Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Think the futuristic ship design thing was kind of was already broken by ENTERPRISE, although it's interiors didn't quite look as 'comfy' as the later Enterprises.

Apart from the Nacelles the exterior largely just seems to be taken from the Akira class which appeared in First Contact and a few DS9s and Voyagers.

Funny thing is the Shenzou, Discovery etc. kind of look fine as descendants of the NX-01 but don't quite fit as contemporary with the TV show constitution class.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Wow this was a slog.

We had to spend time with Tilly, Adira and Tig Notaro as she stole yet another paycheck.

Raynor continues to be the MVP of the season dominating whatever scene he is in.

Once again Starfleet gets out witted by L'ak because he HACKS THE MED BED IN PLAIN VIEW OF SECURITY BECAUSE.... MOLL STOOD IN FRONT OF HIM SO NO ONE NOTICED?!

Why weren't they separated? Straight from the Doctor's mouth "Keeping them apart would only put more stress on his systems" Sigh, whatever show.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

So some think DS9 might show up next episode given that it's fairly close to the Badlands (and also the Cardassian border, although I think it's unclear whether Cardassia is now part of the Federation. There is of course Rillak but she's just one person).

You'd figure Discovery would also have had a larger sickbay by now. The one they have seems to be as small as the Defiant's. It's saucer is roughly the same size of the NCC-1701 Enterprise's (although there's some negative space there) and usually those ships had pretty big ones (even with the somewhat more limited budgets-The TNG sickbay is a redress of the movie one for example).

Heh. Just looking this up and the bar in Star Trek III is a redressed sickbay set. No wonder McCoy seemed to be a regular there.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-09-2024 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    So some think DS9 might show up next episode given that it's fairly close to the Badlands (and also the Cardassian border, although I think it's unclear whether Cardassia is now part of the Federation. There is of course Rillak but she's just one person).
    This wouldn't surprise me. I just got access to a Paramount membership and watched all the episodes and this series had a lot of 'memberberries' to it. The season starts with with a reference to the TNG panspermia episode and each episode seems to have a call back to something; Breen, Mirror Universe, Trill, Denobulans, Betezoid, Soong Android etc. Star Trek normally has far more OC aliens in a season. Admittedly, I was more eager to watch this series when I learned the Breen were in it, but at the same time, I thought it would be like this as well. The last season of Enterprise also had a lot of callouts to other shows.

I do think this season is pretty good, even if the plot is exceptionally video game-y;a plot where you find the 6 Crystal Star/Elements/Triforce Pieces what video games do.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

The precursor tech also seems to be treated a bit like the Genesis technology, like if it gets in the wrong hands...despite no indications what it necessarily is (While Genesis had a fairly detailed description).

The term "power of creation" is also used, which Kirk used to describe it as well.

The Breen feel very "Klingon Lite" to me

It feels like the show runners told the actress who plays Moll to "Let the raccoon eyeliner do all the acting" and it shows.

The head archivist felt very "California" to me. It was distracting.

Why did Burnham have to go on the away mission? It's the final season, we know that she is the star. It wouldn't hurt go see someone else do this quest.

Tig Notaro continues to steal paychecks by not making any attempt to act.

Raynor continues to be solid.

And talking about feelings saves the day?! Never change Discovery.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Efrosians (Species Hy'rell is) always kind of look sort of like Klingons but with fancier hair. It was a bit of an odd visual choice to have Kurtwood Smith's president be one in Star Trek VI, although the film is full of very different looking Klingon haircuts like Chang, Gorkon etc. so he does look more distinct. Although some sources had him be Deltan, which would also be a very different cut!

Seems I'm not the only one who made that connection, as it seems to show up on some message boards. The Federation First 150 years book also seems to have a bit of a funny aside, revealing they were subjects of the Empire at one time.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-17-2024 at 05:21 AM.