Page 379 of 422 FirstFirst ... 279329369375376377378379380381382383389 ... LastLast
Results 5,671 to 5,685 of 6321

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    That is what he said before you edited out that part.
    "Agreed. For some people, the price of gas a week before Election Day will decide who they vote for. Not decades of evidence about the men they’re picking between.
    I mean, I KNOW it’s a racist dog whistle to suggest that people should have to pass a basic civics test in order to vote? But I am quite confident that more cishet white people - who have the luxury of willful ignorance, and distractions like complacency and narcissism - would be excluded from voting than minorities (who do NOT have the same luxuries or privilege), if we actually implemented such a thing…"

Where?

But, anyways, apparently it's all 'satire', he doesn't actually think that cis het white men are more likely to fail a civics test bla bla....... but it was so witty and smart! (/sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    It's called satire. Maybe not the most clever satire, but satire nevertheless.
    I think that's the problem. Satire and clever usually go hand in hand. Jonathan Swift he ain't.
    Last edited by hyped78; 05-09-2024 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That's an anecdote, not data. Obviously not 100% of black women will vote for Biden...

Also, on that video she is protesting against something she feels is incorrect, but it's not like she's saying she's gonna vote for Trump!
    Last edited by hyped78; 05-09-2024 at 01:40 AM.

Republicans: Real Men Wear Diapers
    https://news.sky.com/story/donald-tr...ppies-13129050

You can't make this stuff up. When it looks like we've seen all the nutty, deranged stuff MAGA has to offer, they say "hold my beer"

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I'm going by numbers, not vibes. I should have specified that.
    He knows -- he just ignores data when it doesn't suit his agenda of trying to use black people (and others) to attack Democrats.

He does the same thing nearly every time black voters are mentioned despite showing little to no concern for actual black voting rights.

What you said is true regardless of his attempt at deflection.

It's also important to remember that a large percentage of the Democratic candidates are black women -- something else that can't be said for the openly racist Republican party.

When someone constantly criticizes Democrats over black voters but ignores blatant racism from the Republican party that is obvious bias -- but of course anyone really concerned about black voters knows this.

-----

"16 million Black women are eligible to vote, and 67% are registered.

Black women made up 17% of voters who cast ballots in the 2017 recent U.S. Senate special election in Alabama, but they account for less than 14% of the state’s population.

94% of Black women voters supported Hilary Clinton in the 2016 Presidential Election.

96% of Black women voted for Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012, providing the margin he needed to win two presidential terms.

90% of Black women voted for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in 2020 securing the administration’s win.

First Black woman Vice President

31 Black women serving in Congress — the most ever — 30 are serving in the U.S. House of Representatives, and one in the U.S. Senate,

Black women are currently 4.3% of all state legislators compared to 2.3% in 1999, and they make up nearly 15% of all women state legislators today.

Black women are serving as mayors in 8 of the nation’s 100 most populous U.S. cities compared to just 2 in 2014.

-----

https://www.higherheightsforamericap...by-the-numbers
    /

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There's some pushback against the question, but there is a reality that Hamas is not getting the message that everyone in the civilized world sees them as a force for evil on par with the Nazis (in terms of what they want to do, and what they're doing when they can.) Too many of Israel's critics are playing footsie with vile antisemites and terrorists, and there should be the same criticism against that as there would be against conservatives who aren't as eager to bash white nationalists.

Too many Republicans are playing footsie with Nazis and white supremacists -- even re-electing one as their leader.

In reality there has been frequent criticism against "conservatives" who engage in anti-semitism -- which you have likewise frequently ignored.

Now that conservatives believe they can use it to attack Democrats however suddenly it is a key issue for politically hypocritical Republicans.

Nearly everyone agrees that Hamas should be eliminated -- what you are ignoring is that innocent civilians should not have to die in the process.

And if you are ignoring the thousands of innocent lives that are lost as a result of Netanyahu's actions then it only confirms that you lack empathy for any view, or life, that is not your own.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-09-2024 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    He knows -- he just ignores data when it doesn't suit his agenda of trying to use black people (and others) to attack Democrats.

He does the same thing nearly every time black voters are mentioned despite showing little to no concern for actual black voting rights.

What you said is true regardless of his attempt at deflection.

-----

"16 million Black women are eligible to vote, and 67% are registered.

Black women made up 17% of voters who cast ballots in the 2017 recent U.S. Senate special election in Alabama, but they account for less than 14% of the state’s population.

94% of Black women voters supported Hilary Clinton in the 2016 Presidential Election.

96% of Black women voted for Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012, providing the margin he needed to win two presidential terms.

90% of Black women voted for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in 2020 securing the administration’s win."

https://www.higherheightsforamericap...by-the-numbers
    /
    The support is undeniable, but I'm surprised that there was a drop in 4% between Hillary and Biden (94% to 90%) - but this doesn't take into account actual participation numbers, right? (more/less black women voting)

As in: could it be that there was a slight drop of 4% but actually more black women voted in 2020 than in 2016 and so the net effect might even be positive?

I'm asking/thinking about this because obviously this is quite important in 2024.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    The support is undeniable, but I'm surprised that there was a drop in 4% between Hillary and Biden (94% to 90%) - but this doesn't take into account actual participation numbers, right? (more/less black women voting)

As in: could it be that there was a slight drop of 4% but actually more black women voted in 2020 than in 2016 and so the net effect might even be positive?

I'm asking/thinking about this because obviously this is quite important in 2024.
    The blunt reality is that "black" voters should not have to be counted on to save American democracy from the abyss.

The increasing number of black, brown and Asian political leaders (Obama, Sotomayor, Kamala, etc) also should not be ignored in terms of represenation.

And your point about racism against white men is understood -- no one should feel that they are discriminated against by their government or because of their background.

In America however nearly all of the data indicates that being a "white male" is a net positive with regards to racism and discrimination.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-09-2024 at 03:04 AM.

The blunt reality is that "black" voters should not have to be counted on to save American democracy from the abyss.

The increasing number of black, brown and Asian political leaders (Obama, Sotomoyor, Kamala, etc) also should not be ignored in terms of represenation.

And your point about racism against white men is understood -- no one should feel that they are discriminated against by their government or because of their background.

In America however nearly all of the data indicates that being a "white male" is a net positive with regards to racism and discrimination.
    I know, but you know better than me that the more black voters in swing states stay at home in November, the more likely it would be that you get MAGA for 4 more years. Biden needs to run up the number of black voters.

"no one should feel that they are discriminated against by their government or because of their background" - yes, this is exactly my point. Democrats represent inclusion. The "us vs. them" mentality is represented by the extremists to divide people.

"nearly all of the data indicates that being a "white male" is a net positive with regards to racism and discrimination" - of course, I know that.
    Last edited by hyped78; 05-09-2024 at 02:55 AM.

Ultimate Member

I know, but you know better than me that the more black voters in swing states stay at home in November, the more likely it would be that you get MAGA for 4 more years. Biden needs to run up the number of black voters.
    No -- Americans need to stop voting for racist criminal fascists.

Your point is understood but in the end this is about personal responsibility in the age of information -- people know what Trump is and if they still vote for him then that is on them.

It's important to note that America would not even be in this position if it had two ethically viable candidates -- but Republicans haven't understood that principle since at least before Nixon.

-----

"Richard Nixon's racism and bigotry are well-established, largely due to the approximately 3,432 hours of secret recordings he made during his presidency. The Miller Center began its Presidential Recordings Program in 1998 to make accessible these and other once-secret White House tapes, which continue to offer insights about not only Nixon but also the many individuals of the era who are featured in the recordings -- including Ronald Reagan, then governor of California...."

https://millercenter.org/the-preside...nixon-and-race
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 05-09-2024 at 03:09 AM.

Ultimate Member

There are also much larger issues at play than just Trump -- this is an ongoing concentrated conservative effort to overthrow the foundations of American democracy.

The overturning of Roe vs. Wade and the elimination of the Voting Rights Act did not begin -- and will not end -- with Trump.

Your point is understood but in the end this is about personal responsibility in the age of information -- people know what Trump is and if they still vote for him then that is on them.
    Of course, I agree with you. But the priority is to ensure that Trump doesn't win again.

The rest, the change that needs to happen that you allude to, is a slow moving thing, it will probably take decades to get there (if the US ever gets there, I am not optimistic...) - November 2024 is right around the corner

"the age of information" - by the way, I think the age of information swings both ways. It allows people to be much better informed, but it also allows for the easy dissemination of fake news and hate content, e.g. accounts like Libs of Tik Tok didn't have a platform to spread crap 15, 20 years ago
    Last edited by hyped78; 05-09-2024 at 03:17 AM.

There are also much larger issues at play than just Trump -- this is a concentrated conservative effort to overthrow the foundations of American democracy.
    And that's why they must be stopped. People should go out and vote and vote for Biden rather than doing "Uncommitted" protest votes, or voting for RFK Jr/Cornel West/Jill Stein, or even not vote at all...

The woman in numberthirty's video (and, again, the video shows an anecdote but not a trend/data), if she doesn't vote for Biden in November, in the end she's just hurting herself.

You know the MAGA mob are gonna show up and vote, so Dems need their base - which is composed of all races - to show up and vote, to counter that and hopefully win the election.

I know it doesn't stop with Trump, but at this very moment the short-term goal is to stop Trump. The next day will be the next day...

Last edited by hyped78; 05-09-2024 at 03:19 AM.

Ultimate Member

Of course, I agree with you. But the priority is to ensure that Trump doesn't win again.
    Depends on your perspective -- a reckoning is due regardless.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

It's important to note that America would not even be in this position if it had two ethically viable candidates -- but Republicans haven't understood that principle since at least before Nixon.

-----

"Richard Nixon's racism and bigotry are well-established, largely due to the approximately 3,432 hours of secret recordings he made during his presidency. The Miller Center began its Presidential Recordings Program in 1998 to make accessible these and other once-secret White House tapes, which continue to offer insights about not only Nixon but also the many individuals of the era who are featured in the recordings -- including Ronald Reagan, then governor of California...."

https://millercenter.org/the-preside...nixon-and-race
    People who vote for Trump do so mostly for one simple reason---HATE. Trump hates the same people (minorities, immigrants, gays) they hate, that's why they love him so much, that's why their support of him is so unwavering. Speaking of racism, I found this little gem on X/Twitter:

Ramaswamy Hails Ann Coulter for Telling Him ‘Flat-Out to My Face’ She Wouldn’t Vote for Him Because He’s ‘An Indian’

MAN Coulter said the quiet part out loud. You can't tell me other right wingers don't feel the exact same way but didn't have the balls to come out and actually say what Coulter did. Welcome to the Qpublican Party, Vivek!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    MAN Coulter said the quiet part out loud. You can't tell me other right wingers don't feel the exact same way but didn't have the balls to come out and actually say what Coulter did. Welcome to the Qpublican Party, Vivek!
    Wow, how ironic is that for Vivek? And for others like e.g. Tim Scott

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

"Agreed. For some people, the price of gas a week before Election Day will decide who they vote for. Not decades of evidence about the men they’re picking between.
    I mean, I KNOW it’s a racist dog whistle to suggest that people should have to pass a basic civics test in order to vote? But I am quite confident that more cishet white people - who have the luxury of willful ignorance, and distractions like complacency and narcissism - would be excluded from voting than minorities (who do NOT have the same luxuries or privilege), if we actually implemented such a thing…"

Where?
    Everything he says about it is in conditional case because he first says that it is a bad and racist thing. I don't see what there is NOT to get, frankly.