Page 70 of 96 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1439
    Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I do think Rogue's behavior towards Gambit this season was genuinely bad, though. I've been rewatching the original series, and, although she never says she loves him, she gives him absolutely every reason to believe that she does. She repeatedly touches him (through clothing), holds onto him, puts her arm around his waist, gives him kisses over her gloved hand. She uses the alias Mrs LeBeau in an episode at the last season. And the bonus basketball scene in the opening suggests that they've had even more moments like that. The show went out of the way to make that scene have Rogue reciprocating/initiating the kiss instead of flipping him off as she does in the comic. If she doesn't cheat on him, it's only very much by a technicality.

I gaslit myself the first few episodes into thinking it was going to be about Gambit's insecurity and Rogue was just working on her powers with Magneto, because that was the only way her behavior was even remotely okay. At least in Legacy, Gambit breaks up with her first....
    This is what bothers me in hindsight. So many people were thinking/hoping (myself, included) that the Rogneto stuff was misdirection and so the Romy arc was going to be Remy needing to learn to trust Rogue and that there was nothing romantic behind Magneto's actions towards Rogue. Now, it seems like Magneto was willfully messing with Remy and Rogue was just oblivious to it, I guess. Idk. I'm really not a fan of Gambit's portrayal this season, even if his death was cool and heroic. Everything leading up to it was him being insecure about the relationship
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Looks great! Getting Claremont Outback era vibes, that sense of family.

I do think Rogue's behavior towards Gambit this season was genuinely bad, though. I've been rewatching the original series, and, although she never says she loves him, she gives him absolutely every reason to believe that she does. She repeatedly touches him (through clothing), holds onto him, puts her arm around his waist, gives him kisses over her gloved hand. She uses the alias Mrs LeBeau in an episode at the last season. And the bonus basketball scene in the opening suggests that they've had even more moments like that. The show went out of the way to make that scene have Rogue reciprocating/initiating the kiss instead of flipping him off as she does in the comic. If she doesn't cheat on him, it's only very much by a technicality.
    I've been rewatching too and Remy was a womanizer through and through even after declaring his love to Rogue. You can see him hitting on a random woman in the 2-part Lady Deathstryke episodes (and trying to get rid of Jubilee to spend the night with the woman) and that was right after he told Rogue he loved her. He also never told her about Bella Donna.

They loved each other but were not a couple.

Yes, I do remember early season 3, Gambit was hitting on other women straight after he professed his love for Rogue at the end of season 2, which I wasn't pleased with. I suppose "never making things official" may have justified some of those actions. It's a complex relationship. Gambit in '97 seems more committed, they pulled back his womanizing ways, just like in the comics since Mike Carey wrote him (when he wanted to get back together with Rogue). From Rogue's POV, her knowing that Remy had a physical relationship with a possessive bridezilla like Belladonna would've hurt her as well, Belle even trolled her about it too in that episode.

XTAS Romy was very undefined and underdeveloped.

Amazing Member

I've been rewatching too and Remy was a womanizer through and through even after declaring his love to Rogue. You can see him hitting on a random woman in the 2-part Lady Deathstryke episodes (and trying to get rid of Jubilee to spend the night with the woman) and that was right after he told Rogue he loved her. He also never told her about Bella Donna.

I think like you.
    In the comics, in 90's they instable couple, but couple.

Remy & Anna in the TAS (92-96) are more beloved, but impossible love because the power's of Rogue.

In the Last episode of the season 2, Gambit and Rogue kissed and Remy say's: Rogue I love you, but Rogue never say this.

In the another episodes, sometimes they behaved like a couple (E3S4, E4S4 e E8S4) e and a another times, they apper distance for they.

In the begin TAS 97 the relanshionship of this is so confuse, the first episode start with us like a couple making bagles for they friends, and the scene of the dance club It looks like they have nothing serius.
    After in the episode 5 this clarifiers, but all the relationship in the TAS is so confuse, since begin.
    Last edited by zefjv2; 05-06-2024 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Ajust

You make a good point. The show was very messy in its depiction of Gambit and Rogue, and it did vary from episode to episode. They did love to play up womanizer Gambit at times.

However, I do understand why he may not have told her about Belle in the show. She was his ex-fiance, rather than a wife. Would I have told my husband about a serious past relationship like that? Yes. Can I see why Gambit didn't tell Rogue? Also yes.

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

That art is beautiful.

Reading the new editors breakdown on the titles, running water is sketchy at best in their off the grid location? Damn, good luck to Jubilee, Nightcrawler & Wolverine when summer hits cause I’m assuming air condition isn’t a guarantee.

You make a good point. The show was very messy in its depiction of Gambit and Rogue, and it did vary from episode to episode. They did love to play up womanizer Gambit at times.

However, I do understand why he may not have told her about Belle in the show. She was his ex-fiance, rather than a wife. Would I have told my husband about a serious past relationship like that? Yes. Can I see why Gambit didn't tell Rogue? Also yes.
    I mean to be fair, even though they're obviously very into each other, clearly love each other and we even got a one-sided love confession from Remy, they absolutely have never been anything official or with titles in XTAS.

I think Gambit identifying that it is Rogue who didn't want to make it official clarifies a lot. Though I don't even see it as Rogue being cruel or not returning his feelings, but rather not being able to see how it could ever work for either of them without a full physical aspect. Perhaps she feels it is a kindness to Remy as much as herself not to have put them into an impossible position? Granted it's a little silly since there are definitely ways to make things work.

But without it being official, it honestly doesn't seem wrong to me that Remy would see other people even if he'd rather be with Rogue and I don't think he would feel obligated to explain his romantic past either if she won't even call herself his girlfriend. Likewise Rogue drops Remy completely in that episode when Cody shows up, which felt hella weird considering how young they should have been when she put him in a coma.

Rogue never told Remy she loved him after he said it and this season made it clear the reason they are not official is because of her. So Gambit doesnt owe Rogue anything. Neither does Rogue owe Gambit anything.

The problem wasnt Rogue chosing Mags. The problem was she literally makes out with Mags in front of everyone the same day she ends it with Gambit. Now she is prancing around trying to avenge a dude she refused to commit too while claiming they killed her man as if we are supposed to forget Gambit died with one of his last memories of Rogue being her making out with Mags.

To Rogue - Remy wasnt your man Sugah. You made sure of that before he died. Let the man RIP and dont blame your murderous guilt on him.
    Last edited by remydat; 05-06-2024 at 03:25 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Great art for an extremely half-baked story unfortunately.
    I finally bought the trade paperback in Jan. And amusingly I can't remember the story that much but that I loved the artwork! As an aside when I was browsing my LCS last year, these issues would sell out versus the various X-titles still left on the shelves. And that on Amazon? the issues were being sold in the top ten of Marvel titles, pretty impressive.

I know folks were bothered by Gambit leaving a civilian to possible get injured/die tied to that stove, but I'm reminded of the XTAS episode (The Genoshan slaves eppy) where Storm warns him not the harm the civilians, and then he retorted, "Maybe you can't!" and explodes a bunch of them with his cards.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Rogue never told Remy she loved him after he said it and this season made it clear the reason they are not official is because of her. So Gambit doesnt owe Rogue anything. Neither does Rogue owe Gambit anything.

The problem wasnt Rogue chosing Mags. The problem was she literally makes out with Mags in front of everyone the same day she ends it with Gambit. Now she is prancing around trying to avenge a dude she refused to commit too while claiming they killed her man as if we are supposed to forget Gambit died with one of his last memories of Rogue being her making out with Mags.

To Rogue - Remy wasnt your man Sugah. You made sure of that before he died. Let the man RIP and dont blame your murderous guilt on him.
    Yes, my feelings on Rogue are colored by the intensity of her reaction to Gambit's death, especially when she calls him "my man" and acts as if Magneto doesn't exist. It's like, girl, take several seats. Gambit died thinking he wasn't your man, and you don't just get to elide that. I can see why you'd want to, I can see why the guilt on top of the grief was too much, but I also wish someone would call you on it to your face.

Bleh. Anyway, I think I am done talking about that subject. I would much rather focus on how totally gorgeous the Marquez art is, and how wonderful it is to see the X-Men as friends sharing a quiet moment and a beer around the fire. Just the beautiful, subtle touch of Gambit getting a beer for Rogue and Wolverine popping it open and then Gambit comforting her. That's better character dynamics than we have had for a long time.

Also, do you think the man who brings them the beer is part of Gambit's family connection? I love that they're leveraging his resources and relationships.
    Last edited by DearMachine; 05-06-2024 at 06:02 PM.

Spectacular Member CamilleMoineau's Avatar

The more I think about their portrayal in (well-written) 616 and TAS, the angrier I'm getting at what they've done with them in '97. The "homework" episodes that Beau listed all have great Romy moments in them, showing they care for each other, even though they're not in an official relationship; they also serve to highlight what a BS lie the whole "never me" stuff in ep 5. As tenuous as their relationship is, '97 could have built off on that, showing them committing to each other as a couple, and, yeah, having angst along the way but still finding ways to adapt and be intimate with each other on physical and emotional levels. But no. Instead they bring in the Rogneto plot out of nowhere just for Drama--never mind that Romy are (in)famous for the Drama that exists between them as it is.

As empathetic as I've tried to be for her, yeah, she's trying to rewrite history in order to assuage her own guilt for her behavior, and someone really needs to call her out on it. I recently read a fic with the perfect candidate to do so: Deathbit. But I don't want to get my hopes up that'll happen.

What's especially galling about that scene also is that we know Remy leaves before they even start dancing, but she doesn't.

Anyway, someone wake me on August 7 so I can read a story where Romy are alive, married and looking gorgeous.
    Last edited by CamilleMoineau; 05-06-2024 at 06:56 PM.
    “Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Yes, my feelings on Rogue are colored by the intensity of her reaction to Gambit's death, especially when she calls him "my man" and acts as if Magneto doesn't exist. It's like, girl, take several seats. Gambit died thinking he wasn't your man, and you don't just get to elide that. I can see why you'd want to, I can see why the guilt on top of the grief was too much, but I also wish someone would call you on it to your face.

Bleh. Anyway, I think I am done talking about that subject. I would much rather focus on how totally gorgeous the Marquez art is, and how wonderful it is to see the X-Men as friends sharing a quiet moment and a beer around the fire. Just the beautiful, subtle touch of Gambit getting a beer for Rogue and Wolverine popping it open and then Gambit comforting her. That's better character dynamics than we have had for a long time.

Also, do you think the man who brings them the beer is part of Gambit's family connection? I love that they're leveraging his resources and relationships.
    I do hope Simone delivers a balanced Romy. I am so over all the drama. There are far more interesting things about Rogue and Gambit tham this perpetual angst. I like XTAS Romy because they left all the melodrama of the comics so it was disappointing seeing it introduced this season.

My first thought was that it was Tante Mattie and her family that Gambit is connected too but qho knows.
    Last edited by remydat; 05-06-2024 at 07:07 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by CamilleMoineau View Post
    The more I think about their portrayal in (well-written) 616 and TAS, the angrier I'm getting at what they've done with them in '97. The "homework" episodes that Beau listed all have great Romy moments in them, showing they care for each other, even though they're not in an official relationship; they also serve to highlight what a BS lie the whole "never me" stuff in ep 5. As tenuous as their relationship is, '97 could have built off on that, showing them committing to each other as a couple, and, yeah, having angst along the way but still finding ways to adapt and be intimate with each other on physical and emotional levels. But no. Instead they bring in the Rogneto plot out of nowhere just for Drama--never mind that Romy are (in)famous for the Drama that exists between them as it is.

As empathetic as I've tried to be for her, yeah, she's trying to rewrite history in order to assuage her own guilt for her behavior, and someone really needs to call her out on it. I recently read a fic with the perfect candidate to do so: Deathbit. But I don't want to get my hopes up that'll happen.

What's especially galling about that scene also is that we know Remy leaves before they even start dancing, but she doesn't.

Anyway, someone wake me on August 7 so I can read a story where Romy are alive, married and looking gorgeous.
    Yeah my hope is they did it this way to make Deathbit more compelling but that may be too much to hope for.

Mighty Member

I got a question for Rogue fans. We often talk about how Gambit is written poorly by dudes who can't empathize with the charming womanizer and end up character assassinating him. Do you think Rogue often gets character assassinated cause writers can't understand the southern Belle tomboy trope? I feel like I see the romantic Rogue somtimes, then the girl boss Rogue, or the Rogue that tends to overpower Remy personality wise, but I feel like there seeing a good Rogue, who is compassionate and feminine while being tomboy who is down to fight is so tricky for comic writers to write too cause they tend to avoid her southern rots and style into her personality. And the complexity that region brings to her personality