Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

In today's Captain America, good old Steve visits my country; he goes to the Atacama Desert (in the comic, it says "the driest in South America", but I think it's the driest in the world) to rescue a man from the clutches of Death. As Death can't directly interfere, it uses the life of the President's son, that hangs in the balance due to sickness, to get soldiers to deal with Captain America and his new-found partner. Fun to think about it, as the current president of Chile is 38 years old, single, and has no offspring.

Jesus Saiz is back, so the comic looks beautiful, there's a penguin and a cool twist at the end. Overall, a good issue , I enjoyed it a lot.
    Last edited by Chubistian; 05-08-2024 at 07:44 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Also in today's Avengers

Jed Mackay should write more Steve.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Also in today's Avengers

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jed Mackay should write more Steve.
    Yes. Yes, he should. I especially loved his part in Mackay's Black Cat series, during the tie-in to the King in Black saga, where Felicia remarked to herself that for all her cynicism, only Cap could get her to genuinely believe just from hearing him speak, even if only for a moment. Somewhat reminded me of the 90s Spider-Man animated series' take on Secret Wars, in which she wanted to get to know Captain America better out of curiosity for the original Super-Soldier. (Yes, 90s animated Spider-Man had Black Cat gain her powers from a recreation of Project Rebirth's Super-Soldier Serum, for those who didn't know.)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    In today's Captain America, good old Steve visits my country; he goes to the Atacama Desert (in the comic, it says "the driest in South America", but I think it's the driest in the world) to rescue a man from the clutches of Death. As Death can't directly interfere, it uses the life of the President's son, that hangs in the balance due to sickness, to get soldiers to deal with Captain America and his new-found partner. Fun to think about it, as the current president of Chile is 38 years old, single, and has no offspring.

Jesus Saiz is back, so the comic looks beautiful, there's a penguin and a cool twist at the end. Overall, a good issue , I enjoyed it a lot.
    I liked this issue as well. There were all of these quirky, fascinating moments that made me stop and think. The character with the tattoo saying how we are all mutants. The performances at the Cabaret. Those were cool. There was some subtext in that as well. Here is Steve Rogers who's this epitome of a the status quo white, male hero. And yet, he accepts and is open to all of these quirky elements around him. Now, we've seen this before. Steve looks like the idealized "ubermench" but instead of oppressing others, he liberates and uplifts. It shouldn't surprise us that he's open and accepting of others considering who his allies have been throughout the Marvel Universe. However, this issue just reinforces all of that.

In any case, there was also a good amount of action here. I said before that this isn't a typical story where Steve punches Nazis, but he is punching out soldiers.

JMS pulled a good balance here. I like where this story is going.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I liked this issue as well. There were all of these quirky, fascinating moments that made me stop and think. The character with the tattoo saying how we are all mutants. The performances at the Cabaret. Those were cool. There was some subtext in that as well. Here is Steve Rogers who's this epitome of a the status quo white, male hero. And yet, he accepts and is open to all of these quirky elements around him. Now, we've seen this before. Steve looks like the idealized "ubermench" but instead of oppressing others, he liberates and uplifts. It shouldn't surprise us that he's open and accepting of others considering who his allies have been throughout the Marvel Universe. However, this issue just reinforces all of that.

In any case, there was also a good amount of action here. I said before that this isn't a typical story where Steve punches Nazis, but he is punching out soldiers.

JMS pulled a good balance here. I like where this story is going.
    Indeed. That subtext you bring up is the core of the quintessential Steve Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post

Actually, the poles are even more dry. It's so cold there that water does not evaporate and does not form clouds, so there's hardly any rain at all, ever. The Atacama desert is the driest desert of those that fit the conventional popular idea of a desert (an incredibly hot and sunny place). So yes, the comic was right the way they wrote it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is definitely among the best adapted versions of Captain America, if not the best adapted version of Captain America.

Brian Bloom is my definitive Cap voice .