Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The devotion of MJ fans to hate read is unparalleled
    IMO it’s more collectors who can’t bear to miss an issue because it would put a hole in their long running collection.

Also, these charts don’t really tell us anything but ranking in 125 stores. Without actual numbers, we don’t really know how well something is selling.

However, it appears those who don’t like the current ASM are buying USM. The monthly chart doesn’t have the ratios but the weekly top ten charts do. And on the first weekend of release, USM is outselling ASM by more than 2 issues to 1.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

The devotion of MJ fans to hate read is unparalleled
    Im starting to believe that the Mj fans are just a very loud section of the fanbase but not the true representation of the fanbase. Kinda like the vegeta fans in the dbz fandom
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Im starting to believe that the Mj fans are just a very loud section of the fanbase but not the true representation of the fanbase. Kinda like the vegeta fans in the dbz fandom
    Explain USM’s sales compared to ASM’s sales in the first weekend, then.

Explain why USM continues to get reprints.

If you’re going to make the argument for one book, have to make it for the other!
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Incredible Member

Agree. But I will admit that the USM sales may lend some credibility to that fanbase.

Still too early to tell, though.

I buy USM because of my enjoyment of the line in the past, and I'm sure I'm not the only one buying for that reason, but the family aspect may also play a role.

And then there is the solid creative team behind it all. Some will buy just because Hickman is attached.

Astonishing Member

Terrible way of reporting I guess then ��
    It's not ICv2's fault that DC didn't release an issue of Batman in that four week period.

Their reports are exactly what they present them to be, nothing more, nothing less. Since they're Point Of Sale rankings, release dates need to be kept in mind.

Back when Diamond was the lone distributor their rankings had every title on an even playing field, since it was all about what direct market retailers ordered that month. But they didn't present any Point Of Sale data.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Agree. But I will admit that the USM sales may lend some credibility to that fanbase.

Still too early to tell, though.

I buy USM because of my enjoyment of the line in the past, and I'm sure I'm not the only one buying for that reason, but the family aspect may also play a role.

And then there is the solid creative team behind it all. Some will buy just because Hickman is attached.
    There are certainly multiple factors at play. After all, the Secret Wars Renew Your Vows mini-series and now the new Ultimate Spider-Man have both proven to be juggernaut hits in ways that the Renew Your Vows ongoing series, The Lost Hunt mini-series and MC2 Spider-Girl series weren't.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

There are certainly multiple factors at play. After all, the Secret Wars Renew Your Vows mini-series and now the new Ultimate Spider-Man have both proven to be juggernaut hits in ways that the Renew Your Vows ongoing series, The Lost Hunt mini-series and MC2 Spider-Girl series weren't.
    I don't know why I keep forgeting about the Spider-girl book. Especially since I bought that until it finally canx!

That definitely could be a creative team preference where marraige fans weren't drawn in by DeFalco/Olliffe/Frenz.

Astonishing Member

USM #3 and USM #4 against their respective issues of ASM are head to head battles in the same exact market conditions. It’s an apples to apples comparison. USM demonstrates how much money is being left on the table.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 05-08-2024 at 12:42 PM.

— Stan Lee

Astonishing Member

I might be wrong, but I think time skip really hurt Renew Your Vows momentum back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I might be wrong, but I think time skip really hurt Renew Your Vows momentum back then.
    I agree. Speaking for myself...I was enjoying the book until the time jump/creative team change.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Explain USM’s sales compared to ASM’s sales in the first weekend, then.

Explain why USM continues to get reprints.

If you’re going to make the argument for one book, have to make it for the other!
    What are you talking about. The post I was responding to was regarding ASM. The previous poster assumes Mj fans are still hate buying ASM and I don’t believe that and made my comment. You and everyone else already know why USM is outselling ASM. Don’t be acting different now
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

I don't know why I keep forgeting about the Spider-girl book. Especially since I bought that until it finally canx!

That definitely could be a creative team preference where marraige fans weren't drawn in by DeFalco/Olliffe/Frenz.
    Spider-Girl was the perfect "protest vote" book for fans of the Peter/MJ relationship to buy, because it was there and ready at the time. Imagine if Spider-Girl sales soared when MJ died in that plane crash. Imagine if Spider-Girl sales soared again when MJ was revealed to be alive, but left Peter. Imagine if Amazing Spider-Girl sales skyrocketed after One More Day. Didn't happen, but it would have been nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    I agree. Speaking for myself...I was enjoying the book until the time jump/creative team change.
    Anecdotal, but the majority of my community says the time skip was the primary reason they lost interest. And it was for me too, though I still feel it had merit. A lot of the appeal was lost for very little in return and the RYV universe felt undercooked as they rushed so quickly ahead.

Beyond that, another reason many are saying USM is succeeding for them (and with the marriage) is because it’s still primarily a Peter Parker-led story. Not a team book. Not him retired. He’s front and center with his supporting cast doing the support roles they were created to fulfill and elevating the titular hero. I can see and read the difference and I appreciate it.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Incredible Member

Hmmmm...so why is USM so much "more" successful, in terms of sales, than ASM?

Is Marvel actually "leaving money on the table?"

Have fans of the marraige, who weren't actively buying ASM, returned to support USM or are current buying fans simply purchasing multiple issues of USM? Not far-fetched, since if fans who "hate" ASM still buy it, why not have fans willing to buy multiple issues of USM?

If, indeed, fans are buying multiple issues to display a sign of support for family Spider-man, is there actually "money on the table?"

If Marvel buys into that idea and decided to implement family Spider-man into ASM, would BOTH books sell extremely well? Would these same fans buy multiple issues of both ASM and USM?

Cuz it's safe to say these aren't new, out of nowhere, fans. It's the same pot of fans that's always been around.

Regardless of the answers, I'm glad that both books are doing well and all of this is a win-win for Marvel as it currently stands.

What are you talking about. The post I was responding to was regarding ASM. The previous poster assumes Mj fans are still hate buying ASM and I don’t believe that and made my comment.
    The amount of MJ fans complaining about ASM on Twitter while also being some of the first to upload panels each issue makes me think there is a trainwreck fixation going on. Almost all of the comics discourse on that app comes from MJ fans, which is interesting because knowing Twitter's demos, it hints to her gaining younger fans despite the marriage getting KO'd 16 years back.

Of course, as TinkerSpider pointed out, collectors and variants play into the ASM sales equation too.

Astonishing Member

What are you talking about. The post I was responding to was regarding ASM. The previous poster assumes Mj fans are still hate buying ASM and I don’t believe that and made my comment. You and everyone else already know why USM is outselling ASM. Don’t be acting different now
    You said the fans are just loud about hating but aren't a representation of the fanbase. Hence the reference to USM. If they aren't that big and have no affect on sales, then ASM sales should be about the same as USM. But USM sales are more than 2:1 over ASM.

Apologies if I misunderstood!

The amount of MJ fans complaining about ASM on Twitter while also being some of the first to upload panels each issue makes me think there is a trainwreck fixation going on. Almost all of the comics discourse on that app comes from MJ fans, which is interesting because knowing Twitter's demos, it hints to her gaining younger fans despite the marriage getting KO'd 16 years back.

Of course, as TinkerSpider pointed out, collectors and variants play into the ASM sales equation too.
    Gonna point out that sharing a panel on social media doesn't necessarily equal a sale, sadly.

But agree about the demo.

Hmmmm...so why is USM so much "more" successful, in terms of sales, than ASM?

Is Marvel actually "leaving money on the table?"

Have fans of the marraige, who weren't actively buying ASM, returned to support USM or are current buying fans simply purchasing multiple issues of USM? Not far-fetched, since if fans who "hate" ASM still buy it, why not have fans willing to buy multiple issues of USM?
    Can only speak for myself (and several of my friends), so anecdotal only, but yes.

I've bought nearly all the variants and reprints of USM to date. And will continue to do, both so I can share the book with others as I come across people who haven't read it, because I do like the variant covers so far, and because I have the discretionary income to very much put my money where my mouth is.

If, indeed, fans are buying multiple issues to display a sign of support for family Spider-man, is there actually "money on the table?"
    Yes. Although I would buy multiple issues of a Peter Parker who acts like a human character and not a rubber cartoon action figure. Doesn't have to be married

But don’t discount new buyers. There is also anecdotal evidence from LCS owners who said on social media that USM brought new faces into their stores.

If Marvel buys into that idea and decided to implement family Spider-man into ASM, would BOTH books sell extremely well? Would these same fans buy multiple issues of both ASM and USM?
    I would. I know several people who would. But anecdotal so who knows.

I'm going to also point out that Spider-Girl is STILL Marvel's longest running female superhero.

Not Spider-Gwen.

Not She-Hulk.

Spider-Girl. And she hasn't had her own title for nearly 15 years.

Marvel is sitting on gold but some reason refuses to mine this particular one, even when ITSV created almost universal acclaim for a baby Mayday.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 05-08-2024 at 02:11 PM.

— Stan Lee