Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCU Movies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    The point is that it did the general "aliens disguised as us" plot better. Don't overthink it, its just another quality among its several that were very well done and another among the many reasons of its superiority over SI.
    If I were to overthink it, I'd have bothered to remember anything about those pretty forgettable aliens lol
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Some Superman creators were invited for a set visit.

Dan Jurgens, Frank Quitely, Scott Snyder, Jerry Ordway, Jason Aaron, Jim Lee, John Ostrander and more were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

Dan Jurgens, Frank Quitely, Scott Snyder, Jerry Ordway, Jason Aaron, Jim Lee, John Ostrander and more were there.
    found the caption with the identities of the creators pictured...No John Byrne and I haven't seen Grant Morrison in forever.

It occurred to me that the battle dingy supersuit and the nonchalant tone of Superman getting dressed for battle is reminding me of SUPERMAN III oddness...
    Last edited by Thirteen; 05-09-2024 at 12:46 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    found the caption with the identities of the creators pictured...No John Byrne and I haven't seen Grant Morrison in forever.
    Isn't John Byrne kinda sus?
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Isn't John Byrne kinda sus?
    "Sus" of/for what?
    Cranky old creator? Guilty.
    If he's become a criminal, I missed it.

I have no idea about sus, but given his general attitude towards adaptations making changes from the source material and his reputation for being kind of an asshole, I can see why he either wouldn’t be invited or wouldn’t accept if he were.

Jason Aaron only writes Superman once and he gets to show up on a movie set .

Way more than sus, it just probably wouldn’t make sense to bring someone who is most likely gonna be very negative about the whole thing. Most of the PR outreach so far has clearly been about trying to win over fans who might not have liked other recent attempts (literally one of the first things Gunn publicly said about this movie was that his Superman is optimistic and doesn’t kill), so Byrne showing up on set and then telling everyone on the internet he hates what he saw and thinks it’s gonna be awful would probably defeat that purpose.

Cynical, but yeah.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    "Sus" of/for what?
    Cranky old creator? Guilty.
    If he's become a criminal, I missed it.
    Beef with Jack Kirby over creator vs company rights to characters and compensation which led to him portraying Big Barda (based on Kirby's wife) in a highly inappropriate and insulting manner in Action Comics. There is also his negative views on immigrants which bled into his depiction of Superman as being "born" in America, being a proud American/Human, caring little for/denouncing Krypton and his heritage.

Oh and he's a transphobe, just learned about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    Beef with Jack Kirby over creator vs company rights to characters and compensation which led to him portraying Big Barda (based on Kirby's wife) in a highly inappropriate and insulting manner in Action Comics. There is also his negative views on immigrants which bled into his depiction of Superman as being "born" in America, being a proud American/Human, caring little for/denouncing Krypton and his heritage.

Oh and he's a transphobe, just learned about that one.
    Yeah, cranky old creator. I never got the impression that Byrne has reached the level of persona non grata after his behavior over the years, some of it being from the 80s. I would wager that most creators from his generation are going to come up "sus" if examined with any attention. Byrne's just louder.

That’s awesome! I love Gunn showing respect to the comic creators and actually promoting the comic books themselves. Not something you see the vast majority of directors do.

Fantastic Member

I love Ostrander's work and he is a legend. But he is the last person I want giving input on a Superman movie. He just doesn't get the character based on the few times he wrote Superman.

Snyder wrote Superman Unchained, thats more than some people pictured there done.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Snyder wrote Superman Unchained, thats more than some people pictured there done.
    Tbh it was a pretty forgettable and mediocre story. I think its like Batman: Hush, only gets by on Jim Lee's artwork being hyped.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    He also wrote Supes and Lex a lot in his Justice League run.