Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default WW '08 - The Gail Simone Era General Discussion

Thought it'd be fun to discuss Gail Simone specifics - the good, the bad, etc....Gail wrote the Vol.3 of WW for 33 issues (#13-44)
    Previous Threads:
    WW '87 - The Perez Era
    WW '92 - The Messner-Loebs Era
    Eric Luke Run (1998-2000) Discussion
    John Byrne Run Discussion
    BECKY CLOONAN/MICHAEL CONRAD RUN/ERA
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 03-04-2024 at 10:46 AM.

Her run had the opposite problem for me Rucka's first did; his didn't get a proper ending while she inherited a mess. So a lot of her run was spent fixing or having to work within a not-so-great status quo (Nemesis, secret I.D., decimated Themyscira). It's probably why one of my favorite Simone WW stories was the Conan crossover she did, it was largely unburdened by a continuity mess.

But there's good to be found. I think she has the best rounded voice for Diana, serious like Perez/Rucka but also having some comedy to her like the Golden Age. That "Don't kill if you can subdue" panel get shared around a lot, often annoyingly, but like that All-Star Superman panel (you know the one) you can see why.

I think after Veronica Cale, Alkyone is probably my favorite "new OC villain" we see with just about every WW writer. A villainous Amazon who adds some nuance to life on Themyscira but one who doesn't make the whole society look irredeemable like with every other attempt by DC to "dirty up" the Amazons.

I also thought Achilles is probably the best version of a "male Wonder Woman" there could reasonably be for such a dodgy idea. Probably because like with Diana he subverts some expectations one would have of him. I know some don't like the Gorillas but I enjoyed them and wouldn't mind seeing them pop up every now and then. She also low-key has my favorite version of Etta.

But there's stuff I obviously didn't like/care for. The Genocide arc was a slog and I read it collected, so I can only imagine what it must have felt like reading month-to-month. Nemesis is and will always be discount Steve. Ares being killed off and then coming back all messed felt like it should have been a bigger deal. And I also found it kind of odd Simone seemed to better with WW villains in other books (Cheetah in Secret Six, Giganta in the Atom) than actually in the WW book.

Overall, am a fan. Would be happy to see her on my more WW stuff if she did some.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-03-2024 at 07:18 PM.

Incredible Member

She did contribute to the Sensation Comics book, so there's that.

I would have enjoyed seeing Achilles continue to evolve, but her run marked the end of the era that Perez began, so that wasn't to be.

It was great that she brought Etta back in, and I didn't mind Tom being a Steve follow-up of sorts. He still felt like his own character. Its just a shame their relationship moved so quickly and ended in such a weird way. But it was nice to see Diana with a boyfriend, bizarre circumstances aside.

I definitely didn't get the abrupt hacking of Ares, though.

Or the weird return of the Pantheon.

There was a lot in this run that was off-kilter, likely nothing to do with Gail though.

Despite its flaws (and what run doesn't have any flaws?), Gail Simone's WW voice is one of my top three favorites (in no particular order: Perez, Simone, Marston). Bar none.
    I have always wanted for Simone to do some sort of WW Origin story today, unencumbered by her inheriting anybody else's continuity messes or mandated canonical details.
    My perfect-world pairing with Simone writing would be Amanda Conner illustrating (while Marc Andreyko and Jesús Saiz write/draw a Helena Wayne Earth 2 Huntress back up).
    A person can dream.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 03-03-2024 at 11:09 PM.

Fantastic Member

Gail Simone is one of my favourite writers, but her Wonder Woman is one of the "weaker" books she has done for me. But I still enjoy it. As others have said her voice for Diana is probably the best and a lot of the things that is negative about the run is things she had to fix which she did well at, but that still is things I didn't enjoy even though she did her best. I know people here loves them, but I could not stand the gorillas.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post
    Gail Simone is one of my favourite writers, but her Wonder Woman is one of the "weaker" books she has done for me. But I still enjoy it. As others have said her voice for Diana is probably the best and a lot of the things that is negative about the run is things she had to fix which she did well at, but that still is things I didn't enjoy even though she did her best. I know people here loves them, but I could not stand the gorillas.
    Aw, I'm sorry you didn't love it, but I appreciate the kind words from all of you!

I liked the Gorilla Knights, I get how they wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. The idea was to incorporate all eras of Wonder Woman, like many readers,
    it drove me bonkers how every new writer threw out the previous stuff. So I wanted to say, it all happened, if you liked a story, it happened. And the early
    WW had a lot of absurdist stuff, so that was my tip of the tiara to that era.

Since my time on WW is long gone, I am happy to answer questions here about it, if you like. OR if it feels intrusive, I can start a different thread. Whatever works for everyone!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Despite its flaws (and what run doesn't have any flaws?), Gail Simone's WW voice is one of my top three favorites (in no particular order: Perez, Simone, Marston). Bar none.
    I have always wanted for Simone to do some sort of WW Origin story today, unencumbered by her inheriting anybody else's continuity messes or mandated canonical details.
    My perfect-world pairing with Simone writing would be Amanda Conner illustrating (while Marc Andreyko and Jesús Saiz write/draw a Helena Wayne Earth 2 Huntress back up).
    A person can dream.
    I would write just about anything for Amanda to draw. Love her.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    She did contribute to the Sensation Comics book, so there's that.

I would have enjoyed seeing Achilles continue to evolve, but her run marked the end of the era that Perez began, so that wasn't to be.

It was great that she brought Etta back in, and I didn't mind Tom being a Steve follow-up of sorts. He still felt like his own character. Its just a shame their relationship moved so quickly and ended in such a weird way. But it was nice to see Diana with a boyfriend, bizarre circumstances aside.

I definitely didn't get the abrupt hacking of Ares, though.

Or the weird return of the Pantheon.

There was a lot in this run that was off-kilter, likely nothing to do with Gail though.
    Oh, ultimately, it all comes down to me, I don't want to throw blame for anything that didn't work on someone else, except for that bit with Genocide's story being extended.

I dug the sudden Ares thing.

Thanks for the kind words about Etta, I really ended up missing her after leaving the book. And Tom was a legacy character, he was brought in by the team before. But I really grew to like him!

It is oh so sad her run was riddled with the DiDidiocy's BS. That Amazons Attack and Granny effin Goodness defeats Olympus shite is unforgivable. I guess she gets kudos for trying to take the high road and acknowledge that giant poo poo platter, but it definitely hampered the run a bit.

My favorite element of her run was the 5 Questions With series of interviews with vatious creators on WW

Spectacular Member

I enjoyed that 5 Questions series as well. Especially the ones with Dan Mishkin and Martin Pasko because Bronze Age WW doesn't get talked about much. DC acknowledges the Golden Age, the mod Diana Prince era and then skips straight to Perez.

Have you all seen the announcement for the new reprint line - DC Finest - that's supposed to launch in November? Apparently, it's supposed to be DC's version of Marvel's Epic series. The first WW volume is supposed to the Gail's run.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    It is oh so sad her run was riddled with the DiDidiocy's BS. That Amazons Attack and Granny effin Goodness defeats Olympus shite is unforgivable. I guess she gets kudos for trying to take the high road and acknowledge that giant poo poo platter, but it definitely hampered the run a bit.

My favorite element of her run was the 5 Questions With series of interviews with vatious creators on WW
    That was a blast!

And I always say comics at the big two is a bunch of kids sitting at a round table, with a pile of crayons in the middle. Sometimes, you want purple, but some other kid grabbed it, and sometimes, you're left with colors you don't want at all. It's really part of your job to make the best of the crayons you get, and sometimes, you have to throw a fit to get Forest Green, you know?

But I have never complained about it, really. It's a joy and a thrill to get to write these characters. Only a handful do in any given year. I don't care for it when writers just ignore everything that went before. I'd rather work with it and try to make it as cool as I can.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Her run had the opposite problem for me Rucka's first did; his didn't get a proper ending while she inherited a mess. So a lot of her run was spent fixing or having to work within a not-so-great status quo (Nemesis, secret I.D., decimated Themyscira). It's probably why one of my favorite Simone WW stories was the Conan crossover she did, it was largely unburdened by a continuity mess.

But there's good to be found. I think she has the best rounded voice for Diana, serious like Perez/Rucka but also having some comedy to her like the Golden Age. That "Don't kill if you can subdue" panel get shared around a lot, often annoyingly, but like that All-Star Superman panel (you know the one) you can see why.

I think after Veronica Cale, Alkyone is probably my favorite "new OC villain" we see with just about every WW writer. A villainous Amazon who adds some nuance to life on Themyscira but one who doesn't make the whole society look irredeemable like with every other attempt by DC to "dirty up" the Amazons.

I also thought Achilles is probably the best version of a "male Wonder Woman" there could reasonably be for such a dodgy idea. Probably because like with Diana he subverts some expectations one would have of him. I know some don't like the Gorillas but I enjoyed them and wouldn't mind seeing them pop up every now and then. She also low-key has my favorite version of Etta.

But there's stuff I obviously didn't like/care for. The Genocide arc was a slog and I read it collected, so I can only imagine what it must have felt like reading month-to-month. Nemesis is and will always be discount Steve. Ares being killed off and then coming back all messed felt like it should have been a bigger deal. And I also found it kind of odd Simone seemed to better with WW villains in other books (Cheetah in Secret Six, Giganta in the Atom) than actually in the WW book.

Overall, am a fan. Would be happy to see her on my more WW stuff if she did some.
    Fair about Genocide, that arc was NOT supposed to be quite so long. I think she's a good kind of villain for Diana to have, someone who is just a machine of chaos and pain, without the cunning of a lot of her other foes. But there was a mix-up in editorial, and they asked me to spend more time on the island, which I am absolutely positive they did not think through. I had time to plot to make it at least fit the pages, but I think it would have had more impact with a little less space. Also, I designed the costume, so that's not Aaron's fault. AND I designed it using character options from City of Heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by ComixGail View Post
    Also, I designed the costume, so that's not Aaron's fault. AND I designed it using character options from City of Heroes!
    A) The character creation set-up on CoH was insanely great.
    B) Now that you've said it, I can totally see it.

I haven’t read the full run cover to cover but I like the team-ups with Powergirl and Black Canary. They were fun. I feel like Wonder Woman almost never get to team up with non-Wonder Girl superheroes (and even then that has been few and far between until as of late). And the Justice League feels like it doesn’t count because it’s just her half the time and the other half it’s her and one other woman sooo.

Also the artwork was always top notch.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I haven’t read the full run cover to cover but I like the team-ups with Powergirl and Black Canary. They were fun. I feel like Wonder Woman almost never get to team up with non-Wonder Girl superheroes (and even then that has been few and far between until as of late). And the Justice League feels like it doesn’t count because it’s just her half the time and the other half it’s her and one other woman sooo.

Also the artwork was always top notch.
    We lucked out on artists, BIG TIME. And agreed, it's fun to see Diana with other DC women!