Page 507 of 510 FirstFirst ... 7407457497503504505506507508509510 LastLast
Results 7,591 to 7,605 of 7648

Thread: DCU Movies

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    "Sus" of/for what?
    Cranky old creator? Guilty.
    If he's become a criminal, I missed it.
    Beef with Jack Kirby over creator vs company rights to characters and compensation which led to him portraying Big Barda (based on Kirby's wife) in a highly inappropriate and insulting manner in Action Comics. There is also his negative views on immigrants which bled into his depiction of Superman as being "born" in America, being a proud American/Human, caring little for/denouncing Krypton and his heritage.

Oh and he's a transphobe, just learned about that one.

Jason Aaron only writes Superman once and he gets to show up on a movie set .

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    Beef with Jack Kirby over creator vs company rights to characters and compensation which led to him portraying Big Barda (based on Kirby's wife) in a highly inappropriate and insulting manner in Action Comics. There is also his negative views on immigrants which bled into his depiction of Superman as being "born" in America, being a proud American/Human, caring little for/denouncing Krypton and his heritage.

Oh and he's a transphobe, just learned about that one.
    Yeah, cranky old creator. I never got the impression that Byrne has reached the level of persona non grata after his behavior over the years, some of it being from the 80s. I would wager that most creators from his generation are going to come up "sus" if examined with any attention. Byrne's just louder.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Way more than sus, it just probably wouldn’t make sense to bring someone who is most likely gonna be very negative about the whole thing. Most of the PR outreach so far has clearly been about trying to win over fans who might not have liked other recent attempts (literally one of the first things Gunn publicly said about this movie was that his Superman is optimistic and doesn’t kill), so Byrne showing up on set and then telling everyone on the internet he hates what he saw and thinks it’s gonna be awful would probably defeat that purpose.

Cynical, but yeah.

Yeah, cranky old creator. I never got the impression that Byrne has reached the level of persona non grata after his behavior over the years, some of it being from the 80s. I would wager that most creators from his generation are going to come up "sus" if examined with any attention. Byrne's just louder.
    That's not cranky old creator behaviour. That's a terrible person. I'd like to think being a good person transcends generational "beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    That's not cranky old creator behaviour. That's a terrible person. I'd like to think being a good person transcends generational "beliefs."
    Not speaking about Byrne in particular, but "being a good person" is a moving target from person to person, culture to culture - at any given time, let alone between generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well it was a great arc imo. Scott Snyder being there is more fuel for the fire.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Not speaking about Byrne in particular, but "being a good person" is a moving target from person to person, culture to culture - at any given time, let alone between generations.
    I don't believe so, no. I think there is a fundamental level of empathy, kindness and co-operative nature in every person. Anything else, like bigotry, is learned behaviour and all behaviours can be addressed with self-reflection. But until then I don't think you can call someone who has done/expressed something to wrong/hurt someone, even if they have so many other redeeming qualities, a good person just because it falls within their moral standard or is acceptable within their culture.

That's all I'll say on this, I don't want to derail this thread any further.

When did Aaron write Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    When did Aaron write Superman?
    Just did a three issue Bizarro arc on Action. I loved it personally.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Just by looking at his quotes on the internet, he comes out more than just a cranky old creator.

https://insidepulse.com/2015/06/13/a...n-jenner-more/

This movie doesn't need the bad PR that Byrne would bring it just by being there.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well it was a great arc imo. Scott Snyder being there is more fuel for the fire.
    Hah yeah is it possible he has some big DC (or Superman) project in the works?

It’s the worst kept secret in comics.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And he was hardly interested in writing Superman in that story.

It was very obvious that Aaron was more interested in writing Joker. Which is why in the final issue Joker ended up being the hero who saved the world, while Superman played supporting role in his own book.

DC should really stop giving Superman projects to writers who don't want to write Superman.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Some Superman creators were invited for a set visit.

Dan Jurgens, Frank Quitely, Scott Snyder, Jerry Ordway, Jason Aaron, Jim Lee, John Ostrander and more were there.
    I love Ostrander's work and he is a legend. But he is the last person I want giving input on a Superman movie. He just doesn't get the character based on the few times he wrote Superman.

Snyder wrote Superman Unchained, thats more than some people pictured there done.