Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Not for me, too few comics for too much money. I actually stated them but gave up after a few volumes. The pace really hurt, too.

DC are launching 90's nostalgia compendiums in the next 6 months (Lobo, Tim's Robin, Nightwing, Kyle GL) and I honestly hope they sell ridiculously well so DC focus on bulking issues in relatively cheap paperbacks. I love the Marvel Epic Collections for this reason (and the compendiums are bigger!).

As it stands, so much of DC will go uncollected but if they start really taking off and DC can do all of, say, L.E.G.I.O.N. in 2 compendiums at £40 a go, then they'll be on my shelf faster than you can say "hey, that guy's got the complete L.E.G.I.O.N. on his shelf!"
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

As much as I was a fan of some of the material being put out in the archives, I have to agree with some of the posters here. The wait times were excruciatingly long. I can’t wait ten years between volumes. I get the price point because I’m sure there was a lot they had to do to restore those old comics, but fans are spoiled these days with omnibuses and I don’t blame them.

I think a more realistic route would be to resurrect the Showcase Presents line. I think they could produce a lot of their back catalogue in this format, only print it in color. They can still use the old newsprint paper, they wouldn’t have to do restoration on glossy, and I think a lot of fans would eat it up if they believed it was likely to be the only way they could get it collected.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

I mostly got those books from Overstock.com (not realizing yet that I was making money for a fascist), so DC was not making a lot of money from my Archives purchases. I was never paying full price for them.