Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Haven’t the past three teams of Uncanny Avengers been government run mutant teams?
    I remember a couple of folks on this thread wanting Lorna to be on that team.
    But now another government led book is coming, and because it doesn’t have Avengers in it, people suddenly want Lorna far away from it?
    While I was against her appearing on Uncanny Avengers I did also admit there was a way it could have worked with Lorna as the foil on the team to Wanda and Cap. Basically a reverse of where they took Havok’s character. That doesn’t mean I felt it was worth the risk at the time. By in large I did not.

I have been a believer in Lorna as a character divided between the world of the X-Men and by all means necessary mutant liberation for a long time. I felt there was way too much emphasis on trying to turn her into a mentally unstable white hat a decade ago. Duggan’s Lorna for its faults was a step in the right direction.

Doubly so because she was interacting on a title where many other x-fanbases who think of her as a failed concept and irrelevant side character had to read her and question their priors. She really did grow in popularity a fair bit.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-07-2024 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    While they don’t have this established in the X-Men 97 universe, it’s more than understandable for someone who cares about these things to be upset about the cartoon acting like they don’t matter. A connection exists in most other media that they expect to have an impact on this media. The decision to act like it doesn’t matter was a choice.
    I rewatched TAS's episode Family Ties a few years ago where they reveled Wanda and Pietro was Magneto's kids. I remember at the time thinking how little power and emotion that episode had compared to the actual 1980s revel. The reason it had little power was ultimately the power of the 80s revel was built on their pre-existing complicated relationship in the Brotherhood to him that didn't exist in TAS. All things being equal he was just a sperm donor they never met until adulthood. Their emotional scenes thus came off real weak to me whereas they came with massive weight in the comics.

Why I bring this up comes back to the issue of Lorna's parentage in TAS. The Genosha era actually made the events and her parentage emotionally resonant for those who followed her in the era in a way that its hard to imagine without it. Take away the background piece from the families set up and you are left with how much emotional weight exactly? Not much.

Extraordinary Member

Well you all got your wish.
    X-Factor has Havok and Archangel, but no Lorna.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 05-07-2024 at 09:48 AM.

I think you're missing the main objective (outside of a few specific voices).

I think it's less about the title, more about the intention and treatment of wherever Polaris lands. The right writer, the right artist, the right IP characters on a team is what everyone wants for Polaris, in this thread.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    I think you're missing the main objective (outside of a few specific voices).

I think it's less about the title, more about the intention and treatment of wherever Polaris lands. The right writer, the right artist, the right IP characters on a team is what everyone wants for Polaris, in this thread.
    But what about her not landing anywhere? I think we'd prefer to see her somewhere... and she actually could still be in this X-Factor book as an antagonist - she could be a part of Mutant Underground or X-Term- whatever they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgred37 View Post
    But what about her not landing anywhere? I think we'd prefer to see her somewhere... and she actually could still be in this X-Factor book as an antagonist - she could be a part of Mutant Underground or X-Term- whatever they are.
    I agree with that - I am sad she hasn't been shown to have landed anywhere. But there are a ton of major players still missing, and they've alluded to a final x-book that hasn't been revealed yet. So I'm still hopeful for that.

However, I can say that I'm not wildly devastated she hasn't shown up yet in this era, mostly because there seems to be an overwhelming amount of Meh happening across all titles that have been revealed. I can't imagine this transition period will do much to promote, other than maybe Rogue's title. And I could see Polaris joining that title at some point.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Astonishing Member

Not a fan of those blue/yellow uniforms -- so in that regard, happy Lorna won't have to wear one.

With the X-Men '97 cast back in their classic 70s/80s costumes, this makes me hope that when Lorna does pop up as more than a glorified cameo, we get to see her in her classic green/gold costume instead of the dated X-Factor look. And that we actually get a storyline depicting her as the Heir of Magneto, especially if Wanda and Pietro are being ignored.

And thank god for that.

I don't think Lorna's necessarily out of the woods yet. We don't know the full scope of plans. But for the time being, this is good news.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Extraordinary Member

And thank god for that.

I don't think Lorna's necessarily out of the woods yet. We don't know the full scope of plans. But for the time being, this is good news.
    Ironically, This X-Factor needs a main X-Woman presence as the other new X-Teams in this period already do.
    Frenzy and Feral are okay. But thy don’t have that big screaming X-Women energy that fans know.
    Like Dani, Monet, Domino, or Lorna.

Ironically, This X-Factor needs a main X-Woman presence as the other new X-Teams in this period already do.
    Frenzy and Feral are okay. But thy don’t have that big screaming X-Women energy that fans know.
    Lorna wouldn’t have been served well on this X-Factor, especially with its premise. The other women you mentioned can fill the need instead. Aside from that, Lorna keeps getting pushed down as a supporting character for others when she’s on this title, so she wouldn’t have received a depiction here with big screaming X-Women energy.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

And thank god for that.

Very good news imo, that book looks like it easily will be 1st to get canceled. How/why that roster was put together with as many characters uncountable for. Limbo or guest staring is better then being on that version of Xfactor imo.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Very good news imo, that book looks like it easily will be 1st to get canceled. How/why that roster was put together with as many characters uncountable for. Limbo or guest staring is better then being on that version of Xfactor imo.
    Yes, this is legitimately very good news.

There will be other titles down the line as Brevoort has broadly hinted at. It's also important to recall that Lorna in 2000 on the Acolytes and Genoshan government was able to do quite well as a floating character with no set book. That gets to other posters comments about her potentially being on one of the antagonist teams on X-Factor.

I don't have any issue with her having an activist mutant team as she did in 2000. I have long felt that is a winning proposition for the character. I don't even have a problem with her guest starring on X-Factor. But, that shouldn't be her main title. there are lessons from the past to recall. Anyone remember Havok's Brotherhood era in the mid 1990s with Dark Beast? Yah, hardly anyone knows or cares because it was a plot point nearly completely self-contained to X-Factor and thus didn't do anything for him.

I disagreed with a few things Brevoort said in his long podcast, but one thing I did agree with him on is philosophically diversity on the X-Men is a winner.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-07-2024 at 01:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

Dazzler is probably too (strawberry) blonde. I think many would prefer Monet over Frenzy. I'm meh on both. I'd rather have Iceman on the team than Pyro! Honestly, the power to control flames has never been very interesting in a comic book.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree. I honestly can't see how editorial expects the book to survive.
    The artist is the same as Legion of X, which was one of the fastest cancelations from the last era.
    The writer is great, but not a superstar yet.
    And the worst offender is the roster. Not one character there has potential to attract a large audience. Maybe Angel and Havok could in earlier days, but both have been treated so badly (or simply neglected) that Marvel can not possibly believe they can carry a fringe X-title without other solid characters to accompany them.
    People keep saying NYX will be cancelled soon, but this book is by far the hardest sell.
    Let's hope Lorna is in something better.