Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

They'll protect all 3 of them.

Hopefully they learn from marketing mistakes and story mistakes.

It certainly isn't the actresses.
    "When you've got so much to say, it's called gratitude /
    And that's right."
    -- Beastie Boys

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    The Marvels is not a bad film. I can agree its not on the level with the greatest in the genre as well.
    However, this film truly suffered from a successful online hate/rage/sexist/Brie scorn agenda if ever there was one.
    Where the attempts have failed several times with Chris Pratt(GotG3, JW3 and Mario) the haters scored a victory with The Marvels hate campaign.
    You really think the movie flopped because of a hate campaign and not because it looked flat and boring and like a typical MCU film? I want to hear you out but that's a ridiculous notion.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

I personally agree that the haters online are just a loud minority. Let's not give them more power than they really have.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

The "typical MCU film" is a massive blockbuster.

The Marvels opened poorly, which is a marketing issue. When you only have haters and no one speaking for something, that's a problem. It didn't help that their McDonald's promotion happened in July or that the strike rep the stars from promoting it. But I'd say it was unclear who the movie was for. Felt like it was not for wide swaths of hardcore MCU fans, based on the tone, look, and feel. If it was trying to stretch into a different audience, it didn't do that well enough to get people to check it out. I also don't think it's a bad movie. It's a fun superhero flick ... the characters are cool, the fight sequences are creative, the story is simple, and the villain has a clear motivation. Could have been longer, but I enjoyed watching it.

Well you also have to account for the strike, which meant the stars couldn't promote it. And when the premise of the film is based on cast chemistry, that's a big deal.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    According to deadline. The Marvels lost 237 million making it the biggest bomb of 2023.

https://deadline.com/2024/05/biggest...es-1235902825/

I thought it would be higher.
    The same for indiana jones and the dial of destiny,the flash etc..

I was reading some of the comments inside the link just now and someone mentions that Disney includes its marketing costs within movie budgets.
    Interesting.

So certain youtube channels,websites get it wrong and you know who they are.
    They make it look like these movies lost 300million,400 million or higher and of course they did not.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...art-II/page776
    Last edited by mace11; 05-03-2024 at 12:37 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post

It actually is probably higher. The production cost is listed at 270M when it has been reported that number is for costs leading up to Sept 30 2023. There have been reshoots then that haven't been accounted for so yes, the loss is much higher. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8UEt6ru0gI

Only recently has Disney finally disclosed the actual costs for Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolin...h=6e9311c96864. In case one has to subscribe to Forbes Quantumania costs soared to 330M. Since the movie came out around 9 months earlier I assume the real budget for The Marvels will be disclosed to the public later making the loss even worse.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    You really think the movie flopped because of a hate campaign and not because it looked flat and boring and like a typical MCU film? I want to hear you out but that's a ridiculous notion.
    Coping mechanism. Lots of movies I liked that flopped at the BO but I don't make excuses for them.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Well "typical MCU film" has a strong track record overall. Some lesser product during and post Covid to be sure. However from '08 thru 2019 the number of sheer crowd pleasers is hardly matched. Your insult doesn't hit the way you intend it to. My biggest dislike was the Bollywood dance sequence followed by I could've used less of Kamala's family. The middle part of the film where the three of them are learning to work together was a joy. I toughed out the Ms.Marvel show and it paid off here for me, I felt her character had become much more enjoyable to watch. I guess I also am bummed that after workshopping a code name for Monica they didn't actually speak one.
    It is noted the actors couldn't self-promote the film during release, that no doubt didn't help so in lieu I feel the internet hate campaign carried much more weight then it normally would've.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

There's not a single reason why Marvels bombed but I also don't buy the misogynists being the reason. They didn't do a damn against the Captain Marvel movie or make Alita a billion dollar movie when they pretended to like it. The Marvel brand in general just became diluted. Even for the Fembusters movie I'd argue the misogynists didn't really score a massive win either since that movie did box office in the ballpark of the 2 Ghostbusters movies that followed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    It actually is probably higher. The production cost is listed at 270M when it has been reported that number is for costs leading up to Sept 30 2023. There have been reshoots then that haven't been accounted for so yes, the loss is much higher.
    I thought they would have lost close to 500 million or more if you go by some of these youtube channels and websites.
    The production cost is 270 million so it was would be lower if it was not for the reshoots.
    That 270 million is because of the reshoots but if that changes later then fine but so far we have to stick to what is said and looks like they lost 237 million.
    Last edited by mace11; 05-03-2024 at 02:38 PM.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    There's not a single reason why Marvels bombed but I also don't buy the misogynists being the reason. They didn't do a damn against the Captain Marvel movie or make Alita a billion dollar movie when they pretended to like it. The Marvel brand in general just became diluted. Even for the Fembusters movie I'd argue the misogynists didn't really score a massive win either since that movie did box office in the ballpark of the 2 Ghostbusters movies that followed.
    Making two Disney plus characters coleads

Initial trailers too focused on Ms Marvel

The movie tone be too silly and wacky by even Marvel standards. Captain Marvel bodyswapping with teenage girl could be a fun Disney plus special but a 300 million dollar movie?

Movie looking not important and filler. Like no connection to multi verse or big villain.

Movie looked like cheap tv show inspite of Disney claiming they spend 270 million on it

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post

I was reading some of the comments inside the link just now and someone mentions that Disney includes its marketing costs within movie budgets.
    Interesting.

So certain youtube channels,websites get it wrong and you know who they are.
    They make it look like these movies lost 300million,400 million or higher and of course they did not.
    Baked in costs are pretty SOP, which always makes me chuckle when people talk about marketing and reshooting running up the costs.

Passive income, ancillary profits, and other profit streams factor in, too. Those aren't mentioned when talking about franchises failing when more movies are still churned out.

Godzilla was run at a loss for decades but the toy sales kept it profitable. Pretty sure Marvel has VG, VR, parks, and other merch that stilts loses.

MCU needs some kind of course correct (IMHO less is more, they're losing their must see, event movie appeal) marketing as much as storylines.
    "When you've got so much to say, it's called gratitude /
    And that's right."
    -- Beastie Boys

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    It actually is probably higher. The production cost is listed at 270M when it has been reported that number is for costs leading up to Sept 30 2023. There have been reshoots then that haven't been accounted for so yes, the loss is much higher. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8UEt6ru0gI

Only recently has Disney finally disclosed the actual costs for Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolin...h=6e9311c96864. In case one has to subscribe to Forbes Quantumania costs soared to 330M. Since the movie came out around 9 months earlier I assume the real budget for The Marvels will be disclosed to the public later making the loss even worse.
    Caroline Reid articles should take with a grain of salt about budget, she have herself said for her MoM articles that she is not sure if that include the marketing costs or not, I think the 270 millions dollars for the Marvels is from her too, these numbers are not from Disney.

Also in the article you have posted Quantumania have a net budget of 276 millions after taxes, not 330 millions.
    Last edited by Bolo; 05-04-2024 at 03:42 AM.

The most creative people in Hollywood are not the folks who make the movies, it's the accountants. The higher the "budget" the less profits to pay taxes on and share with those who get royalties.
    I would take these numbers with a whole canister of salt.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!