Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    You follow the Critical Drinker?

That guy's an alt-right, racist trash person.

No offense, but I legit wonder who follows people like that considering their unabashed white supremacist stance on all things film and media.

I mean, Drinker and other people have been going in on Rachel Zegler's casting because she's not white enough (even though she's a white hispanic) which is the text book definition of racism.
    Well, I'm actually Hispanic myself (my mom is) and I was in no way offended with Drinker's Comments. The character's name is Snow White because she has fair skin. I agree with casting somebody that actually matches the description of the character. My mother's side has plenty of strong characters in history to have us stand out on our own and into the spotlight. Or better yet, maybe Hollywood can try to scrape up something original from time to time (I enjoyed COCO) instead of an endless sea of remake after remake?

As for Zegler, at this point her skin color doesn't even begin to cover the problems I have with her (and its not just me). Have you actually seen her interviews? Holy Hell, she's humiliating and disrespectful.

Regarding Drinker, I don't always agree with his reviews (but I can say the same for any reviewer), but I watch him from time to time. He puts on a funny show but he gives very in depth reviews. For example, I personally enjoyed the Abrams Star Trek Movies while Drinker hated them. Didn't change my opinion but after hearing why he hated them, I could understand where he was coming from.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 05-08-2024 at 09:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Snow White is currently wedged between Cap and MI.

Those have baked in fans, probably gets moved.
    Interesting list. There are a couple of things I don't know anything about. The Unbreakable Boy, and Ballerina. A sequel to Bridget Jones? Wow, how long is that between? Knives Out 3 was inevitable. Lethal Weapon 5? Will that have Gibson and Glover in it? If so, how's that going to work with their age....and Gibson's...er...other problems?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Well, I'm actually Hispanic myself (my mom is) and I was in no way offended with Drinker's Comments. The character's name is Snow White because she has fair skin. I agree with casting somebody that actually matches the description of the character. My mother's side has plenty of strong characters in history to have us stand out on our own and into the spotlight. Or better yet, maybe Hollywood can try to scrape up something original from time to time (I enjoyed COCO) instead of an endless sea of remake after remake?

As for Zegler, at this point her skin color doesn't even begin to cover the problems I have with her (and its not just me). Have you actually seen her interviews? Holy Hell, she's humiliating and disrespectful.

Regarding Drinker, I don't always agree with his reviews, but I only watch him from time to time. He puts on a funny show but he gives very in depth reviews. For example, I personally enjoyed the Abrams Star Trek Movies while Drinker hated them. Didn't change my opinion but after hearing why he hated them, I could understand where he was coming from.
    OK, I can understand that Zegler's comments weren't well thought out. However, what she said about some of these older stories is true about their problematic elements. I mean, there was a big Snow White movie that came out some years back that altered many parts of the story and no one complained about it. Why is it different now? Oh, because it's Disney that's producing it (Snow White is in the public domain).

The "not white enough" thing is something that's very unsettling (unless those guys are saying that people that are of Iberian descent aren't white which is an entirely different discussion). There are very few people that have the complexion described in the original story and lots of actresses that don't meet the description of the character in the book have played the character in the past from Kristin Kreuk (who is biracial) to Kristin Stewart. It has never been an issue. The only difference now is that Disney is producing it and because of Ron "epic fail" DeSantis war on Disney, the alt-right junkies started attacking Disney. I'm not for race bending (except where the character's race has no bearing on the story or setting) but this isn't even race bending.

I appreciate that you don't agree with all of Drinker's views, that Drinker dork and his ilk are fully alt-right that are living in some fictional version of America where minorities and women don't have major roles. Seriously, more than 40% of the US population is a minority and 51% is female, what sort of entertainment completely ignores this? He's not an American, so maybe he comes from an entirely homogenous society where only one race of people exist and media literacy doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-08-2024 at 02:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

Shelving Snow White would be one hell of a bad look for Disney as far as I'm concerned, even without the race issues. "Lionsgate can make a hit out of a Hunger Games spin-off with a different lead and years after the original series, but we can't re-launch Snow White with the same actress".

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Interesting list. There are a couple of things I don't know anything about. The Unbreakable Boy, and Ballerina. A sequel to Bridget Jones? Wow, how long is that between? Knives Out 3 was inevitable. Lethal Weapon 5? Will that have Gibson and Glover in it? If so, how's that going to work with their age....and Gibson's...er...other problems?
    Unbreakable Boy is an adaptation of the book. It's about a boy with brittle bone disease and is on the spectrum. Looks like a tear jerker like Wonder.

Bridget Jones 3 is like ... 9 years after the last one? Each have been good for $250M.

Ballerina is from the John Wick universe. Should make some money.

The next Knives Out movie is only getting a limited one week release like Glass Onion.

Lethal Weapon 5 is being directed by Gibson and slowly rolling into to pre-production.

I saw a rather large chunk of Unbreakable Boy at the Park City segment of Sundance. That movie is going to be something special IMHO.

Those are just the "tentpole" films the studios have listed.
    OK, I can understand that Zegler's comments weren't well thought out. However, what she said about some of these older stories is true about their problematic elements. I mean, there was a big Snow White movie that came out some years back that altered many parts of the story and no one complained about it. Why is it different now? Oh, because it's Disney that's producing it (Snow White is in the public domain).

The "not white enough" thing is something that's very unsettling (unless those guys are saying that people that are of Iberian descent aren't white which is an entirely different discussion). There are very few people that have the complexion described in the original story and lots of actresses that don't meet the description of the character in the book have played the character in the past from Kristin Kreuk (who is biracial) to Kristin Stewart. It has never been an issue. The only difference now is that Disney is producing it and because of Ron "epic fail" DeSantis war on Disney, the alt-right junkies started attacking Disney. I'm not for race bending (except where the character's race has no bearing on the story or setting) but this isn't even race bending.

I appreciate that you don't agree with all of Drinker's views, that Drinker dork and his ilk are fully alt-right that are living in some fictional version of America where minorities and women don't have major roles. Seriously, more than 40% of the US population is a minority and 51% is female, what sort of entertainment completely ignores this? He's not an American, so maybe he comes from an entirely homogenous society where only one race of people exist and media literacy doesn't exist.
    Does Snow White's race even play into the plot of the story or is it just trying to be "as written on page" visual?
    "When you've got so much to say, it's called gratitude /
    And that's right."
    -- Beastie Boys

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Unbreakable Boy is an adaptation of the book. It's about a boy with brittle bone disease and is on the spectrum. Looks like a tear jerker like Wonder.

Bridget Jones 3 is like ... 9 years after the last one? Each have been good for $250M.

Ballerina is from the John Wick universe. Should make some money.

The next Knives Out movie is only getting a limited one week release like Glass Onion.

Lethal Weapon 5 is being directed by Gibson and slowly rolling into to pre-production.

I saw a rather large chunk of Unbreakable Boy at the Park City segment of Sundance. That movie is going to be something special IMHO.

Those are just the "tentpole" films the studios have listed.

Does Snow White's race even play into the plot of the story or is it just trying to be "as written on page" visual?
    I don't even know what race Snow White beyond the fact that she's supposed to have "skin as white as snow, blood red lips and jet black hair. There are very few people that actually have snow white skin and jet black and are caucasian. There are some Asians and Hispanics that fit the bill more than a lot of Western and Northern Europeans.

So really, the complaints here arent about the visual conformity, it's more about them trying to twist the narrative to fit their pre-existing bigotry. Rachel Zegler isn't even biracial, her mother is a white Hispanic and her father is Polish. It's literally a white actress playing a white character.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-08-2024 at 06:26 PM.

Mighty Member

What do you think will FLOP this summer? I'm Thinking Bad boys - ride or die. Do part 4 movies make much money? I never saw Bad boys 3 and a lotta folks haven't either. Will this end or renew Smith's career?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    What do you think will FLOP this summer? I'm Thinking Bad boys - ride or die. Do part 4 movies make much money? I never saw Bad boys 3 and a lotta folks haven't either. Will this end or renew Smith's career?
    The whole reason we're getting a Bad Boys 4 is because a lot of people actually DID see Bad Boys 3.

Fantastic Member

Twisters is a 200 million dollar movie coming out the week before Deadpool/Wolverine

Mighty Member

Thanks. Sounds like twisters might underperform. I hope to see it though, but not BB4. Whether folks can forgive "the slap" is an interesting question ...

Fantastic Member

Does anyone here remember the sheer amount of hype around The Phantom Menace in 1999?

I believe the trailer of The Phantom Menace alone turned a movie (i can't remember which one) into a hit because so many people were just coming to watch the preview. Heck, I think there were estimates that the economy lost about $300 million in productivity due to people taking time off to see the film.

I mean, people hated the movie so much that they watched it over and over and over again. LOLOLOL.
    Meet Joe Black....

What people forget about the late 90's when trashing modern films is how terrible big budget films where. The year before the big movie was Godzilla

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Fast & Furious (2009) - responsible for saving the franchise and paving the road for where they are now Fast X $155m US/$360WW
    The Phantom Menace (1999) - again, set the franchise on the path to more. $484US/$1 Billion+
    Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) - despite the alleged hate for this, and now years later is liked more based on anecdotal posts it made $317US/$786WW
    Live Free or Die Hard (2007) - $134US/$388WW
    Jurassic World (2015) - HUGE $653US/$1.6 Billion+
    Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011) - Kept the Tom Cruise/Ethan Hunt saga going strong $209US/$694WW
    Toy Story 4 (2019) - keeps on rolling with $434US/$1 Billion+

I'm sure there are small hits that count, especially in the horror genre, like Friday 13th, NoES, Halloween, Saw, Purge, Chucky etc
    Then there are things like Ghostbusters. Afterlife is technically the 4th film(made money) but 3rd in main timeline meaning Frozen Empire (which has done decent) is the 4th film
    Then utter stinkers, finanical wise( I rather liked the movie myself), such as Expendables 4
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 05-09-2024 at 07:26 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

"do part 4 movies make much money?"

Hmm. Good question. Lets see with the power of google--

Toy story 4

1.073 billion USD

Star wars ep 1 (if you don't count the two ewoks movies getting big screen releases overseas)

1.029 billion USD

Die hard with a vengence (the detective is always forgot about)

366.1 million USD

Thor 4

760.9 million USD

Star trek 4

133 million USD

Nightmare on elm street 4

49.4 million USD

Friday the 13th part 4

$33 million

Bond 4 not counting the first movie pre connery

141.2 million USD

Police academy 4

76.8 million USD

Ice age 4

877.2 million USD

Keep in mind some of these are in pre inflation money and will be more today.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 05-09-2024 at 07:19 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^^
    Die Hard with a Vengeance, the one with Samuel L. Jackson, is part 3 from 1995.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Its 4. Detective is part 1, die hard is part 2, die hard 2 is ironic part 3 and vengeance is 4.

Heck they even have some boxsets of die hard with the detective in it.