Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Star Wars News

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Welcome to the billion club phantom menace.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...6b14d58f&ei=12
    Ha! at least they can get out some headlines from this re-release.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Daisy Ridley just confirmed a new Star Wars film and there was a hint that Rey is going to the dark side.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Daisy Ridley just confirmed a new Star Wars film and there was a hint that Rey is going to the dark side.
    I’ll believe it when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I’ll believe it when I see it.
    It was on "The View" and I can't see Alyssa Farah-Griffin randomly asking about the dark side unless she was asked to. She doesn't seem like a Star Wars fan.

With Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy onboard as Star Wars' first female director they may feel comfortable telling the story of Rey's slide to the Sith without facing any backlash.

That could right the franchise and ultimately be the most inclusive thing they could do.

Sounds like a movie I do not want to see. Pretty much negates her journey in Eps 7-9.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Sounds like a movie I do not want to see. Pretty much negates her journey in Eps 7-9.
    It kind of makes sense actually if you look at the other stories from the extended universe they are pulling from in the other film projects. With the way they are sort of adapting the Thrawn Trilogy it makes sense that they'd want to Heir to the Empire too only with Rey instead of Luke Skywalker. It's like they're giving us the sequel trilogy we wanted...from a certain point of view.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Niffleheim

It was on "The View" and I can't see Alyssa Farah-Griffin randomly asking about the dark side unless she was asked to. She doesn't seem like a Star Wars fan.

With Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy onboard as Star Wars' first female director they may feel comfortable telling the story of Rey's slide to the Sith without facing any backlash.

That could right the franchise and ultimately be the most inclusive thing they could do.
    There is no way LucasFilm is going to give a subset of the star wars fandom what they've always wanted her to be. Fandom Menace is never going to get that win, Never lol!
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

The Rey movie's been confirmed for a while; the "dark side" thing might just be a tease without much foundation, or a clue towards something they'll do, but almost certainly nothing as stupid as having her actually go dark side - they've already maxed out the stupid with her and Kylo's "relationship."

Though I will argue somewhat over this:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    She didn't really have any journey across those films - she had a journey in TFA that TLJ then rejected and retconned away without any true replacement because it would have put Kylo in a villainous supporting role, then she had TROS trying to give her a three film arc in one film while tiptoeing around Ben Solo's obsessive supporters at LFL.

Like...Rey was never believably tempted by the dark side in the ST, but not because she was "too perfect" or some bullshit like that. It was because Rian Johnson and LFL refused to let her have any negative emotions towards Kylo when he repeatedly submits her to torture, violation, death threats, and the suffering and loss of her friends - hell, they wouldn't even let her have an arc around "Ben Solo" at all most of the time. For all intents and purposes, Rey had Abrams trying to give her a story twice because LFL didn't give a rat's ass about her and saw her mostly as a tool for telling the anemic and toxic Ben Solo story. I would even argue they deprived her of Finn as a male lead because not only was Finn a better deuteragonist than Kylo, but he also was too positive a contributor to Rey's story and thus helped her overshadow Kylo in TFA (as she should have, since she was supposed to be the main character!)

This film likely exists in the first place because LFL slowly realized they'd devastated and hollowed out what was supposed to be their best asset of the ST era, and one of their two most important surviving ones alongside Finn (since their precious Ben Solo had to die to save face over the way they let him be a black hole in the ST).

So Rey's likely going to have her character clarified in the film, regardless.

...And truth be told, probably the most effective character flaw and arc they could give her in one film that ties to the ST organically would be to have her struggle with left over trauma, existential terror, and bitterness over being Kylo's victim - which you could do in a controlled, not melodramatic but extremely resonant manner both in-universe ("...The Force made me have a relationship against my will with the man who tortured and violated me... is free will even a thing with the Force?") and out-of-universe ("Okay, so, yeah, LFL propagated and supported a toxic relationship favoring a fascist for deeply problematic reasons, ot an extent they left rey without a story for much of the era.")

Though, for the record, if it was me... I'd just go ahead and completely neuter TLJ's impact on the franchise for the new characters - bite the bullet, have this film reveal she's Luke's daughter after all, retcon the Dyad into a parasitic Sith curse that backfired by giving Ben Solo some of Rey's spine and humanity, and have Finn be her love interest.

Just really piss off Reylo fans, and court the larger TFA fanbase. Put up with some drama, but do the right thing by the franchise instead of fanfiction writers and pretentious film critics.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

The Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy Rey Movie is really happening? And promoted on The View? I would be more surprised if Alyssa actually knew what Star Wars was about. 'The View' is probably one of the last places I'd look to market a Star Wars Project.

Disney/Lucasfilm wants to gamble a large investment on something like this? Imagine your company shifting focus to people that don't even support the business and then wondering why it is losing so much $. It's a mystery!
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 05-23-2024 at 10:10 AM.

Any thoughts on the latest Lucas interviews? He shares some of his thoughts on the sequel trilogy, hollywood, AI etc. He also offers the same defenses of the special editions and prequel films, pretty much directors should 'own' their films and SW is meant mainly for kids anyway.

Part of it is here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ms-1235907998/

Says he doesn't like the way the force was used in the sequels for example. While "Force healing" I think fits, force projection IMO became ridiculous by Rise of Skywalker, and in a few ways is pretty much almost 'de facto' transporter/teleportation, with stuff such as the necklace, Vader's helmet and the lightsaber able to move through long distances while, except for maybe the rain in TLJ, it was pretty much actual projection.

Although Lucas's idea of the force for the sequels would've intended some kind of Midichlorian stuff I suppose, which the sequel trilogy pretty much shied away from but the Filoni and Favreau series seem to be embracing with both Omega and Grogu being pursued for their "M counts" etc.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-25-2024 at 01:43 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth