Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Land of Bad

Nice special op movie, military style, with two of the Hemsworth brothers.

Kandahar

A bit boring and emotionless.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire
    Grade: B-
    GB_FE.JPG

I liked this film and enjoyed the largest parts of it. I don't take issue with "too many people(cast)", I felt the story worked with the number of new/old GB cast in the film. I really loved Afterlife and probably am only hamstrung by my own expectations with this film. With Afterlife they(writers/producers) were really forced to be fresh. New location, address the main og GB cast give the Spengler family a pulse, like/love them in this chaos. Being back in NYC, at the firehouse allowed them a massive crutch....be familiar. Hey, GB isn't the first film to copy/paste/alter the original film cause that is exactly what happened here save a few scenes. Frankly being familiar is what saves it from dropping into a 'C' grade for me. They at least sold the familiar pretty good most places. I liked our new ghost friend Melody too bad she is gone but reality says you can't keep an actress looking like a 16yr old ghost for too long. I was not too enthralled with Nadeem/Firemaster. As a Gatekeeper/Keymaster stand in character he just needed more workshopping for me.

I enjoyed seeing Winston's paranormal lab space. It felt like they were leaning into Men In Black a bit there. Dan Akroyd's Ray is as fun to watch as ever as is Bill Murray. McKenna Grace is the real breakout actress in these newest installments of the franchise. I think it will be curious to follow her career the next 10 or so years. I sense a real actor inside with more than teen angst to portray, unlike Finn Wolfhard. I feel Finn may have now peaked with GB and closing out Stranger Things.

Not sure where the next GB story takes us but I'm glad to go. I did see that this film has now crossed $100m US domestic with this past weekend.

My rank:
    Ghostbusters: A
    Afterlife: A-
    GBII: B
    Frozen Empire: B-
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime