Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A New, Inclusive Edit of the Films?

So we all know about the THX cut of the original trilogy and the extra bits they added in. Mostly just little background cameos, three second shots of spaceships zipping around, and a few changes to the story that've become infamous. Back in the day I was hyped about an updated edit, but like many of us, I've come to view those changes to the OG films as an overall negative.

So I don't really suggest this as anything I actually advocate, but I'm curious what people think. Should/could Disney release a new cut of the original and prequel films that add in characters like Rex, Hera Syndulla, Ahsoka, etc?

I wouldn't support any major changes or anything. But for fun I'd entertain an argument for, say, having Hera at the battle of Yavin, getting a line or two of dialogue, and a quick shot of the Ghost shooting down TIEs. I might entertain the idea of seeing Grogu in a background shot at the Jedi temple. The whole "Rex at Endor" thing is quasi-canon so why not add him into the background as the head of the soldiers? I wouldn't necessarily argue against a quick epilogue scene in Episode 2 that introduces Ahsoka, and one in Episode 3 resolving her absence.

And while I don't advocate for this, I'd actively argue against it if it meant the original versions became impossible to find. If the OG cuts are still available I'd be more open to an extended version that folds in a few characters who 'should' have been around and are popular/timeless enough to 'deserve' it.

Lot of reasons not to do it. First being that as new characters get introduced you'll find more push to do *another* edit that adds in the new face, and eventually you'll have films that are just six hours each of nothing but cameos and name-drops. It's a pandora's box that's already cracked open and I don't relish the idea of throwing it wide. But the extended media stuff outside of the Skywalker films is pretty entrenched and canonically important and I can't say it'd be 'unfair' to see *some* of that interaction/connection go both ways. And Lucas cracked this box already; I'd never suggest something like this if Lucas hadn't done it already. I mean, these movies were finished products last century, why change them? But Lucas did, so maybe it's okay if someone like Ahsoka gets a tiny bit of recognition (again, I don't really want this, just playing devil's advocate a bit).

Haven't seen this discussed around here before, just us complaining about Han not shooting first and such. Figured it might be worth a conversation, if just to point out all the reasons it's a bad idea.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-21-2023 at 02:42 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.