Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Classic Who wise just watched the recreation of Galaxy Four. It's interesting that nobody seems to have had the Drahvins meet the Sontarans in Big Finish or the novels.

Also a lot of the story could've been slightly averted had the Doctor just offered to take the Drahvins onboard the TARDIS, although given how unpredictable it was back then, he'd probably be stuck with them for a while.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

So thoughts on the premiere episodes?

Space Babies is mainly just kind of a fun romp, nothing too deep, pretty much a primer of sorts to WHO with a lot of exposition in the first act. There's some course some toilet humor but it's not as obnoxious as the Slitheen or Absorbamaloff.

The Timeless child retcon is still in place, at least the part about the Doctor being adopted, in part to draw similarities with Ruby and the babies.

The Bogeyman part of course is a bit of a nod to ALIEN at least aesthetically, complete with the airlock bit.

Devil's Chord allows Ncuti to exercise more of his dramatic chops as the Doctor (as well as some musical ones-not out of character for the Doctor at all since of course Capaldi had the guitar stuff, Second had the recorder, Seventh had an affinity for the blues and Jazz etc), and also a lot more hinting at this season's arc (Which is another companion-related mystery) and the Toymaker's legions/pantheon.

There's also a scene that as speculated is pretty much almost verbatim from the "1980" scene in PYRAMID OF MARS.

Both episodes are very campy but this is RTD coming back after all. They are both a lot of fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    So thoughts on the premiere episodes?

Space Babies is mainly just kind of a fun romp, nothing too deep, pretty much a primer of sorts to WHO with a lot of exposition in the first act. There's some course some toilet humor but it's not as obnoxious as the Slitheen or Absorbamaloff.

The Timeless child retcon is still in place, at least the part about the Doctor being adopted, in part to draw similarities with Ruby and the babies.

The Bogeyman part of course is a bit of a nod to ALIEN at least aesthetically, complete with the airlock bit.

Devil's Chord allows Ncuti to exercise more of his dramatic chops as the Doctor (as well as some musical ones-not out of character for the Doctor at all since of course Capaldi had the guitar stuff, Second had the recorder, Seventh had an affinity for the blues and Jazz etc), and also a lot more hinting at this season's arc (Which is another companion-related mystery) and the Toymaker's legions/pantheon.

There's also a scene that as speculated is pretty much almost verbatim from the "1980" scene in PYRAMID OF MARS.

Both episodes are very campy but this is RTD coming back after all. They are both a lot of fun though.
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    i’ve read some synopses, and one line the doctor said, was that his parents abandoned him in gallifrey, but i didn’t think the doctor really knew how he got there.

Maybe the Doctor decided to take a look into the fob watch with his missing pre-Hartnell memories after all?

I enjoyed Space Babies. I could not help but see the reference to the anti-abortion crowd. Babies have to be born, but after that they are on their own.

At the end spoilers:
    I couldn't tell, but when we see Ruby's name on the display in the TARDIS, were they suggestion that Ruby becomes the Doctor?
    end of spoilers
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Reportedly Space Babies only had 2.6 million viewers on BBC One but since they've been pushing the series on Streaming a ton I wonder how the ones were for Disney+ and Iplayer.

THIRD ep, wow guess that didn't take long.