Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    As much as I would LOVE to see that, with the luck we have had until know with this stinking run, I think it's way more probably MJ turns into vampire and Peter is forced to impale her, partially in retribution for her "betrayal".
    Well, that would utterly suck, pun (somewhat) intended.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Don’t know if you noticed, but in the end Garlador went with making him an outright villain.

And also, comics only have 20-30 pages an issue. There's barely enough story per issue to justify $4.99, there's absolutely no way they are going to put a backup in each issue. The book is called The Amazing Spider-Man. That's who people spend their hard earned money on to read about.

Paul doesn't have a character because the current creative team doesn't want him to have a character. The end.

It's not like the writing in this run has been stellar on any account. Paul is only one sympton. There are multiple ways this run alienates the audience, starting with a Peter Parker who has spent much of this run falling down after a few punches and being wholly ineffectual.

And now, I'm going to go back to discussing Mary Jane, because she's the topic of the thread. Not bad writing and plot obstacles that are going to be memory holed as soon as this run is over.

I agree no one is angry. We're just bored and tired of having our time wasted with the obvious spinning tires going nowhere.

And I think you're confusing Jonathan Caesar with another character? Caesar is the man who was obsessed with MJ and kidnapped her around ASM 308-309 - a story that once again demonstrated MJ didn't need no stinking super powers to take care of herself - and to save Peter as well.

The only kernel of good storytelling that I could ever see coming from Jackpot is how she is likely to handle her enemies. As the above shows, she is not afraid to hit her enemies hard. She did not seem particularly worried about the thought of killing those thugs. A situation where she responds to a situation in a way Peter would not could be an interesting story.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Lowe confirming that Jackpot stuff is temporary and it seemed more of a pro MJ letter pages. Which is interesting change of pace. She's been more involved in phase 3. So we'll see if she even is in the goblin arc

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    The only kernel of good storytelling that I could ever see coming from Jackpot is how she is likely to handle her enemies. As the above shows, she is not afraid to hit her enemies hard. She did not seem particularly worried about the thought of killing those thugs. A situation where she responds to a situation in a way Peter would not could be an interesting story.
    An ordinary civilian using guns/deadly force to defend against supervillains is different from someone with powers using deadly force. So, having MJ as Jackpot be more brutal then Peter wouldn't be a contrast with Peter's methods so much as a contrast with who she has been depicted to be over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Lowe confirming that Jackpot stuff is temporary and it seemed more of a pro MJ letter pages. Which is interesting change of pace. She's been more involved in phase 3. So we'll see if she even is in the goblin arc
    That's a level of honesty I wouldn't have expected. Then again, Jackpot was pretty much DoA so...

That's basically what I've been saying would happen, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    An ordinary civilian using guns/deadly force to defend against supervillains is different from someone with powers using deadly force. So, having MJ as Jackpot be more brutal then Peter wouldn't be a contrast with Peter's methods so much as a contrast with who she has been depicted to be over the years.
    She knows how to use a gun. I remember her fantasy of even going Punisher on her stalker.

“MJ’s a fighter. I never had to worry about her the way I did Gwen.”

One of the few civilian characters who held her own.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Spectacular Member

I don't know how much longer Jackpot will be a thing for, but I can say that in my opinion they definitely have not explored anything interesting with the character at all which seems to be their justification for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifetap View Post
    I don't know how much longer Jackpot will be a thing for, but I can say that in my opinion they definitely have not explored anything interesting with the character at all which seems to be their justification for doing it.
    Unless they announce further project titles with MJ being Jackpot, I can expect it to be over by the end of the run. I cannot see this anything else that "keeping MJ away from Peter and ASM for as long as possible, even better for the ediotoral if it becomes permament". With everything thus far, it's clear that they don't really care about her character.

I guess we'll see. Even if she has a role in the upcoming arc, I don't have that much hope that it will be important. With Wells, anything could happen - it might as well be that MJ will be there for "drama", while the least expected person will save Peter.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konnik92 View Post
    I guess we'll see. Even if she has a role in the upcoming arc, I don't have that much hope that it will be important. With Wells, anything could happen - it might as well be that MJ will be there for "drama", while the least expected person will save Peter.
    Yes it will be either living brain or someone like Paul sacrificing himself to be the new living brain because the sinister six actually accomplish what they set out to do and kill the living brain

Astonishing Member

It better be temporally. Mary Jane with powers is a good idea, but "Jackpot" is a bad execution.

Basically: Spinneret-good, Jackpot-bad.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    It better be temporally. Mary Jane with powers is a good idea, but "Jackpot" is a bad execution.

Basically: Spinneret-good, Jackpot-bad.
    IMO, I agree with this statement, Jackpot's power is too convenient or what kind of limit is there and what power it, with Spinneret you know how it work and what are the limits, you can she MJ have some struggle with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 9AlphaOmega1 View Post
    IMO, I agree with this statement, Jackpot's power is too convenient or what kind of limit is there and what power it, with Spinneret you know how it work and what are the limits, you can she MJ have some struggle with it.
    On paper I feel like it lends itself to MJ's adaptability, but execution-wise...it's just kind of there.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    On paper I feel like it lends itself to MJ's adaptability, but execution-wise...it's just kind of there.
    It doesn't help that the first thing the one shot and mini did was eliminate the point of a random power character. She can no longer get 'bad' powers and if she doesn't get ideal powers she doesn't have to adapt as she can just spin again until she gets something useful with no drawback other than time it takes to spin from what I can recall.

So basically they took a deus ex machina power and decided they didn't even want to try to take the effort to creatively hide it. Like when trying to get into the ship in the first issue we have seen how many powers in previous chapters but she gets exactly the power she needs on the second spin?