Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Does anyone here remember the sheer amount of hype around The Phantom Menace in 1999?

I believe the trailer of The Phantom Menace alone turned a movie (i can't remember which one) into a hit because so many people were just coming to watch the preview. Heck, I think there were estimates that the economy lost about $300 million in productivity due to people taking time off to see the film.

I mean, people hated the movie so much that they watched it over and over and over again. LOLOLOL.
    Wing Commander was the movie. It was a TERRIBLE movie but when I went, opening Day, first showing, the movie was PACKED and after the trailer was shown, over half the people left...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Wing Commander was the movie. It was a TERRIBLE movie but when I went, opening Day, first showing, the movie was PACKED and after the trailer was shown, over half the people left...
    Yeah, that was it.

Wing Commander was still a bomb but I guess it was less of a bomb because of TPM.

Wing Commander so bad that even Freddy Prinze Jr can't watch it again. My man has completely disavowed the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    The "typical MCU film" is a massive blockbuster.
    Tell me honestly - does a movie draw you in solely from being a "massive blockbuster?" If you can tell a movie is poised to make a lot of money, does that convince you to go see it?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Well "typical MCU film" has a strong track record overall. Some lesser product during and post Covid to be sure. However from '08 thru 2019 the number of sheer crowd pleasers is hardly matched. Your insult doesn't hit the way you intend it to.
    Who am I insulting exactly? Disney? Oh, boo hoo.... yes, most MCU movies don't look great. This goes back to Civil War. And now since Endgame, everything has just been bland corporate product. So that's what I meant by typical MCU film. Of course it's subjective.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^^
    You're trying to hard now man. It was a general insult meant to say MCU films are cheap looking/acting...____fill in the blank.
    Yeah it is subjective to a point. I'm not a fan of Eternals but it has high production values, is acted well and has great f/x but just doesn't gel as a whole film. That I would say is atypical of the MCU as a whole.

But look, I get it. There has been this undercurrent of folks since 2012s Avengers slowly simmering to convince folks the MCU sucks for 'X reason'. During Covid the output was mixed and that back channel seeped into enough minds that being an MCU hater is now kind of cool for some folks.

Take down the champ, that mindset will always exist.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ^^^^^
    You're trying to hard now man. It was a general insult meant to say MCU films are cheap looking/acting...____fill in the blank.
    Yeah it is subjective to a point. I'm not a fan of Eternals but is has high production values, is acted well and has great f/x but just doesn't gel as a whole film. That I would say is atypical of the MCU as a whole.

But look, I get it. There has been this undercurrent of folks since 2012s Avengers slowly simmering to convince folks the MCU sucks for 'X reason'. During Covid they output was mixed and that back channel seeped into enough minds that being an MCU hater is now kind of cool for some folks.

Take down the champ, that mindset will always exist.
    Not a man. and how am I trying too hard when it seems like you agree with me? Also what does "take down the champ" mean?

I never said the MCU sucks, I've made it clear I don't like it but I was directly responding to this claim that the Marvels flopped because of a hate campaign. That accusation is ludicrous.

"Being an MCU hater is cool for some folks" that is just a ridiculous thing to say. If I told you I don't shop at Wal-Mart would you say the same thing? Since the dawn of corporatism in Hollywood there have been blockbuster films put out by billion dollar companies and large groups of people who don't enjoy those types of movies for various reasons. It's not cool to hate the MCU just like it was never cool to like the MCU. They are just products.

In my view, the Marvels looked like more of the same, and in this day and age, when you're a billion dollar company putting out the same stuff, for a lot of people it just turns into noise and loses any weight or importance. That doesn't mean it isn't there, just that people don't care to seek it out. It's normal. Not the result of a hate campaign.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

FOX also put a sort of "Omnibus" preview of three upcoming films-The Beach, TITAN A.E and Fight Club in front of Phantom Menace.

Fight Club of course needs no introduction.

The Beach was kind of one of the attempts to follow up Dicaprio's Titanic appeal until he kind of hit his stride with Scorcese.

A.E was the last film of Don Bluth and seemed to be him trying to do a slightly more adult animation than his previous Disneyesque films.

Also the General's Daughter, which was a mystery thriller movie with Travolta.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    You really think the movie flopped because of a hate campaign and not because it looked flat and boring and like a typical MCU film? I want to hear you out but that's a ridiculous notion.
    Both can play a part in it.

The issue is there are MANY reasons a movie does not do well that might not have a THING to do with a hate campaign.

However that vocal minority ALWAYS want to take credit for it.

No amount of logic will deter them. Especially the faction that does not watch said movie.

It's like with Disney Strange World. Folks blamed the buy black son including some professional reviewers.

As someone who saw and OWN the film-his sexuality played ZERO with the plot. Him liking a boy might have eaten up 3 minutes of the movie.

Or take the Flash-I live in a large city-that film was out of theaters after two weeks. If anybody wanted to see it in my city-you were looking at an hour drive to the nearest theater to see it.

Black Adam-here you only had Thursday through Sunday to watch it at any theater. Unlike Barbie who you could watch anytime during the week.

Blue Beetle-after a few weeks where you could spend as little as $5 to see it. Later on it showed only at theaters whose tickets started at $15.

Or how many free tickets did a movie have out? If the new Kong and Godzilla movie underperform-it might have something to do with the free tickets that are floating out there. I saw too many up to 4 can see that movie for free tickets this past weekend.

However guess who doesn't want to listen to those reasons? the hate campaign gang.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    The "typical MCU film" is a massive blockbuster.

The Marvels opened poorly, which is a marketing issue. When you only have haters and no one speaking for something, that's a problem. It didn't help that their McDonald's promotion happened in July or that the strike rep the stars from promoting it. But I'd say it was unclear who the movie was for. Felt like it was not for wide swaths of hardcore MCU fans, based on the tone, look, and feel. If it was trying to stretch into a different audience, it didn't do that well enough to get people to check it out. I also don't think it's a bad movie. It's a fun superhero flick ... the characters are cool, the fight sequences are creative, the story is simple, and the villain has a clear motivation. Could have been longer, but I enjoyed watching it.
    Well I guess McDonalds didn't learn that lesson as I am now seeing McDonalds with Cap America Brave New World posters up. And the toys are showing a TON of spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well I guess McDonalds didn't learn that lesson as I am now seeing McDonalds with Cap America Brave New World posters up. And the toys are showing a TON of spoilers.
    That's not McDonald's fault.

That's Disney making the deal prior to the strike and not changing the date of the toys.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Kingdom is tracking for a $130M global opening.

Crazy part, it has a $160M budget.

I'm uncertain reading the forecast if that includes the $50M Is opening or not (I suspect it to be inclusive).
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 05-07-2024 at 08:33 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Speaking of McDonald's toys , this happened before with Disney and McDonald's. As mentioned Covid threw off the schedule a lot. The 2 TV series (Wanda , Hawkeye) was supposed to roll out with McDonald's toys. Well those shows didn't come out til a year later and well...the mini Funkos came out so early. I have a number of them.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Extraordinary Member

Has "Snow White" been Batgirled? It was not on the list of 2024 or 2025 movies Iger referenced on the earnings call he made a couple of days ago. Even Captain America 4 was there, despite the famous problems shooting it, which included a furious Anthony Mackie who was livid when asked to shoot a fight scene against a green screen when they had no script for it, and could not tell him who he was supposed to be fighting. But Snow White was nowhere to be seen.

I'm curious because I don't favor the Batgirl treatment---I think if you go to the trouble of shooting a movie, you should certainly allow audiences to see it. Plus, you then have to compensate the actors and others with points for not giving them the opportunity to get that money, at which point you're basically paying them for something you'll never benefit from.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I can only hope Snow White never takes off. This was the movie that Disney put everything into and gambled his entire company on. Walt himself said this was his masterpiece and the perfect story in his eyes. The new project is flat out disrespectful to his vision in my books. If any movie should be thrown in the garbage its this new Snow White Movie.

The changes in an already messed up plot. First Seven Dwarves are too 'offensive' so its changed to a group of diverse people. Now the dwarves are odd looking cgi forms. (To be fair, it went from Cringe to Weird so at least that was an improvement) and don't even get me started on Zegler's Attitude and Disrespect for the story. The entire project stinks of a dumpster fire.

Captain America 4: If even half of the things I read about this are true, its going to be a disaster.

- Much of/if not all the Audience didn't like the test screening. Complaints ranged from the film's political content, uninspiring/engaging tones and lack of chemistry with certain characters
    - Anthony Mackie himself isn't happy with the film's pacing
    - I can only imagine the additional costs of the months of re-shoots added to what is already a gamble of a film

Batgirl: When I first saw the costume I thought it was insulting and agreed with dumping the project. But the Drinker supposedly got a hold of the script and revealed what the story was going to be about....it actually sounds very interesting! Very realistic and gritty. Id rather have a Cassandra Cain Film but I'd definitely give that Batgirl Movie a chance if what I read was true.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 05-08-2024 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Has "Snow White" been Batgirled? It was not on the list of 2024 or 2025 movies Iger referenced on the earnings call he made a couple of days ago. Even Captain America 4 was there, despite the famous problems shooting it, which included a furious Anthony Mackie who was livid when asked to shoot a fight scene against a green screen when they had no script for it, and could not tell him who he was supposed to be fighting. But Snow White was nowhere to be seen.

I'm curious because I don't favor the Batgirl treatment---I think if you go to the trouble of shooting a movie, you should certainly allow audiences to see it. Plus, you then have to compensate the actors and others with points for not giving them the opportunity to get that money, at which point you're basically paying them for something you'll never benefit from.
    Minecraft

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part Two

Snow White

Captain America: Brave New World

The Unbreakable Boy

Thunderbolts

Wicked: Part Two

The Fantastic Four

Lethal Weapon 5

Zootopia 2

Knives Out 3

Bridget Jones: Mad About The Boy

Tron: Ares

Superman

Ballerina
    Snow White is currently wedged between Cap and MI.

Those have baked in fans, probably gets moved.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I can only hope Snow White never takes off. This was the movie that Disney put everything into and gambled his entire company on. Walt himself said this was his masterpiece and the perfect story in his eyes. The new project is flat out disrespectful to his vision in my books. If any movie should be thrown in the garbage its this new Snow White Movie.

The changes in an already messed up plot. First Seven Dwarves are too 'offensive' so its changed to a group of diverse people. Now the dwarves are odd looking cgi forms. (To be fair, it went from Cringe to Weird so at least that was an improvement) and don't even get me started on Zegler's Attitude and Disrespect for the story. The entire project stinks of a dumpster fire.

Captain America 4: If even half of the things I read about this are true, its going to be a disaster.

- Much of/if not all the Audience didn't like the test screening. Complaints ranged from the film's political content, uninspiring/engaging tones and lack of chemistry with certain characters
    - Anthony Mackie himself isn't happy with the film's pacing
    - I can only imagine the additional costs of the months of re-shoots added to what is already a gamble of a film

Batgirl: When I first saw the costume I thought it was insulting and agreed with dumping the project. But the Drinker supposedly got a hold of the script and revealed what the story was going to be about....it actually sounds very interesting! Very realistic and gritty. Id rather have a Cassandra Cain Film but I'd definitely give that Batgirl Movie a chance if what I read was true.
    You follow the Critical Drinker?

That guy's an alt-right, racist trash person.

No offense, but I legit wonder who follows people like that considering their unabashed white supremacist stance on all things film and media.

I mean, Drinker and other people have been going in on Rachel Zegler's casting because she's not white enough (even though she's a white hispanic) which is the text book definition of racism.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-08-2024 at 08:58 AM.