Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A Bruce Wayne who is more Batman than Bruce Wayne and is off in a sense compared to normal people and society isn't quite sure what to think about him.

Even the Harley episode premise reminds me of the Magpie episode from Beware even if Magpie wasn't actually the therapist treating Bruce in that episode.

Speaking of Harley...I might be reading too much into it but I wonder if this is a byproduct of that rumored falling out between Bruce Timm and Paul Dini to where Timm is now doing HIS version of Harley and basically trying to turn her into a new thing rather than stay true to the characterization and personality Dini helped create her with. Granted they've been trying to separate her from Joker for a while so I guess that's not altogether too surprising but inverting the personality dynamic feels like it will really effect her characterization. And nobody writes Harley's personality as well as Dini (same with Joker).

Also making her Asian-American and no blonde hair in sight...though I guess her Harley suit is gold...I'm guessing she probably won't have the accent either.

I wonder if anyone who saw Commissioner Gordon will go "is that Lucius Fox?" I can kind of see now that they were trying to make Jim look like a race-bent version of his Golden Age self. Babs will also probably be adult-aged.

I do appreciate Golden Age Catwoman, Clayface, and Alfred. I'm curious if Alfred is really the only person Bruce is at all emotionally honest/vulnerable with, though he might not be.

Actually their take on Catwoman reminds me of Batwoman from the Brave and the Bold cartoon with a beautiful disenfranchised heiress donning a costume for thrills and to get back what she believes belongs to her.

Interesting that he's not obsessed with his parents' death but he's still "off" because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    So Harley is now Asian and more serious. That kind of feels like Punchline, lol.
    I'd have rather they just used Lady Shiva.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I kind of have superhero show burnout, and especially Batman burnout, but this actually looks fun!
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    First look at Bruce Wayne/Batman in ‘BATMAN: CAPED CRUSADER’.

Releasing August 1 on Prime Video.

Okay, to be honest, I'd totally forgotten that this show was coming out, but I'm psyched by what I'm seeing now

From Day 1, I'd expected a Golden Age-ish turn, but even I didn't anticipate that they'd straight up set it in the 40's!

Loving the character designs I've seen so far - Batman in his Golden Age best (with a conspicuous absence of purple though), Jim Gordon straight out of the pages of 'Tec # 27 (race-bending notwithstanding), Catwoman in her Golden Age purple finery, and the new take on Harley Quinn. I must say I'm particularly impressed with the latter - normally I'm skeptical about 'backporting' later characters and concepts into 'retro' projects, but this Harley Quinn really feels like she could have showed up in a Golden Age Batman comic!

I'm intrigued to see where they go with the psychology stuff for Bruce though. IIRC, the whole "Batman is the real identity and Bruce Wayne is the mask" stuff didn't really start till well after COIE, and if you read the actual Golden Age comics, there's nothing particularly mentally disturbed about Bruce (beyond the fact that he dresses up like a bat to fight crime of course...). Golden Age Bruce is actually possibly one of the most sorted incarnations of the character. But obviously we're not dealing with the pure Golden Age here, but a total reinvention with some Golden Age and noir trappings, so let's see how it all pans out!

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Okay, to be honest, I'd totally forgotten that this show was coming out, but I'm psyched by what I'm seeing now

From Day 1, I'd expected a Golden Age-ish turn, but even I didn't anticipate that they'd straight up set it in the 40's!

Loving the character designs I've seen so far - Batman in his Golden Age best (with a conspicuous absence of purple though), Jim Gordon straight out of the pages of 'Tec # 27 (race-bending notwithstanding), Catwoman in her Golden Age purple finery, and the new take on Harley Quinn. I must say I'm particularly impressed with the latter - normally I'm skeptical about 'backporting' later characters and concepts into 'retro' projects, but this Harley Quinn really feels like she could have showed up in a Golden Age Batman comic!

I'm intrigued to see where they go with the psychology stuff for Bruce though. IIRC, the whole "Batman is the real identity and Bruce Wayne is the mask" stuff didn't really start till well after COIE, and if you read the actual Golden Age comics, there's nothing particularly mentally disturbed about Bruce (beyond the fact that he dresses up like a bat to fight crime of course...). Golden Age Bruce is actually possibly one of the most sorted incarnations of the character. But obviously we're not dealing with the pure Golden Age here, but a total reinvention with some Golden Age and noir trappings, so let's see how it all pans out!
    "Golden Age Harley" reminds me a little too much of Golden Age Jewelee.

I feel like they're going to be expanding on the psychological stuff of the Bruce/Batman dynamic they did in the second half of Beware the Batman. It might play into their use of Two-Face as well.

Finally, an actual new and inventive take on Harley Quinn. I love the traditional version of course, but, in every alt universe story, she’s more or less the same character.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Finally, an actual new and inventive take on Harley Quinn. I love the traditional version of course, but, in every alt universe story, she’s more or less the same character.
    I can't help but wonder if she's so different because Timm wants to do his own take on the character divorced from everything Paul Dini wrote with her.

Mighty Member

So far, this series looks exactly how I expected it to look in terms of visuals. I like that the approach they took in highlighting some of the characters in the series.

Batman and Catwoman feel the most traditional out of the bunch. Batman so far feels like the typical "Bruce Wayne is the mask, Batman is the real one" we've seen before, so I hope there's a fresh spin on it. I admit I kind of prefer when he's a bit more emotionally healthy than that or where being Bruce and Batman are different fragments that need to be in balance (a la Beware the Batman), but I'm open to see how he's being portrayed. Selina being a disgraced heiress is new. It reminds me of Penguin from The Batman (2004). I wonder how a strong sense of entitlement will play with her usual Catwoman antics.

Gordon feels pretty typical so far besides his race. I'm not used to an older Jim being around the same time as a younger Batman. Usually he's a bit younger too.

Clayface looks cool. Using the classic Basil Karlo version is a good way to differentiate him, but they still added some of his B:TAS backstory, so he's definitely disfigured. While I'd complain about Harley Quinn being shoved in projects, they're doing quite a lot to invert her. She's the (officially revealed) character I'm most intrigued about.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't help but wonder if she's so different because Timm wants to do his own take on the character divorced from everything Paul Dini wrote with her.
    Aren’t Timm and Dini rumored to have had a falling out?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Plus if Batman, Catwoman, Alfred, etc..can continually have new takes....why can't she?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Plus if Batman, Catwoman, Alfred, etc..can continually have new takes....why can't she?
    Isn’t the Harley Quinn show a new take