Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Venom, Carnage and Miles didn't appear in the top 50.

I wonder what happened.
    Diamond used to supply monthly data (Top 300) and yearly data of Comic Shop sales - this was obviously more robust on capturing gross receipts by Marvel, but the data would lag on comic buyer purchases*. The ICV2 data that only shows a Top 50 has a few problems that matter less at the top (sure, #1, 2, and 3 on the chart might be transposed due to sampling issues, but they're all strong sellers and who is number one in a given month is less important than who stays a strong seller month over month), but definitely matter at the bottom**. Since we don't get nearly as interesting end of year data (which combines all the months' data) or have sensitivity at the lower ends of the charts, it's impossible to see if there are just shifts in purchasing habits that don't matter or if books we like are really starting to be in trouble.

*For example, most shops will base their orders for, say, Miles Morales 22, on how many sales they made of Miles Morales 18, 19 and maybe 20 (depending on when the order cutoff date is). If something happened in Miles 21 that caused a bunch of people to drop the title, it would not show up in the Diamond-style store sales data until issue 24 or a bit later, but it'd shop up REAL quick in the ICV2-style consumer sales data

**By only going to 50, we don't see a lot of books, and we don't know what ranking matches to what sales level. It's not impossible that some people that buy Miles Morales, a monthly book, only stop by their shop every few weeks, where ASM buyers might be much more likely to come in nearly weekly (since the book comes out twice a month plus the occasional special or tie-in). One could imagine that Miles is landing 30K sales for his book in his current ICV2 month and another 20K in the subsequent ICV2 month (big whatever on the specific numbers) which causes the book not to appear on the chart in either month, but the book has a very healthy 50K sales which Marvel would be happy with. It's also quite possible the numbers are the numbers and the sales on Miles Morales are tanking, but it's a little odd that they'd fall off so much right after an event.
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 05-08-2024 at 06:43 AM.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Spectacular Member Trapgodthanos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Venom, Carnage and Miles didn't appear in the top 50.

I wonder what happened.
    And batman is not even in the top 10? Even when people say they hate it its always been atleast in the top 10. I normally believe these charts but this month seems off to me

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trapgodthanos View Post
    And batman is not even in the top 10? Even when people say they hate it its always been atleast in the top 10. I normally believe these charts but this month seems off to me
    That issue of Batman came out in the previous ICV2 "month" and charted #30 there. It's a good example of the split sales thing I mentioned above. There was no issue of Batman released in the April ICV2 month
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by the human tortilla View Post
    jackpot and black cat is not on the list at least
    Clearly, they should feature Paul on the cover as bait; that would boost sales.

Astonishing Member

The sales are from April 7 to May 4, 2024.

Batman #146 was released April 2, 2024. It ranked 43 this month and 30 last month.

Batman #147 was released May 7, 2024.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by the human tortilla View Post
    jackpot and black cat is not on the list at least
    Not saying that it sold well but Jackpot and Black Cat #2 came out in the last week of the month, these sales charts favor books that are released in the first two weeks. A book have to be a huge seller to enter the top of the charts if they are released in the last week of the month.

Normally, Amazing Spider Man and Batman are the two books that stays high on the charts regardless of their release dates. Ultimate Spider-Man, seems to be now joining the club.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trapgodthanos View Post
    Something may indeed be up, but I know from talking to a couple of Batfans that the directions that the books have taken in the last year have left them cold. In particular, the Batman book itself where one storyline keeps going on. And on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    Something may indeed be up, but I know from talking to a couple of Batfans that the directions that the books have taken in the last year have left them cold. In particular, the Batman book itself where one storyline keeps going on. And on.
    Nothing is up. See my and bob.schoonover's posts above.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Miles Morales has also dropped off the charts. It seemed like the series was picking up steam with the Gang War tie-ins but then it fell out of the Top 50 after the event was over.
    I think the problem is that some readers (of which I admit I am one of) grew tired of the Rabble storyline taking so long to resolve. Eventually you get frustrated when the hero can't take down the villain for awhile

Even Batman has taken a hit but ASM hasn't?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post

Batman #146 was released April 2, 2024. It ranked 43 this month and 30 last month.

Incredible Member

Did Batman REALLY take a "hit"?

If so, DC may as well close its doors.

And Amazing can't take a hit if people keep buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Terrible way of reporting I guess then ��

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Did Batman REALLY take a "hit"?

If so, DC may as well close its doors.

And Amazing can't take a hit if people keep buying it.
    The devotion of MJ fans to hate read is unparalleled

Ultimate Member

Terrible way of reporting I guess then ��
    This basically.

If a title comes out near the end of the month, it doesn't capture the full sales for the month.

Long story short, except for the truly big sellers, release dates completely throw off the charts.