Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I think something that adds to the TP in diamond form confusion is that some writers try to depict a scene in which she's engaging in TP activity just as she left diamond form... and the artist, for visual effect, has the TP speech bubble appear while she's mid-transformation. If the artist can't make the mid-transformation part clear, it may be confusing. I remember a specific Phoenix Endsong panel where this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This aint a form of TK. If Emma has TK its not particularly strong and definitly wouldnt be powerful enough of her to use it on such a precise molecular level. i would need to see her actively pick up a pen before I could see her doing that. I think the diamond form is exactly what it was presented to be; a secondary mutation
    Emma was confirmed a latent TK user in Generation X. Synch was able to use telekinesis when synching with her (and the narrator specifies it is Emma's powers he's using, not M's), and there's an issue where she unconsciously has objects levitating while she's asleep.
    But that was before she moved to the big leagues, writers and editors during that time didn't have to worry about her powers being the same as Jean's and Psylocke's since she wasn't going to be around them. Once Morrison came in, TK potential was dropped in favor of the diamon form, and for all intents and purposes her TK doesn't exist anymore. Specially because now it would be even worse, with Charles developing TK as well and with Rachel and Kwannon having that same powerset.

But it is as you say, the official explanation is that it is a secondary mutation, and not related at all with TK. The headcanon that her latent TK has something to do with her diamond form is interesting, but I think that's not something that will ever be addressed on panel. It could work like Avatar's earthbenders being able to bend eiter metal or magma, but not both, because to bend metal one has to be strict and stern in personality, while to bend magma one has to be malleable. Maybe during the Genosha attack all of Emma's TK potential turned to her own preservation and "crystalized" as a diamond and remained as such.

Quote Originally Posted by The Regent View Post
    Thanks for the responses... Now how was she able to survive a celestial blast?
    Emma's diamond form is only named "diamond" due to appearance, but in-universe it's been shown to be far stronger than real-world diamonds. Diamonds in real life are very hard but also very brittle... while her DF isn't brittle and she has survived the Genoshan attack, a celestial blast, adamantium claws, etc. thanks to it. If she was like our diamonds, she would have shattered many times more already haha.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManLogan View Post
    Emma's diamond form is only named "diamond" due to appearance, but in-universe it's been shown to be far stronger than real-world diamonds. Diamonds in real life are very hard but also very brittle... while her DF isn't brittle and she has survived the Genoshan attack, a celestial blast, adamantium claws, etc. thanks to it. If she was like our diamonds, she would have shattered many times more already haha.
    This is something the movies horribly screwed up. Emma's diamond form gets cracked by Magneto VERY carefully so he doesn't fully shatter her.... Obviously, this works as a visual way to threaten her. Thing is... what next? Wouldn't Emma DIE if she switches to human form while her neck is cracked?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I love Emma's "light spears!!!" Outside of the "Pryde of the X-Men" cartoon the only time I saw them in use was a pack-in comic with the computer game X-Men: Madness in Murder World. (the comic was more fun than the game, btw.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

This wouldn't feel out of place in X-Men '97 to be honest.

Which reminds me, I've seen some fans say that Emma (and a few other telepaths) have done physical damage by channeling their telepathy into energy in the past. Is there any truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Which reminds me, I've seen some fans say that Emma (and a few other telepaths) have done physical damage by channeling their telepathy into energy in the past. Is there any truth to this?
    Back in the 80s when Psylocke just had telepathy and the occasional precognition, she had a unique ability called a Psycho-Blast that also had some physical force to it.

Are there any characters who have only telepathy these days? So many characters have added TK or other abilities. I'm surprised they even allowed Xavier to get a TK upgrade.
    Last edited by nightw1ng; 05-10-2024 at 02:54 AM.

Spectacular Member

Emma’s done this once in Gen X where she blasted Monet to the ground by channeling ambient psionic energy in the air through
    Her body in a “psionic lightning bolt”. She’s also done it as a Hail Mary attack when fighting the Phoenix that caused a building to blow up. I feel it’s debatable on whether the physical destruction in that scenario was Emma or if it was the Phoenix recoiling in response to Emma’s attack but the writing never says anything about the latter so I feel it was likely Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Back in the 80s when Psylocke just had telepathy and the occasional precognition, she had a unique ability called a Psycho-Blast that also had some physical force to it.

Are there any characters who have only telepathy these days? So many characters have added TK or other abilities. I'm surprised they even allowed Xavier to get a TK upgrade.
    The weaker psis with more specialized forms of TP like Karma, Empath and Dani Moonstar would count. I know Dani has other powers but those are tied to her being a Valkyrie, not a mutant and she doesnt regular have access to them. I want to cheat and say the Cuckoos bc they never use the diamond form or TK, probably bc most writers arent even aware of that

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicHobo View Post
    Emma’s done this once in Gen X where she blasted Monet to the ground by channeling ambient psionic energy in the air through
    Her body in a “psionic lightning bolt”. She’s also done it as a Hail Mary attack when fighting the Phoenix that caused a building to blow up. I feel it’s debatable on whether the physical destruction in that scenario was Emma or if it was the Phoenix recoiling in response to Emma’s attack but the writing never says anything about the latter so I feel it was likely Emma.
    One of the most amusing quirks of telekinesis was Psylocke. She at one time could make psionic weapons, OR crush things with brute force... but NOT telekinetically pick up a penny.

It's an interesting idea of looking at precision of control.

The Emma thing could be that Emma lacks the ability to actually generate the TK energy needed and has to, with great effort, pull it into her from her environment, THEN use it as an attack.

Raw TK power for Emma might be that she can barely levitate a penny normally?

by Seye.

by Seye.
    That is so invasive and rude of Xavier to use his TP to wake people up

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I'm glad it's not the blue lip stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    That is so invasive and rude of Xavier to use his TP to wake people up
    It's kind of funny that almost every mutant there had no where else to go. And as a result has to participate in his army.