View Poll Results: Is Comic Book Movie Fatigue Happening?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I think Audiences Are Finally Getting Tired Of These Movies

57 45.24%
  • No - This has been wildly exaggerated

47 37.30%
  • Too Early To Say Either Way

22 17.46%
Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2666727374757677 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1142
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Then why even mention it? That feels like an exaggeration. Reshoots going longer than the initial shoot is not normal. "literally every film does it" Come on White Guardian, you know that's not true. They're in crisis mode here trying to pull a good movie out of this trainwreck, but most likely they want to put out something akin to a political thriller while being as apolitical as possible. I think it's probably normal for Disney to cut up a body of work so they can put out something that will be lucrative but it's by no means a practice that results in a coherent work and this level of reshoots after the initial shoot is not normal - spells bad news to me.
    It's worth mentioning because it's a good example of a film that is acclaimed(and deservedly so) and yet it had MASSIVE reshoots which means jumping the gun on a film you haven't even seen and have no insider knowledge of what is being reshoot or why is just an example of a very clear negative bias. And it's not like it's the only film to do the same, there are literally hundreds of other examples as it's a crazy common situation.

I mean, if you like coming off as incredibly biased then be my guest, I can't stop you. But it's very easy to see one's bias in this situation and take a step back and say, "Hey, yeah resoots don't objectively mean a film is going to be bad, maybe I'm just letting a really bad bias color my vision."
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 05-07-2024 at 01:07 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's worth mentioning because it's a good example of a film that is acclaimed(and deservedly so) and yet it had MASSIVE reshoots which means jumping the gun on a film you haven't even seen and have no insider knowledge of what is being reshoot or why is just an example of a very clear negative bias. And it's not like it's the only film to do the same, there are literally hundreds of other examples as it's a crazy common situation.

I mean, if you like coming off as incredibly biased then be my guest, I can't stop you. But it's very easy to see one's bias in this situation and take a step back and say, "Hey, yeah resoots don't objectively mean a film is going to be bad, maybe I'm just letting a really bad bias color my vision."
    It's a movie from 1960 though. Your argument doesn't account for how our world has changed and how corporatism has infected everything especially art. But regardless, if today a filmmaker of the same caliber of Stanley Kubrick said "I'm reshooting this film to make it better," I would say that's great, good for him. When Disney does it, for 3 months longer than the initial shoot, I say it's a mess. That's just how the world works.

Also, is "coming off incredibly biased" the new way of saying "you have an opinion that you are making known to people?"
    Last edited by James Cameron; 05-07-2024 at 01:13 PM.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

It's a movie from 1960 though. Your argument doesn't account for how our world has changed and how corporatism has infected everything especially art. But regardless, if today a filmmaker of the same caliber of Stanley Kubrick said "I'm reshooting this film to make it better," I would say that's great, good for him. When Disney does it, for 3 months longer than the initial shoot, I say it's a mess. That's just how the world works.

Also, is "coming off incredibly biased" the new way of saying "you have an opinion that you are making known to people?"
    Corporate films were very much a thing in the 60's...cinema is very much a case of the more things change the more they stay the same. Even Spartacus had over 30 days of studio mandated reshoots in addition to the originally planned 22 days by Kubrick for the big location scenes and there were four months of reshoots based on Dalton Trumbo’s notes.

And when I say" coming off incredibly biased" I mean literally just that. Unless you're holding out on us and have a really awesome scoop on exactly what is being reshot and why then your opinion on the matter is based on nothing more than negative assumptions and not facts which is an example of bias at work.

As I said, it's a free country, you're welcome to continue to make up assumptions on the quality of a film you haven't even so much as seen a trailer for never mind actually seen or have no real knowledge of...but all I'm saying is maybe look at it objectively for just a tiny second and see that your opinion has no real basis in reality and then either own that it's just a biased opinion or decide to actually see the film before passing judgement.

If you're cool with just coming off as biased, that's totally fine but you can't be upset if no one takes your opinion seriously when it falls apart under a second's worth of scrutiny.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 05-07-2024 at 01:29 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I hope the fatigue won't affect the upcoming new Captain America movie.
    Sorry to say this Zauriel, but I'd be shocked if this movie doesn't bomb if even half of what I read about it is true

Regarding the Test Screening:

"Brave New World's test audiences were unimpressed with its action scenes and Cap's chemistry with the female lead. But an even bigger issue was audience response to the film's political content which was not so much divisive as "uninspired and unengaging."

I mean, this isn't a difficult pill to swallow based off the crap Disney has been spewing lately.

All these months of re-shoots are only adding further costs to an already shaky gamble. Disney should probably look at making this a Tax Write Off
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 05-07-2024 at 01:32 PM.

Corporate films were very much a thing in the 60's...cinema is very much a case of the more things change the more they stay the same.

And when I say" coming off incredibly biased" I mean literally just that. Unless you're holding out on us and have a really awesome scoop on exactly what is being reshot and why then your opinion on the matter is based on nothing more than negative assumptions and not facts which is an example of bias at work.

As I said, it's a free country, you're welcome to continue to make up assumptions on the quality of a film you haven't even so much as seen a trailer for never mind actually seen or have no real knowledge of...but all I'm saying is maybe look at it objectively for just a tiny second and see that your opinion has no real basis in reality.

If you're cool with just coming off as biased, that's totally fine but you can't be upset if no one takes your opinion seriously when it falls apart under a second's worth of scrutiny.
    Where do you draw the line with bias and an opinion?

Can it be my opinion that reshoots going longer than the initial shoot is a sign of the film being a mess or is that bias? And why?

I'm considering your track record of being argumentative and contrarian in this thread when people express negative feelings about the MCU or CBMs in general. Are you sure I'm not just offending you?

And if it's totally fine why not let it go? I've never been upset, I don't think either of our opinions are falling apart. You're clearly upset about my opinion but... who cares? We can just move on
    Last edited by James Cameron; 05-07-2024 at 01:29 PM.
    They/Them

Where do you draw the line with bias and an opinion?

Can it be my opinion that reshoots going longer than the initial shoot is a sign of the film being a mess or is that bias? And why?

I'm considering your track record of being argumentative and contrarian in this thread when people express negative feelings about the MCU or CBMs in general. Are you sure I'm not just offending you?

And if it's totally fine why not let it go? I've never been upset, I don't think either of our opinions are falling apart. You're clearly upset about my opinion but... who cares? We can just move on
    It's a bias when it's based on nothing even approaching a fact.

There's no offense of upset here, I'm just suggesting trying to be a tiny bit objective: which means when you know nothing about what is actually going on or why it's happening and haven't even seen a trailer, how can you actually have an opinion on quality? It just doesn't logically make any kind of sense and just wreaks of bias instead of objectivity and that's pretty much been my point since this thread began.

It's a bias when it's based on nothing even approaching a fact.

There's no offense of upset here, I'm just suggesting trying to be a tiny bit objective: which means when you know nothing about what is actually going on or why it's happening and haven't even seen a traile, how can you actually have an opinion on quality? It just doesn't logically make any kind of sense.
    Wait, is that the definition of an opinion? It has to be based on something approaching a fact?

I think that's a scary way of thinking. Opinions should be based on feelings and beliefs as well as facts. That's what makes being human so wonderful. If I'm at the store and see a bag of chips with a tiny tear on it, and decide not to buy it because it's shady to me, is that biased? I have no factual evidence that the chips are contaminated. It's a gut feeling.

I've seen enough MCU films and recent blockbusters in general that have gone through reshoots and the movie is usually middling quality at best. So when I hear that this movie is going through extensive reshoots long after the initial shoot, I say that sounds like a mess. It's my opinion based on my opinion of past MCU flicks and the current climate.

Guardian. I'm not always going to have opinions people agree with. And I actually welcome debate. But don't fly in my face telling me "it's fine, it's totally cool you feel that way" when clearly it is not fine with you. You don't need to say I'm upset or that my opinion is falling apart when you just disagree. I'm happy you're excited for the film or at the very least waiting for more stuff from it to come out before making any judgments. But not everyone is like you. And that's ok!!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member

Disney’s streaming business turns a profit in first financial report since challenge to Iger
    https://apnews.com/article/disney-ig...91dd1315b6c9aa

Disney’s Entertainment Streaming Business Ekes Out Surprise Profit as Disney+ Core Subscribers Top 117 Million
    https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/dis...it-1235993204/

A Video talking about it is posted here as well.
    Disney+ Becomes Profitable For The First Time
    THREAD: MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE PART II
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...05#post6808605
    Last edited by mace11; 05-07-2024 at 08:02 PM.

Well ... Somebody at Disney agrees the MCU needs to be seen as an event again.

Louis D’Esposito said they're dialing back and alluded to announced projects being combined/moved.

Iger then said they're cutting back to 2-3 movies a year, and 2 D+ shows.

I think that's good.

Guess that means Blade is getting bumped?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Disney’s streaming business turns a profit in first financial report since challenge to Iger
    https://apnews.com/article/disney-ig...91dd1315b6c9aa

Disney’s Entertainment Streaming Business Ekes Out Surprise Profit as Disney+ Core Subscribers Top 117 Million
    https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/dis...it-1235993204/

A Video talking about it is posted here as well.
    Disney+ Becomes Profitable For The First Time
    THREAD: MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE PART II
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...05#post6808605
    It's funny how they took out ESPN+ from their Streaming numbers for Hulu/Disney+...

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Rewatching Endgame the other day, I began to wonder if Marvel did too good a job with phases I-III (The Infinity Saga). They gave a lot of casual fans a handy, quite reasonable off-ramp.
    This is a good observation and if fatigue is happening, this is likely at least one of the many parts/drivers of it. Of course, if true, then it suggests that the masses or casuals were looking for an off-ramp around that time to begin with, which is itself an interesting thing to ponder why that was.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-08-2024 at 12:04 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Endgame was the film that lived up to 19 films worth of build up that, like a social media file nowadays says, "Stay till the end, its worth it"(it rarely is in those cases of course).
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

It would have been better if they could have done buildup to the next phase in parallel with the events leading up the Endgame however Endgame coincided with the end of several contracts and commitments on the part of the main actors, to my understanding. So it wasn't really possible for Marvel to set up and continue the story with the established characters. And it would have been impossible to cram new character introductions into the movies leading up to Endgame. They tried, I guess, with Captain Marvel but it was of limited usefulness I think.

Personally I prefer what they did over the alternative of keeping going with the same heroes. End the previous era and start and new one. Though it was risky as we have seen. That people haven't totally caught on yet is because we have yet to see an Iron Man or Avengers level success. They really need a homerun. Potentially that could be FF or X-Men but Marvel is approaching those properties in a different way from making them the cornerstone of a new era (a mistake, I think).
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well ... Somebody at Disney agrees the MCU needs to be seen as an event again.

Louis D’Esposito said they're dialing back and alluded to announced projects being combined/moved.

Iger then said they're cutting back to 2-3 movies a year, and 2 D+ shows.

I think that's good.

Guess that means Blade is getting bumped?
    Yeah, IMO, less is more.

These movies need to feel like events again.

Regarding Blade, I won't be surprised if that movie gets re-worked from the ground up again. Mahershala Ali is getting up there in age and I'm not sure he'll be able to wait for too long again to make this film.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, IMO, less is more.

These movies need to feel like events again.

Regarding Blade, I won't be surprised if that movie gets re-worked from the ground up again. Mahershala Ali is getting up there in age and I'm not sure he'll be able to wait for too long again to make this film.
    +1. Some years ago, watching an MCU movie felt like a very big deal. I haven’t had the same feeling post Endgame, even though there have been some good movies post that.

Blade is actually one of the movies that I’m excited for. I love the character and I thought two of the three original Blade movies were quite good, so I’m expecting the MCU to deliver on that front