Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    In case you are unaware, Marvel also put out a bunch of original prose novels in the 90's, including several for the X-Men. I love them so much! I have all of the X-related ones and almost all of the other Marvel books give-or-take a couple of anthologies. Titan Books is re-releasing some of the trilogies as omnibus editions.

I found an image of an assortment on the web.

I LOVED Planet X when it came out. I quickly read it cover to cover. Two of my favorite franchises crossing over. I was in heaven. And the story was actually good and not just a cash grab like the comics. It's the only X-Men novel I ever read. What's interesting is Logan had an attraction to Troi and I was wondering if it was the Telepathy. I really don't like Logan and Jean together but I definitely think Troi was a nod the that. He even called her "Darlin."

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    And Thursday? Lol
    Oop. Forgot X-Men 97 drops on Wednesdays. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Legaldrugdealer View Post
    Just got this Lucas Werneck piece in the mall that I wanted to shareIMG_4508.jpg
    GORGEOUS! Happy for you! Frame and hang it.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Jean was superb in the new episode. This makes up for a lot of my feelings that she hasn't been handled well. Love seeing the length of her hair and no more ponytail. I do wish her powers were pink though because that complements her Marvel Girl costume way better than blue powers. The Jean/Storm scenes were excellent and proof that Beau understands these two. If Jean is the heart of the team, Storm is the soul. Both bound together in mind and spirit, with Storm's remark about how while she was away, Jean was the one she thought of.
    Beau totally gets not only Jean but all of these characters. And that quote by Ororo was just... ::chef's kiss::

Her fight with Sinister was her best showcase yet. He had to cheat to win by controlling Cable. Cable's disdain for Jean is so obvious in this show and I'm wondering if that's partly from Sinister's control over him. Hope that changes sooner rather than later.
    Oh, she handled Sinister, and. she's not even at full strength yet. I think Cable's disdain also stems from Madelyne bonding with him before letting him go with Bishop. It seems natural that he would inherit her disdain for Jean.

Jean using her psychic bond for Scott to see her battle with Cable almost gave me vibes of her suicide from TDPS. Although I'm sure it won't end that way especially after Rogue's sass about Jean dying not being a big deal. I am wondering, especially after all the Phoenix references, if the fight with Cable doesn't spark her transformation into Phoenix. Especially since Beau loves Bastion, OZT, and X-Men: Next Dimension and we all know a certain ending where Jean defeats Bastion.
    I think she allowed Cable to overpower her out of fear of killing him if she cut loose. The Rogue line was priceless.

The Jott moments were lovely overall. I do hope she plays a part somehow in saving Logan from what Magneto does to him, like she did in the comics, although with them in different places, I don't know how.
    Yes to the "saving Logan" part!

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I'm really happy with the quantity and quality of Jean we've been getting in X-Men '97. It helps make up for how the original show did her dirty. Episode 9 doesn't just give her moments to shine with her powers but also in her relationships with others.
    All of this.

Yes, exactly. The Jean/Storm relationship was more or less nonexistent in the original show. Storm and Rogue were more flying gal pals back then so I'm really glad this series has emphasized the sisterly bond between the two. Feels very Claremontian. The midair hug seemed a reference to this.
    All of this.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    The exchange between Jean and Ororo is like a quotable moment. I'm surprised the 2 lines (I won't spoil in case some haven't watched it yet) have never been said to each other in the comics before (as far as I know).
    Yes! When I first saw this scene, I legit teared up. (I felt so silly but NOT.)

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    EXACTLY.

I loved that line between them. It's so clever and seems so obvious too. I've never heard it in the comics before. Beau needs to write for the comics and the movies now as well.
    It really is a perfect exchange.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."