Thread: Gi Joe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Gi Joe

how is this comic i heard image is going to publish from marvel and idw with 301

Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

GI Joe in general, or the upcoming stuff? Image is going to have a new rebooted GI Joe universe starting with a Duke and Cobra Commander comic etc, and also Larry Hama's classic run will continue with issue 301.

It's a fun franchise in general, plenty of entertaining comics. I'll let other fans chime in on Hama's classic run, I enjoyed some of it like the great silent issue, and have been meaning to get back into it. I also liked IDW's reboot from around 2009, especially the Cobra series written by Costa and co, "The Last Laugh" is an incredible neo-noir tale, with this guy Chuckles going undercover in Cobra. I recommend that to everyone.

Hopefully this new stuff is cool! Skybound seems like a fun place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageJudgeDredd View Post
    It's a fun franchise in general, plenty of entertaining comics. I'll let other fans chime in on Hama's classic run, I enjoyed some of it like the great silent issue, and have been meaning to get back into it.
    Yeah! The Silent Issue is legendary!! Overall, the Hama/Marvel run is Highly Recommended (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-30-2023 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Mighty Member

Marvel IDW and the Upcoming Image

Extraordinary Member

I never read the original Marvel G.I. Joe A Real American Hero (ARAH) run but jumped on the IDW extension of it a few years ago and enjoyed it. It is almost like a creator owned (version of a) comic so everything that comes and goes is part of the writer's, Larry Hama, thought on where to take the story. Like anything else there are some arcs that are more exciting and some issues that fall flat but has sense of both progression and continuity that Marvel/DC comics have lost. The continuation of ARAH at Image is something I am looking forward to.

Mighty Member

I want to start collecting GI Joe and im starting with the upcoming 301.How is the Marvel rum and the IDW run

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    I want to start collecting GI Joe and im starting with the upcoming 301.How is the Marvel rum and the IDW run
    My take:

GI Joe was best during the original Marvel run 1-155 and the Marvel GI Joe Special Missions 1-28.
    Those are the real deal originals at their best.

The problem is, we have not seen any plans for any reprints of the original Marvel years. Its been years since those have seen collections - all well out of print. Im lucky to have completed the full run in issue format years ago before prices got insane.

There was also a mini series written years later by Hama called GI Joe Declassified 1-3 which takes place before the original Marvel issue #1. Its fantastic and can be considered part of the original Marvel run.
    And Hama's Gi Joe Frontline 1-4 which was the first official post #155 material before he started up the series again with 156. Many Joe fans consider those 1-4 Frontline issues to be the "real" ending of the Marvel run.

Hama followed it up years later from 156-300 and im sorry, other than an issue here and there - its no where close to the original Marvel years. Issue 300 in particular was complete crap. Sometimes a writer just gets too old. It happens.
    Issue 263 is a standout however - a memorial issue to all the fallen joes over the years. Moments of that kind of high quality were few and far between of the newest material tho.

There were plenty of runs from the Devil's Due + IDW era and almost all of them werent worth following.
    There was one exception though:
    Costa's Cobra run from the IDW era took the franchise into hyper serious - dark - realistic - territory. Really a nice evolution of the franchise.
    Last edited by Destro777; 09-01-2023 at 02:52 PM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm