Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
I have very much enjoyed The Mandolorian, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Ahsoka (even tho, in the latter's case, I'd not watched the animated version). I also thought Rogue One quite good.

It interests me that (IMO) Disney did better by taking the focus away from the central SW story and characters (except for Obi-Wan), and putting it on the edges of their continuity. I can't help seeing parallels between SW and Marvel's development of the MCU that made a bank out of (what were then) the backbench characters. I have to wonder if the creatives just had freedom to do stuff nobody would have allowed with the big names and stories.
I think part of the issue with the ST was that they *did* allow creators to do stuff anyone else wouldn't have let them do - particularly Rian Johnson, but Abrams and LFL also contributed by setting up Johnson to leave a ruin in his wake.

And while I think working with new characters gave creators a lot of freedom, especially on the Disney + shows, I'd argue that TLJ shows where even new characters could be sabotaged by a hostile or indifferent writer, considering how pissed Rey, Finn, Poe, and even Villainous!Kylo fans got after just the second major story featuring those characters.

They did a great job introducing pretty much all their new characters - its just that while Tony Gilroy, Deborah Chow and others pretty clearly loved and respected both the old and new characters, either just Rian Johnson or he and LFL's opinion-makers were disdainful and/or ignorant of the TFA characters and Luke.