Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
    Extraordinary Member

So I got the bugger. Guess I was standing too far away the 1st copule of times. But I can tell you this guy was self healing from all attacks and any summons I used was pretty much useless. Plus he has two phases. when he gets down to half health he'll quintuple and they'll all try to grab you. Then he shoots meteor showers. But I got him.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 05-09-2024 at 07:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    So I had a run in with Astel in the snow area tunnel. Another horrible boss...reminded me of why I took a long break from this game. And I say that as someone who beat every boss playing solo except for the final boss. This is my first fromsoft game but I've heard vets complain aboiut the bad boss design here. Don't get me wrong still luv this game but hopefully the dlc fixes some balance/fairness issues.

Anyway here's a repost of how I beat Malenia. One of the most hated bosses in the game. But I gotta admit this was fun for me. This spell got nerfed literally a day after I used it to beat her. Pretty much the same with every weapon I used to beat a boss.
    While I haven't played most other FromSoft games, I'm only now playing through Bloodborne, I generally disagree with the idea that the boss design in Elden Ring is bad. The open world design just makes it so that you can run into just about any boss while your player character is any which level. You could easily be under-powered and forced to run or push yourself through an agonizing number of attempts until you just brute force your way through. You could also easily be over-leveled and able to destroy an endgame boss with a plethora of over-powered magics and weapon skill and summons. The imbalance is intentional and there since the players are imbalanced messes too.

It doesn't work for all players. But I don't think Elden Ring could've been such a mega hit if everybody hated the boss designs of the game. I for one just loved it from beginning to end. I got to a level I felt comfortable with before taking on Margit and while he went down easy the game pushed me around a lot of times. But I never felt like I couldn't find the answer. Either I persevered and won with just my weapons and magic, or I used one of my summons.

And while Malenia is hated by some she's also the most iconic boss of the game and one of the most popular ones as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    So I got the bugger. Guess I was standing too far away the 1st copule of times. But I can tell you this guy was self healing from all attacks and any summons I used was pretty much useless. Plus he has two phases. when he gets down to half health he'll quintuple and they'll all try to grab you. Then he shoots meteor showers. But I got him.
    Astel doesn't heal. And the quintuple grab is only one attack, though it is pretty devastating on the health if it connects. Oh well, well done on winning.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    While I haven't played most other FromSoft games, I'm only now playing through Bloodborne, I generally disagree with the idea that the boss design in Elden Ring is bad. The open world design just makes it so that you can run into just about any boss while your player character is any which level. You could easily be under-powered and forced to run or push yourself through an agonizing number of attempts until you just brute force your way through. You could also easily be over-leveled and able to destroy an endgame boss with a plethora of over-powered magics and weapon skill and summons. The imbalance is intentional and there since the players are imbalanced messes too.

It doesn't work for all players. But I don't think Elden Ring could've been such a mega hit if everybody hated the boss designs of the game. I for one just loved it from beginning to end. I got to a level I felt comfortable with before taking on Margit and while he went down easy the game pushed me around a lot of times. But I never felt like I couldn't find the answer. Either I persevered and won with just my weapons and magic, or I used one of my summons.

And while Malenia is hated by some she's also the most iconic boss of the game and one of the most popular ones as well.

Astel doesn't heal. And the quintuple grab is only one attack, though it is pretty devastating on the health if it connects. Oh well, well done on winning.
    Wish I woulda taped the self healing. But I only recorded the game I won lol. But I guess the success of the dlc or lackthereof. Will be telling. Thanks.