Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

The art looks really good for this. I keep picking up all these different Spider-Man and Spidey related comics because they look good and are very entertaining. With one notable exception.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    The art looks really good for this. I keep picking up all these different Spider-Man and Spidey related comics because they look good and are very entertaining. With one notable exception.
    (Not-so-)Amazing?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    How did Peter learn about the Osborn and Proto Goblin part

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    How did Peter learn about the Osborn and Proto Goblin part
    He says how in the begging of last issue. This is info he was able to piece together over the years

Fantastic Member

I feel bad for the bartender. He is just trying to get through his work shift, and he has to put up with all that. Not cool Flint, not cool at all.

It's interesting comparing Peter's thoughts about Norman compared to their relationship in ASM right now.

Mighty Member

Read issue 2. Made Peter and Sandman both sides of one coin. Hard luck hero to hard luck crook.

Astonishing Member

A really strong issue 2. Brilliant character work by DeMatteis, as always. He makes you invested in everyone, even Norman and Emily, and provides some great depth to the Proto-Goblin and Sandman. Really interested to learn to whom Peter is telling the story.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

It's all about dads and moms.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's all about dads and moms.
    As Multiversity: The Just over at DC quoted from a certain book almost a decade ago, "They f*** you up, your mum and your dad."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

What I thought was great in the issue is that, structure-wise, Sandman is there as padding, so the Proto Goblin plot doesn't go much of anywhere. However, when the fight starts, it just goes so freaking visceral that DeMatteis just forwards the psychological themes effortlessly and weaves the 'padding' in the tale wholesale. Even the bit with Peter and Sandman talking over at the rooftop later is sort of saved by its conclusion, especially with how they don't manage to just pick it back up as proposed.

Of course, it's not all sunshine and rainbows - I think Peter just having such a strong connection to Harry before they were friends is just that sort of "non destructive retcon" that even still is a bit too much to add as baggage, but it's negligible. Especially compared to Lost Hunt, this is DeMatteis in very good form.
    Last edited by IamnotJudasTraveller; 05-08-2024 at 06:12 PM.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Good issue. JDM is making it look so easy, so effortless, when we know it's far from it. I think the art is really strong to. Sandman looked great and the proto-goblins metamorphis also was handled very well.

I have always been a fan of Sandman and I think he's been a mess since they undid his reformation. The split personality over in ASM... sigh. I take this any time over that.

I can't help but wonder whether or not Proto-Goblin will bite the dust by the end of the miniseries. After all, he hasn't "reappeared" in modern continuity since his original -1 issue. In the Ben Reilly mini, JMD put Spidercide into a coma to explain his absence, but I can't see him relying on the same ending again so soon. And considering the Proto-Goblin is a rather tragic figure, I can see him maybe doing something honorable or heroic in the last issue that costs him his life.

But in general, like others have said, the first two issues of this miniseries have been absolutely excellent.

-Pav, who was taken out of the story a LITTLE by the news referring to the character as "Proto-Goblin" when there's really no reason for it in-story...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Fantastic Member Hurricane Billy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I can't help but wonder whether or not Proto-Goblin will bite the dust by the end of the miniseries. After all, he hasn't "reappeared" in modern continuity since his original -1 issue. In the Ben Reilly mini, JMD put Spidercide into a coma to explain his absence, but I can't see him relying on the same ending again so soon. And considering the Proto-Goblin is a rather tragic figure, I can see him maybe doing something honorable or heroic in the last issue that costs him his life.

But in general, like others have said, the first two issues of this miniseries have been absolutely excellent.

-Pav, who was taken out of the story a LITTLE by the news referring to the character as "Proto-Goblin" when there's really no reason for it in-story...
    Considering how DeMatteis' Spectacular Spider-Man run ended way back when, I definitely suspect the Proto-Goblin is going to have a similarly tragic death by the end of this story.