Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I'm just hoping this event doesn't immediately erase the powers and abilities Hill spent his entire run building up to

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    After reading Hill's Blade and McKay's Moon Knight, and some comments online, I'm pretty sure I figured out the twist and it's not that Blade is actually a bad guy, and in McKay fashion it actually picks up on existing marvel lore.

spoilers:
    So from McKay's Moon Knight we know that he doesn't love introducing new big villains just for the sake of it, but prefers to make his reveals characters that exist but have been forgotten. We know he likes to drop clues for real fans, and this first issue dropped just about every hint needed. The real villain is probably the spirit of Varnae possessing Blade.

Hints:

1. Blade references using Atlantean magic to detonate the dark hold users. Varnae is one of Atlantis' oldest sorcerors.

2. The command of Bloodstorm. Bloodstorm is the only one of these new villains that existed prior to this event. A hydra clone of Dracula who was a follower of Varnae.

3. Based on Blade's voice and his narration, we can tell this isn't the real Blade. We also know that one thing Blade is particularly resilient against is magical possession, so how could he be possessed? In Hill's Blade we just unlocked his vampiric abilities by drinking Dracula's blood. Dracula got HIS vampiric blood and the title of the lord of Vampires, though, from drinking Varnae's blood. So while being more powerful, Blade also made himself more susceptible to Varnae's influence.

4. The last two are "Blade's" deep understanding of the Montesi formula and hatred of Dr. Strange, through his early run Varnae was consistently at war with the sorcerer Supreme and was consistently fighting with the original Montesi.

5. Varnae has actually attempted to possess Blade before and the ritual was ruined. So this is in alignment with something he's already attempted.

So all in all, it seems like Blade unbeknownst to him, laid the stage for Varnae's possession when he drank Dracula's blood. Varnae likely used the weakened barrier between the world and the supernatural created by the Adana to resurrect, and is taking advantage of the vampire communities McKay set up in his Moon Knight run to take over.

Dracula's role in this is still uncertain and I expect that to be the final twist towards the end, as it did seem out of character for Dracula to be helping Blade the last few years, so it seems like he may have been trying to force Varnae's hand for whatever reason.
    end of spoilers
    This sounds really cool!

spoilers:
    Isn't Dracula going to be teaming-up with Blade' daughter?
    end of spoilers

So, the vampires' plan is to conceal the sun and start an endless night?

Let's say they defeat all superheroes and military forces. And then what? Without the sun, plants can not do photosysthesis and die. If the plants die, all the food chain die in short order... and what will vampires eat?

Ultimate Member

spoilers:
    I liked this start and I think it was a blast. I just hope that Blade here isn't the same Blade that we saw in Hill's run. Hill has done a lot to develop Blade and what's happening here looks like a significant departure
    end of spoilers

I glanced at the checklist on the last page at first and thought “oh. Not bad. Nice tight event”. Then I realized I was only being shown May…
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Two questions, is this 616 or AU?

Are people actually going to go through 60 (well 59 now) issues of this? I know I'm not, i don't have the strength and frankly the patience.
    60 issues = $300.00 (assumes issues priced at/around $4.99 ea).

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm only buying/following the main story plus the Avengers tie-ins. That's all. I'm not really interested in anything else on offer.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Amazing Member

I'm also buying the Doctor Strange and Vengeance of the Moon Knight tie ins (both by Mackay which I was already reading) plus Fantastic Four.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    So, the vampires' plan is to conceal the sun and start an endless night?

Let's say they defeat all superheroes and military forces. And then what? Without the sun, plants can not do photosysthesis and die. If the plants die, all the food chain die in short order... and what will vampires eat?
    I mean they are using the Darkforce to blot out the sun, so literally magic. Everything can be explained that way.

You are not making a clever observation here, its very banal and overused. Literally every time a similar plot like this happens someone always goes "But what about plants?" and its always answered "Cause magic is a thing". Its not that complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I mean they are using the Darkforce to blot out the sun, so literally magic. Everything can be explained that way.

You are not making a clever observation here, its very banal and overused. Literally every time a similar plot like this happens someone always goes "But what about plants?" and its always answered "Cause magic is a thing". Its not that complex.
    Magic does not work that way. Plants do not care why they can't receive sunlight (be it nuclear winter, Earth becoming a rogue planet, magic nonsense, or whatever). There is no sunlight, plants die, period.

Of course, the thing is, what do we talk about when we talk about magic? Are we talking about a fictional force that exists within this fictional universe and which follows some defined rules? Or are we talking a magical magic, where absolutely anything can happen because "it's magic"? Because if that's the case, the Scarlet Witch should be able to close those darkforce leaks, she also manages magic. Or are we talking about the magic of author's convenience? If so, there are no stakes in the story.

I bought the red band version. I saw the replaced panels online. It looks like they just added gore on a few panels to charge an extra 2 bucks. It wasn't a bad book. The art was nice, except for the extra gore. I'll only be buying the rest of the regular issues on this series, and the books I already buy. The set-up is fun, but not amazing enough for me to need to collect them all.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Magic does not work that way. Plants do not care why they can't receive sunlight (be it nuclear winter, Earth becoming a rogue planet, magic nonsense, or whatever). There is no sunlight, plants die, period.

Of course, the thing is, what do we talk about when we talk about magic? Are we talking about a fictional force that exists within this fictional universe and which follows some defined rules? Or are we talking a magical magic, where absolutely anything can happen because "it's magic"? Because if that's the case, the Scarlet Witch should be able to close those darkforce leaks, she also manages magic. Or are we talking about the magic of author's convenience? If so, there are no stakes in the story.
    Magic can work that way, its magic.

But either way its irrelevant. I mean seriously that kind of logistics is unnecessary to the story, it doesn't have anything to do with any stakes. We're doing an invasion and the vampires are blotting out uv rays so they can come out and battle in mass with no restrictions. Its supposed to justify why vampires are now attacking without having to regard their usual issue of not being able to operate in only specific periods of the day.

Caring about "Oh what are they going to do afterwards?" is just being purely pedantic. It doesn't matter to the actual stakes of the story.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 05-02-2024 at 02:09 PM.

Free Comic Book Day Blood Hunt Preview SPOILERS!

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/free...head-spoilers/

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Free Comic Book Day Blood Hunt Preview SPOILERS!

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/free...head-spoilers/
    Spidey was this close to winning a fight!