View Poll Results: Would you want to see it?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 84.13%
  • No

10 15.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default X-Men '97: The Animated Series (Disney+)

The 1990s “X-Men: The Animated Series” is getting a revival on Disney+ with a premiere sometime 2023, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

Currently called “X-Men ’97,” the revival will pick up where the classic show left off, with several cast members from “X-Men: The Animated Series” are returning; some will reprise their original roles and others will step into entirely new roles.

Returning cast members include: Cal Dodd, Lenore Zann, George Buza, Adrian Hough, Christopher Britton, Catherine Disher, Chris Potter, Alison Sealy-Smith, Alyson Court.

“X-Men ‘97” is also welcoming a number of new voices to the cast, including Jennifer Hale, Anniwaa Buachie, Ray Chase, Matthew Waterson, JP Karliak, Holly Chou, Jeff Bennett, AJ LoCascio.

Head writer and executive producer on the series is Beau DeMayo. Supervising director is Jake Castorena and supervising producer is Charley Feldman.

Consulting on the new series are “X-Men: The Animated Series” writers Eric and Julia Lewald, and director Larry Houston.

The original “X-Men: The Animated Series” consisted of 76 episodes that aired across fives seasons between 1992 and 1997. It is currently available on Disney+. The animated series is credited for introducing the Marvel comic team to a mainstream audience, which arguably helped set it up for its 2000 live-action film. That film, starring Patrick Stewart and a then-unknown Hugh Jackman, started the early days of the superhero boom.

Houston first spoke about a possible revival in a 2019 report in The Hollywood Reporter, which said that the creative team was putting together a pitch to continue where the series left off.

https://www.thewrap.com/x-men-97-199...d-series-2023/

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Very curious as to the animation style because the waning seasons of the show....man that animation was traaaaaaaaaash
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

This was shown during the announcement. Everyone looks the same except for Jean, whose costume has been slightly tweaked.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Can the Krakoa X-Men get a cartoon instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    As I’ve shared elsewhere, I have a feeling the 90s animated series is being used as a selling and jumping off point. I wouldn’t be surprised if they fast forward to the present or alter reality to fit the present day by the end of the first season.

Also…

omfg. The executive producer of this new show just tweeted this…

https://mobile.twitter.com/beau_dema...30146729111553

We might be getting something more similar to this...

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    As I’ve shared elsewhere, I have a feeling the 90s animated series is being used as a selling and jumping off point. I wouldn’t be surprised if they fast forward to the present or alter reality to fit the present day by the end of the first season.
    I hate this obsession with teasing the past before subverting it so the writers can do something entirely different. It nearly backfired with He Man and I think Marvel won't want their own version of that. Just do like the X-Men '92 comic did and start by telling stories that reflect the period and versions of those characters alongside adaptions of stories from the comics that have occurred since. Doing present day and changes to the X-Men is what the MCU will eventually do with them after all.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post

Also…

omfg. The executive producer of this new show just tweeted this…

https://mobile.twitter.com/beau_dema...30146729111553

Not sure if it's just me but it almost seems to be floating above his skin. The Phoenix symbol's edges look great but the inner proportions of the female, be it Jean or Rachel, isn't right. The coloring is amazing! I'd be happy with this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I personally hope not, because I find this Krakoa era kind of dull. But mileage will vary.

I'm looking forward to it with my fingers crossed. I think it'll provide a good starting point for a new X-Men series. One that doesn't require them to adapt "Days of Future Past" or "Dark Phoenix Saga" again. I'm hoping Jubilee has a good part in the show that doesn't involve her crying, getting captured or getting left behind a lot like in the early episodes of the show. I do see some hesitation from people and accusations of "relying too much on nostalgia" or the show being "too safe". But the original show wasn't "safe" at least in the time it was created. And let's be honest, some degree of nostalgia will always influence X-Men productions. How many X-Men projects have went back to the Claremont/Byrne nostalgia well?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I personally hope not, because I find this Krakoa era kind of dull. But mileage will vary.

I'm looking forward to it with my fingers crossed. I think it'll provide a good starting point for a new X-Men series. One that doesn't require them to adapt "Days of Future Past" or "Dark Phoenix Saga" again. I'm hoping Jubilee has a good part in the show that doesn't involve her crying, getting captured or getting left behind a lot like in the early episodes of the show. I do see some hesitation from people and accusations of "relying too much on nostalgia" or the show being "too safe". But the original show wasn't "safe" at least in the time it was created. And let's be honest, some degree of nostalgia will always influence X-Men productions. How many X-Men projects have went back to the Claremont/Byrne nostalgia well?
    You know...THIS is a good point... These stories are like Death of Superman tier in how often they get adapted... This series may be more interesting in the fact that they don't have to cross that bridge again.

Amelia Vidal - Character Designer for "What If...?" - has announced on Instagram that she is the LEAD CHARACTER DESIGNER FOR THIS SHOW!!!!!

Default What if X-Men 97 did a multiverse crossover between the three X-Men series?

Improve on the character designs. Dramatically.

Have more adult styled writing and topics.

Don't just try to have a version of modern storylines.

Incorporate more of the "rarely seen" characters like Colossus, Nightcrawler, Iceman, or never seen folks like Firestar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Incorporate more of the "rarely seen" characters like Colossus, Nightcrawler, Iceman, or never seen folks like Firestar.
    I wouldnt be upset if they had an Eye Scream Cameo thrown in

On a more serious note. How would people feel about a couple episodes with other heroes? I know in the 90s Spiderman the Xmen were on that and Captain America was on an episode of the Xmen in a flash back, or am I getting that confused with Xmen Evolution?

But would a Avengers/Xmen story be welcome? Maybe Spiderman popping up once (Could they even do that? Dont know about the rights for the cartoon appearances.)
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-13-2021 at 10:01 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.