Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Batman: Caped Crusader

Batman: Caped Crusader Will Be Much Darker Than Original Animated Series

Batman: Caped Crusader will be much darker than Batman: The Animated Series according to head writer Ed Brubaker.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

This feels like not much by the way of new news. As with BTAS, it's gonna ultimately come down to the writing and voice acting and the animation. I don't think dark and noir are necessarily gonna move the needle. BTAS was dark enough at times (and is still more cherished than other more recent "darker" Batman animated material). And BTAS was plenty noir.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    This feels like not much by the way of new news. As with BTAS, it's gonna ultimately come down to the writing and voice acting and the animation. I don't think dark and noir are necessarily gonna move the needle. BTAS was dark enough at times (and is still more cherished than other more recent "darker" Batman animated material). And BTAS was plenty noir.
    It was text book noir, right down to the lighting.

I was hoping there was some new news here or a trailer though, that blurb has been out forever it seems.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

From the sounds of it content-wise it's still going to be as all ages appropriate as B:TAS, they can just go a little deeper into the action and characters.

Whoa, they're really taking Batman in a new and exciting direction here. With Timm involved, it can only mean more nudity.

Jokes aside, I'm excited to see Greg Rucka's
    episode.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

curious. I wonder what type of stories will be told that have not been told before?

I'm not all in for another Batman without Robin (Grayson) series. I don't want to see year one re-told again for 30+ episodes. I'm not hung up on "the purest Batman ever". Gotham doesn't have to look like a permanent 1930s environment. I just want a more mature approach to the stories and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    curious. I wonder what type of stories will be told that have not been told before?

I'm not all in for another Batman without Robin (Grayson) series. I don't want to see year one re-told again for 30+ episodes. I'm not hung up on "the purest Batman ever". Gotham doesn't have to look like a permanent 1930s environment. I just want a more mature approach to the stories and fun.
    I don't think that's what you're going to get, it seems very much to be a modern take on the golden age through a film noir lens. And that's not speculation, that's directly from the people running the show.

It's basically Batman: The Animated Series only with out any executives telling him no.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's basically Batman: The Animated Series only with out any executives telling him no.
    Is that . . . good though?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    It depends. Is Timm still obsessed with Bruce and Barbara hooking up ?

We won't know until we see it.

I mean, if his script for "Batman & Harley Quinn" is any indication...

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Honestly, I'm kind of ready for anyone else but Timm, however, I trust Brubaker more than anything else.

...which is a little concerning as it's been reported he's not returning for season 2.

Regardless, I will lose my fucking mind if we get Killer Moth in this.
    Last edited by exile001; 01-09-2024 at 04:23 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Honestly, I'm kind of ready for anyone else but Timm, however, I trust Brubaker more than anything else.

...which is a little concerning as it's been reported he's not returning for season 2.

Regardless, I will lose my fucking mind if we get Killer Moth in this.
    They're finally doing the Nocturna episode they were never able to do in B:TAS at least.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They're finally doing the Nocturna episode they were never able to do in B:TAS at least.
    I'm sure the 5 of us who remember her as a relevant character will really appreciate it*.

Now I'm concerned it's going to be creepily sexual, something the TAS guys have a little habit of.

*seriously, though, one of my earliest back issues was her last pre-Crisis appearance and it left a hell of an impression on me! Stabbed and flying into a nightmarish storm of literal blood as people fought for her very life was epic as hell!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'm sure the 5 of us who remember her as a relevant character will really appreciate it*.

Now I'm concerned it's going to be creepily sexual, something the TAS guys have a little habit of.

*seriously, though, one of my earliest back issues was her last pre-Crisis appearance and it left a hell of an impression on me! Stabbed and flying into a nightmarish storm of literal blood as people fought for her very life was epic as hell!
    I don't think it's going to be any more explicit than the DCAU was, or My Adventures with Superman.