Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As long as the movie has the Legion of Super-Heroes, Lex Luthor, Brainiac, and Doomsday in it, it'll be fine.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Really sad for Cavill as I very much wanted him to have another crack, but it's probably for the best. I enjoyed Snyder's films but the cast has fallen off in different ways and a fresh start is the easiest way to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Good lord. That's the stuff of my nightmares of what a James Gunn Written Superman could go. Yikes.

I would hope to God that either Gunn realizes that we don't need that type of Superman film nor whomever is hired to direct looks at that sort of thing and would temper Gunn 's worst impulses to go in that direction. If Gunn writes AND directs....I'm worried.

I love the goofy but with a heart Guardians films, I liked the hyper violent but goofy and weird Peacemaker series...but I hope Gunn is able to taper his natural inclination to be ....well, James Gunn, at least for this film that is going to set the tone of not only Superman going forward but possibly the DCU itself. There's a chance all the DCU films end up just fluffy action/comedies which is frankly what a big chunk of the Marvel films have become. From a business end I can understand why DC/Warners/Discovery would want to go that route because of the Billions Marvel makes, and I could very well see Gunn thinking that's what both his bosses and the general audience wants and go in that direction.

I understand that Zack Snyder went too far in the other direction in being overly reverent to the point of being pretentious with MOS, BvS and his Justice League. I get being overly serious and not allowing some color and humor turned too many people off who expected breezy fun entertainment they were getting elsewhere, but there's a danger in "Ragnarok-ing it"....and I hope Gunn is able to restrain himself from putting his own "stamp " on Superman and the DC franchise as a whole and serve the character first and foremost. .
    Preach. This is my biggest fear. Do not turn Superman into a joke as an overreaction of criticisms that Snyder's Superman was a "statue".

To be honest I'm not even that big on Peacemaker and Guardians. But I think Gunn knows Superman can have charm without being a wisecracker. Maybe Jimmy Olsen can be the loveable goofball.