Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

One thing with JDM is that there is always tragedy present. We get to feel for the villain or the family caught up in it.

While now in ASM that angle isn’t present so much. There is a different kind of villains. A different kind of tragedy.

JDM challenges you, wants you to think and think about how you use your own empathy. There are always nuances and strands to pick up on. I miss it. It made Peter so relatable, we experienced his own life but we also got to know him as he interacted and experienced these people. The villains, the victims, the ones who blended the lines. It was all so very humane.

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    One thing with JDM is that there is always tragedy present. We get to feel for the villain or the family caught up in it.

While now in ASM that angle isn’t present so much. There is a different kind of villains. A different kind of tragedy.

JDM challenges you, wants you to think and think about how you use your own empathy. There are always nuances and strands to pick up on. I miss it. It made Peter so relatable, we experienced his own life but we also got to know him as he interacted and experienced these people. The villains, the victims, the ones who blended the lines. It was all so very humane.
    Exactly.

It's that extra touch in JMD's character writing that elevates the whole cast he's working with and makes his stories so memorable. For example, I don't care much about the Vulture typically. IMO he's a villain who exists and aside from what Marvel Studios did with him in Homecoming, I haven't really ever been all that impressed with Adrian Toomes as a character. What DeMatteis does with Toomes in the "Funeral Arrangements" storyline in his Spectacular run is phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Billy View Post
    Exactly.

It's that extra touch in JMD's character writing that elevates the whole cast he's working with and makes his stories so memorable. For example, I don't care much about the Vulture typically. IMO he's a villain who exists and aside from what Marvel Studios did with him in Homecoming, I haven't really ever been all that impressed with Adrian Toomes as a character. What DeMatteis does with Toomes in the "Funeral Arrangements" storyline in his Spectacular run is phenomenal.
    JMD writes characters with a depth that's largely been lacking in ASM for a very long time now. I've really missed the characters feelings like real people with real emotions.
    Last edited by Knightsilver; 05-09-2024 at 12:55 PM.

One thing I wonder about is whether this comic will include any mention of Norman having sold Baby Harry's soul to Mephisto. Not that I'm expecting a Mephisto appearance or anything, but if Emily knew that this had happened, it would be all the motivation for her actions in this comic (and for leaving Norman in the first place.)
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    One thing I wonder about is whether this comic will include any mention of Norman having sold Baby Harry's soul to Mephisto. Not that I'm expecting a Mephisto appearance or anything, but if Emily knew that this had happened, it would be all the motivation for her actions in this comic (and for leaving Norman in the first place.)
    Probably not, as DeMatteis doesn't really tend to acknowledge current continuity all that much, though it would make sense if she found out at some point, perhaps through her own kind of Faustian bargain.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    Man I hope not. That was an awful idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Probably not, as DeMatteis doesn't really tend to acknowledge current continuity all that much, though it would make sense if she found out at some point, perhaps through her own kind of Faustian bargain.
    i mean technically he is acknowledging current continuity by using Emily but no Mephisto please
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i mean technically he is acknowledging current continuity by using Emily but no Mephisto please
    Oh, yeah, since Go Down Swinging did reveal Emily was alive all along and posing as her own son's nanny.
    The spider is always on the hunt.