Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

From this year's Met Gala, the made from real sand gown worn by Tyla reminded me of the Sook/Bendis sandy DREAM GIRL...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    From this year's Met Gala, the made from real sand gown worn by Tyla reminded me of the Sook/Bendis sandy DREAM GIRL...
    I wouldn’t mind a sand powered Legionnaire actually.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I wouldn’t mind a sand powered Legionnaire actually.
    There was one in the Workforce (Reboot era) named Dune. It's a neat power, although Marvel goes a bit more to that well with Sandman, Quicksand and Dust.

Astonishing Member

Yeah. Nothing wrong with that character design -- except that it was a poor option for Dream Girl. I guess the intent was too tie her to Sandman, or maybe not. Just very weird choice, but Bendis/Sook Legion was full of weird choices.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Yeah. Nothing wrong with that character design -- except that it was a poor option for Dream Girl. I guess the intent was too tie her to Sandman, or maybe not. Just very weird choice, but Bendis/Sook Legion was full of weird choices.
    Similar to other characters, maybe they could have sold us on their changes if they had bothered doing something with the characters and exploring what these superficial changes meant. Maybe it would've been cool, but for most of the Legionnaires we'll never know.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Similar to other characters, maybe they could have sold us on their changes if they had bothered doing something with the characters and exploring what these superficial changes meant. Maybe it would've been cool, but for most of the Legionnaires we'll never know.
    I feel like the artist did a heck of a lot to differentiate the characters, and implied some neat stuff, like Dream Girl's sandy appearance, but that the writer didn't feel like doing the work to flesh that out. Waste of a great artist, IMO.

One of several things that annoyed me was that not only did the characters have interchangeable dialogue and personalities, they also seemed to have squiffy interchangeable powers. Dr. Fate, Brainiac 5, Gold Lantern, White Witch *and* Ultra Boy were all shown throwing up force fields. That sort of power makes sense for a Fate or a Lantern, or for some iterations of Brainy, who had internalized his belt, or for a more-developed White Witch, but Ultra Boy? That's not a typical 'ultra-power' for him, and if that's gonna be teased, I darn well wanted to know more about it. *This* Ultra Boy clearly wasn't the 'all the powers of Superboy, just one at a time' version I expected, and I wanted to know more. I am intrigued by the notion of an Ultra Boy who has found other applications for ultra-energy than just mimicking the powers of Superboy, one at a time. Can he mimic the powers of other Legionnaires? Ultra-phasing? Ultra-magnetism? Ultra-intelligence? Inquiring minds want to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I feel like the artist did a heck of a lot to differentiate the characters, and implied some neat stuff, like Dream Girl's sandy appearance, but that the writer didn't feel like doing the work to flesh that out. Waste of a great artist, IMO.

One of several things that annoyed me was that not only did the characters have interchangeable dialogue and personalities, they also seemed to have squiffy interchangeable powers. Dr. Fate, Brainiac 5, Gold Lantern, White Witch *and* Ultra Boy were all shown throwing up force fields. That sort of power makes sense for a Fate or a Lantern, or for some iterations of Brainy, who had internalized his belt, or for a more-developed White Witch, but Ultra Boy? That's not a typical 'ultra-power' for him, and if that's gonna be teased, I darn well wanted to know more about it. *This* Ultra Boy clearly wasn't the 'all the powers of Superboy, just one at a time' version I expected, and I wanted to know more. I am intrigued by the notion of an Ultra Boy who has found other applications for ultra-energy than just mimicking the powers of Superboy, one at a time. Can he mimic the powers of other Legionnaires? Ultra-phasing? Ultra-magnetism? Ultra-intelligence? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Yeah the Bendis Legion ended up being a huge missed opportunity with a ton of potential. I really feel like Sook knocked it out of the park on the character designs as well as just making everything actually look futuristic. Unfortunately, as you said, we didn't get to know really anything about most of the characters. Made worse by the fact that the entire team seemed to always be in the backgrounds of every scene. I still think this version should be a Legion inspired by the Classic Legion not their replacements.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I just want to know when DC will stop being jerks and finally start releasing the Baxter series in trases. It is just inconceivable that trash like the 2nd Waid and the Bendis runs have been collected in full while the Levitz stuff has NEVER (outside of the first 13 issues) been collected in any form. I mean WTF?!? That run is considered THE BEST by nearly everyone, and yet DC being petty assholes refuses to put it out even though people have been screaming at them too for 3 decades now. There are literally 50+ issues of prime Legion stories that new fans have probably never seen because they are not available except in back issues.

DC needs to stop being petty and give the people what they want. You can collected the whole Baxter series in either 3 thick trades or 2 omnis.

https://x.com/mikeljanin/status/1791...487sLx_4UoiJsQ

Johns brought back his Retroboot after all. Maybe that’s why JSA took so long, editorial wanted the Bendisboot and he put his foot down and said no. Will they stick around? Guess we will find out once the new JSA direction gets announced.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

They're baaaaaack.....

I wish Saturn Girl could have long hair again.

what does James Gunn say about the Legion at this point? We need to see them in live action sooner rather than 20 years from now.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm so happy to see the Retroboot Legion back. Although I don't know what the chances are we get a new Legion ongoing anytime soon... probably only if James Gunn plans to include them in his DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm so happy to see the Retroboot Legion back. Although I don't know what the chances are we get a new Legion ongoing anytime soon... probably only if James Gunn plans to include them in his DCU.
    Maybe if the Supergirl movie is a big hit, they'll feature heavily in the sequel....? (faint hope...) Honestly, it would eliminate the "where's Clark" of it all and "Superman's shadow" issue - stick her in the 31st century and have her be the greatest hero of that world.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Remind me? Retroboot LEGION was the one that was the Levitz league with a few updates/tweaks by Geoff Johns in ACTION COMICS ?

Also featured in their own book by Levitz, himself? (seeing a collection called LEGION OF SUPERHEROES:THE CHOICE )
    Last edited by Thirteen; 05-18-2024 at 07:47 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Ultimate Member

Some of that Retroboot art was hot. I particularly liked Wildfire with the Kirby dots. Not so much a fan of some of the other changes, to the ladies, in particular, like Dreamy changing from platinum blonde to just blonde, Projectra's ludicrous boob window and Yera having hair, at all. And some of the dudes seemed to busy up their costumes to not-remotely-an-improvement, like Invisible Jacques and Polar Boy.

Still, Yildray Cinar (sp?) had some really great art!
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-18-2024 at 10:48 AM.