Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Lorna and Magneto don’t even know they’re related yet.
    What is the debate?
    While they don’t have this established in the X-Men 97 universe, it’s more than understandable for someone who cares about these things to be upset about the cartoon acting like they don’t matter. A connection exists in most other media that they expect to have an impact on this media. The decision to act like it doesn’t matter was a choice.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    While they don’t have this established in the X-Men 97 universe, it’s more than understandable for someone who cares about these things to be upset about the cartoon acting like they don’t matter. A connection exists in most other media that they expect to have an impact on this media. The decision to act like it doesn’t matter was a choice.
    I have no doubt the parentage issue will be touched on in time, but Magneto’s family even outside Lorna never really mattered in the big scheme in TAS as it was always heavily based on the Claremont era wherein he was no fan of Pietro and Wanda’s parentage because the Avengers side established it and told the story before him.

The Magnus family on the x-books started in the mid 90s and after and only got big around the early 00s.

It’s easy enough for his family to appear for an episode and fight Magneto or have a tearful whatever or both as we saw in one ep with Wanda and Pietro in TAS. It’s much more difficult for them to matter in terms of the series as a whole. Magneto has more then enough foils and the series has never been big on him having a team for long.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-04-2024 at 05:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member

We still have to get to Havok and Cyclops realizing they’re brothers too.
    If there is a Lorna family revelation, it may happen at the same time as Alex, most likely they’ll be together.

We still have to get to Havok and Cyclops realizing they’re brothers too.
    If there is a Lorna family revelation, it may happen at the same time as Alex, most likely they’ll be together.
    Sadly, you’re probably right, cause Beau DeMayo has no concept of Lorna as anything other than Havok’s girlfriend.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

The Phalanx episode where Lorna appeared and even stood with the X-Men at the end was interesting - no words exchange. Did Alex appear? I need to rewatch that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I have no doubt the parentage issue will be touched on in time, but Magneto’s family even outside Lorna never really mattered in the big scheme in TAS as it was always heavily based on the Claremont era wherein he was no fan of Pietro and Wanda’s parentage because the Avengers side established it and told the story before him.
    From what I remember, Claremont never acknowledged Wanda and Pietro as Magneto's children during his original run and not even during his returns. He was never a fan of that retcon, probably especially because Byrne was responsible for it and both of them used to ignore each other's work.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    From what I remember, Claremont never acknowledged Wanda and Pietro as Magneto's children during his original run and not even during his returns. He was never a fan of that retcon, probably especially because Byrne was responsible for it and both of them used to ignore each other's work.
    He actually did if I remember correctly back in 80's 'Uncanny X-Men' with John Romita Jr. on art. It was when he was talking Rachel down when she was going to kill some humans. He mentioned his children, that exact word, and the reason why they want nothing to do with him and for her not to go down his path.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    He actually did if I remember correctly back in 80's 'Uncanny X-Men' with John Romita Jr. on art. It was when he was talking Rachel down when she was going to kill some humans. He mentioned his children, that exact word, and the reason why they want nothing to do with him and for her not to go down his path.
    Oh I do remember that now. Did he mention them by names or just generically refer to them as his children without referencing Wanda and Pietro directly, do you remember?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Oh I do remember that now. Did he mention them by names or just generically refer to them as his children without referencing Wanda and Pietro directly, do you remember?
    No he didn't. He just said his children. I don't know about Claremont. Maybe he was forced to do it or just came around to the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    No he didn't. He just said his children. I don't know about Claremont. Maybe he was forced to do it or just came around to the idea.
    I'm trying to remember now if he ever had Magneto mention Anya outside of his Classic X-Men backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I rewatched TAS's episode Family Ties a few years ago where they reveled Wanda and Pietro was Magneto's kids. I remember at the time thinking how little power and emotion that episode had compared to the actual 1980s revel. The reason it had little power was ultimately the power of the 80s revel was built on their pre-existing complicated relationship in the Brotherhood to him that didn't exist in TAS. All things being equal he was just a sperm donor they never met until adulthood. Their emotional scenes thus came off real weak to me whereas they came with massive weight in the comics.

Why I bring this up comes back to the issue of Lorna's parentage in TAS. The Genosha era actually made the events and her parentage emotionally resonant for those who followed her in the era in a way that its hard to imagine without it. Take away the background piece from the families set up and you are left with how much emotional weight exactly? Not much.

Extraordinary Member

Well you all got your wish.
    X-Factor has Havok and Archangel, but no Lorna.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 05-07-2024 at 09:48 AM.

Well you all got your wish.
    X-Factor has Havok and Archangel, but no Lorna.
    I think you're missing the main objective (outside of a few specific voices).

I think it's less about the title, more about the intention and treatment of wherever Polaris lands. The right writer, the right artist, the right IP characters on a team is what everyone wants for Polaris, in this thread.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    I think you're missing the main objective (outside of a few specific voices).

I think it's less about the title, more about the intention and treatment of wherever Polaris lands. The right writer, the right artist, the right IP characters on a team is what everyone wants for Polaris, in this thread.
    But what about her not landing anywhere? I think we'd prefer to see her somewhere... and she actually could still be in this X-Factor book as an antagonist - she could be a part of Mutant Underground or X-Term- whatever they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgred37 View Post
    But what about her not landing anywhere? I think we'd prefer to see her somewhere... and she actually could still be in this X-Factor book as an antagonist - she could be a part of Mutant Underground or X-Term- whatever they are.
    I agree with that - I am sad she hasn't been shown to have landed anywhere. But there are a ton of major players still missing, and they've alluded to a final x-book that hasn't been revealed yet. So I'm still hopeful for that.

However, I can say that I'm not wildly devastated she hasn't shown up yet in this era, mostly because there seems to be an overwhelming amount of Meh happening across all titles that have been revealed. I can't imagine this transition period will do much to promote, other than maybe Rogue's title. And I could see Polaris joining that title at some point.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men