Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The Golden Age is fascinating because it was so early into comics and changed so much - it’s the genesis of both the darkest Batman stories and the goofiest, since you can go from Batman lighting up mutated monster men with his plane’s machine gun to Batman having to dress in rainbow colors or some nonsense.

The perception, I believe, is that Robin appeared in the middle of the transition from the darkness to the goofiness, and most of his Golden Age stories with Batman are from the goofier part - which is not what people are predicting for this show.

...on the other hand, we’re doing a freakin’ vampire Nocturna. Yes, vampires are very early Golden Age Batman (looking at you, the Monk), but they’re also very much not street level, even when put on the street.

Personally, I think that while the “Hardcore Batman can’t have a sidekick!” misconception is likely to keep the Batfamily out fo the story, I also think that some of the Batfamily members could *easily* fit a darker, grittier but still “all ages (remember, the PG Indiana Jones movie has Nazis melting onscreen)” show better than others.

Azrael (both of them), Damian, Cassandra Cain have grim enough origins to pretty much get immediately adapted for such a show, while the “mood” of the Bertinelli Huntress and Jason Todd seems more immediately deployable for the purpose of “Angst! Is! Better!”

Of course, I remember Beware the Batman tried doing it own thing with Alfred and Karan, which was interesting, if inconsistent.
    We know Barbara is in it for sure at least. Though she doesn't have to become Batgirl, as indicated in Beware the Batman (though the idea of them having a black Batgirl might seem appealing).

Mighty Member

...on the other hand, we’re doing a freakin’ vampire Nocturna. Yes, vampires are very early Golden Age Batman (looking at you, the Monk), but they’re also very much not street level, even when put on the street.
    To be fair, we don't even know if that's happening. It's just educated speculation based on the premise that this is show Timm really wanted to, he wanted to do a Nocturna episode on B:TAS, and one of the episode titles being "Nocturne". We'll have to wait and see.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

i really hope they do something with Roxy Rocket, that character has a ton of potential imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    i really hope they do something with Roxy Rocket, that character has a ton of potential imo.
    I'm not sure how high the chances of that are without Paul Dini.

Probably means no Zatanna or Harley either .

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure how high the chances of that are without Paul Dini.

Probably means no Zatanna or Harley either .
    Well, Timm’s still involved, and he seems to have fueled the “horny for the sake of horny” aspects of his shows, while Dini provided the “horny but for tastefully intriguing story- and character-reasons.” And Harley is still as much Timm’s creation as Dini’s.

Brubaker is hopefully going to apply some Dini-style brakes to Timm’s predilections, and while he had that issue with Gulacey wanting to draw a “slutty” Selina in his Catwoman comic, he never had a problem with her being sexy - just Gulacey’s insistence on being a bit trashy instead of elegant.

...An intriguing question about Brubaker here might be whether we got the more-corrupt-than-not GCPD for the show; Reeves did t for his film, Brubaker made that the backdrop for Gotham Central, and it definitely changes the tone of any Batman story.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Well, Timm’s still involved, and he seems to have fueled the “horny for the sake of horny” aspects of his shows, while Dini provided the “horny but for tastefully intriguing story- and character-reasons.” And Harley is still as much Timm’s creation as Dini’s.

Brubaker is hopefully going to apply some Dini-style brakes to Timm’s predilections, and while he had that issue with Gulacey wanting to draw a “slutty” Selina in his Catwoman comic, he never had a problem with her being sexy - just Gulacey’s insistence on being a bit trashy instead of elegant.

...An intriguing question about Brubaker here might be whether we got the more-corrupt-than-not GCPD for the show; Reeves did t for his film, Brubaker made that the backdrop for Gotham Central, and it definitely changes the tone of any Batman story.
    I hope we get a good Catwoman costume and they don't try to hard to ape the movie.

I feel like the GCPD is probably going to be on the level of the early seasons of The Batman or Beware the Batman. There's going to be an episode focused on Montoya, for one.

Extraordinary Member

I hope we get a good Catwoman costume and they don't try to hard to ape the movie.

I feel like the GCPD is probably going to be on the level of the early seasons of The Batman or Beware the Batman. There's going to be an episode focused on Montoya, for one.
    The one piece of art we’ve seen from the thing has a Golden Age feel to it, but Timm used Golden Age-style ears on Batman in Justice League, so we’ve no specific idea what visual style the show may be aping.

I find it unlikely they’d adapt Catwiman’s Golden/Silver Age purple suit/dress and green cape... directly, at least; I could see it modified (green scarf in place of the cape, for instance). It could also be that they go for a black costume like in BTNAS or The Batman - black seems to be most everyone’s favorite fall-back color for a Catwoman design.

And yeah, there’s a strong chance we just see conventional GCPD portrayal... but I would love it if Brubaker leaned even more heavily into the noir for the show than BTAS did, and villainous authority figures would fit that.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

The one piece of art we’ve seen from the thing has a Golden Age feel to it, but Timm used Golden Age-style ears on Batman in Justice League, so we’ve no specific idea what visual style the show may be aping.

I find it unlikely they’d adapt Catwiman’s Golden/Silver Age purple suit/dress and green cape... directly, at least; I could see it modified (green scarf in place of the cape, for instance). It could also be that they go for a black costume like in BTNAS or The Batman - black seems to be most everyone’s favorite fall-back color for a Catwoman design.

And yeah, there’s a strong chance we just see conventional GCPD portrayal... but I would love it if Brubaker leaned even more heavily into the noir for the show than BTAS did, and villainous authority figures would fit that.
    Gordon probably won't be commissioner and I think they've said things will be complicated between him and Batman, so there will likely be tension from that.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

It's finally time!

first-appearance-of-the-cat-in-batman-1-1940-the-cat-woman-in-batman-3-1940-1638273100.jpg
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Mighty Member

Apparently, Kevin Conroy recorded dialogue for a character in this series. No idea who it is yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Apparently, Kevin Conroy recorded dialogue for a character in this series. No idea who it is yet.
    In before he's playing Two-Face .

Extraordinary Member

The conventional cameo appearance would be as Thomas Wayne, much like Adam West.

Mighty Member

Huh. I guess that also throws suspicion into the claim that he'll be in Crisis Part 3, even if it's not that far-fetched.

Huh. I guess that also throws suspicion into the claim that he'll be in Crisis Part 3, even if it's not that far-fetched.
    Honestly this makes me think him being in Crisis more likely because that might've been the main piece of info they got and just assumed with Caped Crusader.