Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Ultimate X-Men #3 Discussion

E4EA3961-381F-4321-AC38-C61C83AFA567.jpg

This issue is out! My review:

It’s a good issue, mostly explores Mei’s backstory (she deserves to be happy), and we also learn a little more about the boy from last issue. Also, pay attention to the lexicon for this issue, I think it’s hinting at what’s going on with him!
    Last edited by juffuj5; 05-15-2024 at 08:00 AM.

Amazing Member

Also, Nico is now added to the cast drawings! Natsu and Mori are definitely next, maybe Surge to since she’s said to debut in issue 4.
    2A74F0F4-7182-4224-82F8-E9394ACD77E1.jpg
    Last edited by juffuj5; 05-15-2024 at 07:58 AM.

Continuing to adore this series.

I'm wondering if Bei's powers really are the same as Storm's, or if they're actually tied to her wishes... She wished to be like Storm and then got her makeover and powers...
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it would be an interesting twist that would allow the character to be more than just another legacy with the same looks and powers as the original.

And Nico apparently is a mutant. I guess Momoko didn't have many options for Japanese mutants, so she decided to turn an unrelated character into one? I could see Nico playing a similar role to Magik in the team since the actual Magik is more tied to the secret cabal in this universe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I'm wondering if Bei's powers really are the same as Storm's, or if they're actually tied to her wishes... She wished to be like Storm and then got her makeover and powers...
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it would be an interesting twist that would allow the character to be more than just another legacy with the same looks and powers as the original.

And Nico apparently is a mutant. I guess Momoko didn't have many options for Japanese mutants, so she decided to turn an unrelated character into one? I could see Nico playing a similar role to Magik in the team since the actual Magik is more tied to the secret cabal in this universe.
    Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. There's no way she just HAPPENS to get the same mutation as her idol, Storm, who we saw her fixating/reading up on right before she manifested abilities for the first time. My guess is she's actually some kind of power mimic, whose real power is the ability to channel or assume the physical characteristics and abilities of anyone she fixates on strongly enough. LOL her endgame codename being more along the lines of "Fangirl."

20240515_072900.jpg20240515_072818.jpg

Momoko-sensei really outdid herself on the art in this issue, and we got our first mention of mutants in the 6160 ☺️

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juffuj5 View Post
    This issue is out!
    Attachment 139518
    Can we please stick to the forum rules and mot just open a 'let's discuss thread, without writing a proper summary?

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ARDS-amp-RULES

PUT SOME THOUGHT AND EFFORT INTO IT

Opening posts of any thread should set the tone by introducing the topic and be a springboard for further conversation. Do not succinctly give a topic and then simply say "Discuss" or something similar, expecting other people to run with it. Do not only provide a link to somewhere else or copy/paste an entire article from elsewhere without adding your own thoughts. It’s no one’s job to start threads to make up for whatever particular topics they feel are missing from the forums or need to be split from other conversations, so do not start threads with the empty notion of filling a void without putting the effort into presenting the topic as something worth discussing. If you want to say something, then say it. If you can’t muster up enough effort to start a thread properly, wait for someone else to do it.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Can we please stick to the forum rules and mot just open a 'let's discuss thread, without writing a proper summary?

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ARDS-amp-RULES

PUT SOME THOUGHT AND EFFORT INTO IT
    sorry, I don’t use this site much so I didn’t know the requirements, but will do what I can to adjust the initial post!
    Last edited by juffuj5; 05-15-2024 at 07:59 AM.

So this is the second mutant whose powers manifested after interacting with the shadow king? Wonder where this will go. Little cameo of ultimte molly and cyke, I wonder if they're Nico's friends or just other schoolkids.

Meystorm's dad had the most unbothered reaction to her X-Gene activating and causing a typhoon in the middle of their kitchen I've ever read.

Do we know who the person is with the eyepatch yet that is with Molly and Nico?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. There's no way she just HAPPENS to get the same mutation as her idol, Storm, who we saw her fixating/reading up on right before she manifested abilities for the first time. My guess is she's actually some kind of power mimic, whose real power is the ability to channel or assume the physical characteristics and abilities of anyone she fixates on strongly enough. LOL her endgame codename being more along the lines of "Fangirl."
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    So this is the second mutant whose powers manifested after interacting with the shadow king? Wonder where this will go. Little cameo of ultimte molly and cyke, I wonder if they're Nico's friends or just other schoolkids.
    I have so many questions and theories and I love that the story is playing out like this so I am going to try to keep an open mind to anything happening including 'mutant' again being something different in this Ultimate version.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    Meystorm's dad had the most unbothered reaction to her X-Gene activating and causing a typhoon in the middle of their kitchen I've ever read.

Do we know who the person is with the eyepatch yet that is with Molly and Nico?
    I think Nico is the only one that is the equivalent of the 616 Nico, the 'Molly' and 'Eyepatch' look like new characters inspired by Molly and Cyclops, based on the way the character designs are described.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I have so many questions and theories and I love that the story is playing out like this so I am going to try to keep an open mind to anything happening including 'mutant' again being something different in this Ultimate version.
    I just paid attention to Hickman's beginning for the new ultimate universe online, but I think it was mentioned even there that mutations were different? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm also curious as to how this develops.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I think Nico is the only one that is the equivalent of the 616 Nico, the 'Molly' and 'Eyepatch' look like new characters inspired by Molly and Cyclops, based on the way the character designs are described.
    Apparently the rabbit girl's name in Japanese the either the Japanese version of Molly or is often translated to Molly, and Eyepatche's name means summer in Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by juffuj5 View Post
    E4EA3961-381F-4321-AC38-C61C83AFA567.jpg

This issue is out! My review:

It’s a good issue, mostly explores Mei’s backstory (she deserves to be happy), and we also learn a little more about the boy from last issue. Also, pay attention to the lexicon for this issue, I think it’s hinting at what’s going on with him!
    Yeah the lexicon page was not subtle, heavy foreshadowing

Mixed issue. I liked some pages much more than others. Mei’s meeting with the shadow king was good. Her family scene was mixed. It went from a real family feeling to just feeling off. It seemed it was going for a cold frightening feeling but I just felt disconnected when the dad told her to go. That whole scene felt almost comical.

Nico, Natsu and Mori had a bad introduction art page. If it wasn’t the introduction page I wouldn’t have been so let down with it, Momoko’s art is still good but that page seemed rushed and Nico looked wonky. The last page was so much better, a real standout page with the magnifying glass.

Hisako felt like a minor character here. Mei stole the issue and with Nico and the others joining Hisako will have to step it up.

Hmmm, maybe 6/10. A bit uneven and unfocused but with some nice moments.

Mori was described as an original character. Technically the Japanization of Molly would be モリー, Morii in romaji, not もり, Mori. That being said, she does seem to fit the bill of a Molly Hayes type, between the hat and the name.