Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Great idea! Something I haven't seen recced here yet is Gail Simone's first run on Birds of Prey - from 56-108. It's a really stunning run, with character development and thematic richness that isn't found very many other places. Only caveat is the art can be a bit inconsistent. But it's really, really enjoyable and well crafted.

The Rucka Wonder Woman run is also amazing (actually, both of them are - the first one from the mid-2000s, and the second one from Rebirth).

Andreyko's Manhunter is really delightful - but make sure you track down the last volume, which was published as backups in Streets of Gotham 1-13 but never collected in trade. Streets of Gotham is really fun anyway, so I'd recommend buying the individual issues both for themselves and the last volume of Manhunter.

Lastly, this is a new comic for me, but it's been out for a while - Ellis and Cassaday's Planetary. Really, really enjoyable, and if you're a Batman fan, the Batman/Planetary crossover is well worth it as well. (Didn't like the Justice League crossover, though.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Lastly, this is a new comic for me, but it's been out for a while - Ellis and Cassaday's Planetary. Really, really enjoyable, and if you're a Batman fan, the Batman/Planetary crossover is well worth it as well. (Didn't like the Justice League crossover, though.)
    How could I forget Planetary??? That's up there with the very best comics have to offer. Last I knew volume 4 was out of print and stupid expensive so unless it's been re-released you might have a hard time finding it. Actually, if it has been re-released could someone tell me? I need to finish my collection.

I'd also recommend Tom Strong and Promethea, both by Moore.

And Invincible. I mentioned it before. It needs to be mentioned again. Invincible. The most heart warming, heart-wrenching, humorous, honest, gory, terrifying superhero book there is.

Oh, also Preacher and Hitman, both by Garth Ennis, if you're into overly violent, purposefully disgusting comics that are smarter than most novels and say more in two issues than most comics say in sixty years. Not for the feint of heart or the easily offended.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    How could I forget Planetary??? That's up there with the very best comics have to offer. Last I knew volume 4 was out of print and stupid expensive so unless it's been re-released you might have a hard time finding it. Actually, if it has been re-released could someone tell me? I need to finish my collection.
    Planetary is being reissued in two trades that collect everything. The first one came out this summer, and the second one according to Amazon lands in March. There was also a fancy omnibus edition a few years back that is still in print.

The individual trades remain out of print though.

Hellblazer
    Hitman
    Justice League by Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire
    Kirby's Fourth World
    Kirby's Kamandi
    The Spectre by Ostrander/Mandrake
    Suicide Squad by Ostrander/Yale/McDonnell/Isherwood
    BB

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Walt Simonson's ORION
    Alan Moore's SWAMP THING (which you mentioned)
    Geoff Johns/Jeff Parker/Dan Abnett AQUAMAN (flows pretty well all the way through)
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-05-2017 at 08:11 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Not as long as some of the others, but it's only an issue or so shorter than Planetary: Batgirl: Stephanie Brown by Bryan Q. Miller. First trade is out, second trade coming in the spring, all issues available digitally.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Walt Simonson's ORION
    This was exactly the comic I came in to point out. The omnibus is pretty inexpensive, especially when you start reading and realize they should actually be charging a premium for all the big talent who brought their A-game.

Spectacular Member

What about the Exiles? That was a fun book filled with alternate reality goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    The Spectre by Ostrander/Mandrake
    An underappreciated gem. This is a brilliant mix of religion, superheroics, and personal growth respectful to all sides of the argument. A damn fine piece of work.

Out of your list I'd recommend:
    - Swamp Thing by Moore
    - JLA by Morrison (i always read just till Rock of Ages)
    - Sandman by Neil Gaimann
    - Captain America by Brukaber
    - Punisher Max by Ennis
    - New X-Men by GM

and I'd also recommend:

The Question by Denny O'Neil and Denys Cowan
    The Shadow by Andy Helfer and Bill Seinkeiwicz + Kyle Baker
    Locke and Key
    Supergirl by Peter David (I don't think there are trades for most of this though)
    Daredevil by Frank Miller
    Transmetropolitan
    Preacher
    Hitman
    Fables
    Saga
    Starman
    The Walking Dead
    Invincible

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Planetary is being reissued in two trades that collect everything. The first one came out this summer, and the second one according to Amazon lands in March. There was also a fancy omnibus edition a few years back that is still in print.

The individual trades remain out of print though.
    Thanks for the info!

Love the new avatar by the way. That book is......there are no words for how amazing it is. We'd need to invent a new one.

Might as well start now.

That book is.....Nefiltastic!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.