Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Another thing that puts me off is too much content. I really like watching many franchises, movies, series and films but I cannot afford going to the cinema twice a month.

I wanted to see Dune 2, Godzilla (both) Madame Web, Fall Guy, Planet of the Apes, Furiosa and many more. I didnt go because of budget, and another factor. I rent every streaming platform, that is expensive enough. Including Sky.

The other factor is, my friends almost gave up on cinema. Everyone is a Dad now, and doesn't have the time nor the patience for a movie. They wait for streaming.

Only my wife and me left out of 12 people that once went to the cinema regularly. Imagine...
    I pay for the AMC pass. $24 a month and get to see 3 movies a week. Some months I see none and some I see 6 or more. It pays for itself in the end as long as you don't get concessions.

You can get drink deals with a list also. As for high drinks and food prices baseball, bowling, theme parks and concerts and cons are far worse, and you don't get free drink refills like at the movies.

Movies cost $9 here matinee if I don't use a list or $12 otherwise. I pay more at mcdonalds for food.

But yes a-list for amc. Others have programs also but amc it's $20 a month for three movies a week any format and you get the reward stuff like adding up points to get free popcorn and a pay small size price for a large drink with it last time! Even big D can be used. Have my inside out 2 and deadpool tickets already got and didn't pay a cent as I already paid my $20.

Plus, first month is only 99 cents. Don't understand why more amc users don't use it.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 05-29-2024 at 09:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

I dont think movie prices have anything to do with box office. If that was the case you would see dramatic attendance decreases in sports attendance. And since pandemic has ended that isnt the case. Baseball had its best year last year in years with attendance and this year has been even better. And all the other big sports have had great attendance as well. Its way bigger than prices at the movie theater.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I dont think movie prices have anything to do with box office.
    I think it depends on the movie, I think especially for Family movies the ticket prices vs the much lower cost for streaming might be a reason for people just waiting.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I dont think movie prices have anything to do with box office. If that was the case you would see dramatic attendance decreases in sports attendance. And since pandemic has ended that isnt the case. Baseball had its best year last year in years with attendance and this year has been even better. And all the other big sports have had great attendance as well. Its way bigger than prices at the movie theater.
    There's a scale difference, though. Individual sports games require tens of thousands of people to buy tickets. Movies require tens of millions of people to buy tickets. MLB's entire 2023 attendance at $11/ticket would be lower than No Way Home's domestic box office. Like what's happening with fast food. They're losing lower income people (incomes under $50K) due to prices. Movies would also need lower income people to come in at a level to which sports do not. I don't think it's the primary problem for the precipitous drop - people find money for experiences that they value and movies aren't insanely overpriced in comparison to other things. But there has to be some kind of impact when lower income people try to balance their priorities.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    There's a scale difference, though. Individual sports games require tens of thousands of people to buy tickets. Movies require tens of millions of people to buy tickets. MLB's entire 2023 attendance at $11/ticket would be lower than No Way Home's domestic box office. Like what's happening with fast food. They're losing lower income people (incomes under $50K) due to prices. Movies would also need lower income people to come in at a level to which sports do not. I don't think it's the primary problem for the precipitous drop - people find money for experiences that they value and movies aren't insanely overpriced in comparison to other things. But there has to be some kind of impact when lower income people try to balance their priorities.

MLB sold 70 million tickets last year. The cheapest seat at a baseball game is basically a movie ticket. That is the cheapest seat. Theme park attendance is also rebounding from pandemic lows. And we know how much that cost. Movie attendance has not rebounded from pre pandemic. It just hasn't. Its literally having a much worse year than last year and the worst in 30 years. If these other entertainment industries can come back why cant movie theaters. All I am saying is this is much more than ticket prices.

'Moana 2' Becomes Most Watched Disney Trailer Ever For Animation Title(178M Views In 24 Hours)

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/c..._trailer_ever/

Astonishing Member

MLB sold 70 million tickets last year. The cheapest seat at a baseball game is basically a movie ticket. That is the cheapest seat. Theme park attendance is also rebounding from pandemic lows. And we know how much that cost. Movie attendance has not rebounded from pre pandemic. It just hasn't. Its literally having a much worse year than last year and the worst in 30 years. If these other entertainment industries can come back why cant movie theaters. All I am saying is this is much more than ticket prices.
    Just wanted to add that some if not the majority of MLB teams have been around for decades and that has a built in fanbase no matter how many losing seasons some cities have. Also companies buy up seats to give away for doing business so corporations is a big factor in ticket sales. The poor movie industry is competing with all these streaming services with VOD in short as two weeks while sports really doesn't have any new competition to lose ticket sales.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I hardly do sports or concerts anymore cause it isn't' just the ticket.
    I have to pay $30/40/50 to park around the venue depending on what the vendors view as demand given other events in the area. My wife and I went to the Symphony for the first time since Covid this past November and it was now $45 to park. That's a third ticket, a third meal (even at current restaurant prices) so everything faces extra factors. Corporations may buy up tickets to these also.

These other rebounding entertainment industries have at least one thing not competing with them....the comfort of your home.
    So many people have adequate or extraordinaire home TV/audio set ups and can mimic a movie experience to their satisfaction quite well.
    Folks can't replicate a stadium or arena sport experience at home or a concert for a few reasons.
    However, they can be patient, redirect funds from movies into other things like sports or concerts or eating out.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime