright silly. The suit is generally getting a thumbs down on social media and Gunn has gone silent on social media since the reveal. One has to wonder that, given the bad reception, will WBD/Gunn release another better photo is short order? As it is this photo isn't helping the film. This was a huge PR miss for Gunn/Superman given how critical that first reveal in. The only "big" complaint about the first MOS Superman photo was that Cavill seemed to have a receding hairline. But the costume was loved, and the scene looked real - unlike this photo which some first took as cosplay before realizing it was legit.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 05-09-2024 at 06:19 PM.

https://x.com/maguirekevin/status/17...487sLx_4UoiJsQ
    Weird being on the other side of things for a change, watching people speculate off photos and rumors.

I know shit

You’re not prepared.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Agree. And if the trunks are baggy boxer style briefs (like in ASS) it will look downright silly. The suit is generally getting a thumbs down on social media and Gunn has gone silent on social media since the reveal. One has to wonder that, given the bad reception, will WBD/Gunn release another better photo is short order? As it is this photo isn't helping the film. This was a huge PR miss for Gunn/Superman given how critical that first reveal in. The only "big" complaint about the first MOS Superman photo was that Cavill seemed to have a receding hairline. But the costume was loved, and the scene looked real - unlike this photo which some first took as cosplay before realizing it was legit.
    They haven't started to market the movie yet. Too soon to drop more promo images. The first look was released because they have to film on the outside very soon. Tomorrow, I think.

They said the same to hype every movie. "You're not ready!"
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 05-09-2024 at 07:26 PM.

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    This is a huge PR win for Superman. Why? Because everyone is talking about it. That's all PR is for. I personally like the photo, I think it says good things about the direction of the film, but most importantly it's interesting. People are wondering about the context, what it means, what's behind him, what's he thinking. That's good PR. If we weren't talking about it, it would be a dud. Gunn hasn't "gone quiet" at all, he was recently in a photo with a dozen comics pros which made the rounds online. Gunn is doing fine, is quietly confident.

The relentless, unfounded and sensationalist negativity from this board sometimes makes me question if it's an honest to god troll farm invading our virtual space.

The meaning of the image is all insinuation but I do like the possible meaning that “Superman has to get up for work and put his shoes on one at a time just like the rest of us” vibe as it’s a dichotomy from Snyder’s alienated outsider Superman who was also made into an allegorical Jesus figure, in a heavy handed way.

I felt Snyder’s (and Nolan’s) take on Superman was interesting at the time but I’m looking forward to a more humanist Superman than the gloomy space god.

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    This is a huge PR win for Superman. Why? Because everyone is talking about it. That's all PR is for. I personally like the photo, I think it says good things about the direction of the film, but most importantly it's interesting. People are wondering about the context, what it means, what's behind him, what's he thinking. That's good PR. If we weren't talking about it, it would be a dud. Gunn hasn't "gone quiet" at all, he was recently in a photo with a dozen comics pros which made the rounds online. Gunn is doing fine, is quietly confident.

The relentless, unfounded and sensationalist negativity from this board sometimes makes me question if it's an honest to god troll farm invading our virtual space.
    It's reminding me a bit of when Barbie went viral with the 'she's everything, he's just Ken' frames or the image of Barbie and Ken being booked at the police station. Everyone had fun editing and adding all sorts of characters into those frames and scene. There's a bit of that going on now because of this image. People are engaging and being creative with it and that's great to see.

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    It's reminding me a bit of when Barbie went viral with the 'she's everything, he's just Ken' frames or the image of Barbie and Ken being booked at the police station. Everyone had fun editing and adding all sorts of characters into those frames and scene. There's a bit of that going on now because of this image. People are engaging and being creative with it and that's great to see.
    Exactly! That the Garfield movie immediately did a parody poster is great, that's a whole other production piggybacking off your visibility and vice versa. I think Gunn will be quite savvy about this and we'll see more interesting PR.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Can’t deny the Gunn bump for comic trades sales. Hopefully it extends to bumping sales of the ongoings too, which the ICV2 sales charts hint is the case.
    What’ll be ironically funny in highlight is if it’s not even Solaris after all.

No denying the bump is good for the Super-business though.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Fantastic Member

This is not a PR win. What is the use of people talking about it if they are trashing it left and right?

I remember people were also making memes on the first photo of Superman released from Batman v Superman, (the photo where Cavill is standing in the rain looking sad). They were editing in balloons and teddy bears and things like that in it. That didn't help then, did it?

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    This is not a PR win. What is the use of people talking about it if they are trashing it left and right?

I remember people were also making memes on the first photo of Superman released from Batman v Superman, (the photo where Cavill is standing in the rain looking sad). They were editing in balloons and teddy bears and things like that in it. That didn't help then, did it?
    Because they’re not trashing it? I’m seeing plenty of fanart for the suit. It’s got its fans. Here’s a tweet that got 16k likes being positive about the suit. You are so annoying always trying to whip everything up into hysterics. But to use your example, BvS had a great start, people were extremely excited and wanted to go, it was only after people saw the movie and realized how awful it was that it crashed. The memes prior to its release didn’t hurt it, word of mouth about the quality of the movie itself did. If Superman attracts the same kind of interest it will be good since I expect a far higher level of quality from Gunn than Snyder is capable of. Gunn managed to make the only successful Marvel movie last year because of how good the word of mouth for GOTG 3 was.

Jeffery, Laser_Man, and All Star Superman have all been hating on this movie from the start. Even when we got something that was received universally positively, like Corenswet getting casted, All-Star and Jeffery tried to spin it as a negative (see the Corenswet thread for proof). I wouldn’t say they’re trolls, just people who were never going to give the movie a chance and are always looking for any indication that it’s doomed. Well maybe Jeffery and Laser_Man are trolls since they only ever post to talk about how Superman is doomed, All-Star Superman just hates Gunn.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-10-2024 at 07:57 AM.