Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider-man '98

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Gotta admit, as much as I said I wouldn't go crazy over a Spider-Man '98 being announced... that cameo did get me hyped. Didn't even realize how much I'd be excited for him till I saw him swinging again in HD.

Interesting.

I mean, it's Spider-Man and Season 2 was greenlighted before Season 1 even released. It clearly hasn't left an imprint, though.

Definitely. But Spectacular was also a no-nonsense show. By that I mean its own thing, no inserting other Marvel characters, no gimmick (e.g. MCU spinoff, working with Norman, etc.) and just adapted the comics. It's more like X-Men '97 than FN seems to be.

It's not impossible for FN to match the rest but there's only so much you can do with a weird unnatural premise IMO.
    The fact that they seem to be ignoring Peter's actual supporting cast in favor of random Marvel characters (who are typically portrayed as superheroes themselves) isn't exactly an exciting prospect.

There is zero reason Peter's BFF should be Nico Minoru.

Gotta admit, as much as I said I wouldn't go crazy over a Spider-Man '98 being announced... that cameo did get me hyped. Didn't even realize how much I'd be excited for him till I saw him swinging again in HD.

Also, his cameo is actually quite clever.

spoilers:
    Magneto just declared war on humanity and launched a global EMP. Spidey is Marvel's "everyman" so for him to see Magneto's attack while swinging and going about his day puts into perspective what Magneto just did.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I was actually thinking wouldn't the EMP have shorted out his web-shooters too?
    end of spoilers
    I mean, it's Spider-Man and Season 2 was greenlighted before Season 1 even released. It clearly hasn't left an imprint, though.
    But there seems to be plenty of production shakeups nevertheless. Really makes you wonder.
    Definitely. But Spectacular was also a no-nonsense show. By that I mean its own thing, no inserting other Marvel characters, no gimmick (e.g. MCU spinoff, working with Norman, etc.) and just adapted the comics. It's more like X-Men '97 than FN seems to be.

It's not impossible for FN to match the rest but there's only so much you can do with a weird unnatural premise IMO.
    I do think that on paper it looks like the 2017 show but with probably better production values, though it's really hard to gauge at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The fact that they seem to be ignoring Peter's actual supporting cast in favor of random Marvel characters (who are typically portrayed as superheroes themselves) isn't exactly an exciting prospect.

I can't help but think they saw Ganke in the movies and thought "well, I guess we need Peter to have an Asian BFF with magic potential in our show too."

It's like they refuse to use Peter's actual supporting cast or (gasp) normal people!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    I was actually thinking wouldn't the EMP have shorted out his web-shooters too?
    end of spoilers
    You're right! His web breaks.

I'm not sure this is such a problem. There have been countless film and TV adaptations of Spider-Man's world over the years. There will no doubt be countless others.I'm not sure I am honestly that bothered about seeing yet another version of Harry, MJ or whoever.

Am I excited to see Peter interacting with Nico Minoru? No not at all. And in fact, my interest in the animated Spider-Man shows that Marvel are currently making is basically zero. But do I see a problem with it? Absolutely not. Why not? She's a relatively interesting character. It might fall flat. But who knows, it might be an inspired idea. Why not give it a go?

I would caveat all this however by saying that I will not be watching it!

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    I'm not sure this is such a problem. There have been countless film and TV adaptations of Spider-Man's world over the years. There will no doubt be countless others.I'm not sure I am honestly that bothered about seeing yet another version of Harry, MJ or whoever.

Am I excited to see Peter interacting with Nico Minoru? No not at all. And in fact, my interest in the animated Spider-Man shows that Marvel are currently making is basically zero. But do I see a problem with it? Absolutely not. Why not? She's a relatively interesting character. It might fall flat. But who knows, it might be an inspired idea. Why not give it a go?

It just feels weird that they keep pairing him with superpowered characters or characters he has no relationship with instead of his legit supporting cast.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post

I think the combination of it being a high school show (4th one in a row in 15 years - even Batman's shows had more variety), it being adjacent to MCU Spidey (which a lot of us are sour on), and it coming out in a time where a lot of us think Marvel has overdone the crossover thing and needs to do more self-contained stuff like X-Men '97 (which is still in a shared universe but is self-contained)... those three things make it hard to be that buzzed about it.

I'm sure most of us will give it a chance. But if we're strictly talking marketing, those three factors are arguably handicaps for a lot of Spider-Man fans right now.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-03-2024 at 12:11 PM.

I think the combination of it being a high school show (4th one in a row in 15 years - even Batman's shows had more variety), it being adjacent to MCU Spidey (which a lot of us are sour on), and it coming out in a time where a lot of us think Marvel has overdone the crossover thing and needs to do more self-contained stuff like X-Men '97 (which is still in a shared universe but is self-contained)... those three things make it hard to be that buzzed about it.

I'm sure most of us will give it a chance. But if we're strictly talking marketing, those three factors are arguably handicaps for a lot of Spider-Man fans right now.
    To add to this, a lot of recent Spider-Man media have used an older Peter. Insomniac's games and Hickman's Ultimate Spider-Man chief among them.

(The Spider-Verse movies also exist, but Peter isn't the main character in them. Audiences did respond positively to the older Peter in those films.)

Astonishing Member

To add to this, a lot of recent Spider-Man media have used an older Peter. Insomniac's games and Hickman's Ultimate Spider-Man chief among them.

(The Spider-Verse movies also exist, but Peter isn't the main character in them. Audiences did respond positively to the older Peter in those films.)
    That too. It seems off from the zeitgeist.

It feels like the maybe perfect show to have come out 2016-2021. Which also gives it sunk cost vibes.

Well, at least Ultimate barely focused on the school and it was mostly a (badly executed) team show while the 2017 one made everything about SCIENCE and prominently featured other Spider Heroes. So it wasn't the same exact high school setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    That's the easy part: one is a revival that picks up with him in his adulthood and the other is teenage Pete going to school and saving the city.

Personally, I'd rather get Spidey 98. I'm sick of the high school Spidey stuff.
    Same, especially since from what we’ve see it draws heavily on the MCU (it’s just that instead of Tony Stark, Norman Osborn is Peter’s mentor).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Same, especially since from what we’ve see it draws heavily on the MCU (it’s just that instead of Tony Stark, Norman Osborn is Peter’s mentor).
    Norman Osborn at least makes more sense, as it comes from Peter's own mythos and isn't inserting the wider MU because the producers think Spider-Man, of all characters/franchises, can't stand on his/its own. Hell, Tony as Peter's mentor in the comics was explicitly something that went bad because, as Steve Rogers/Captain America himself pointed out in one of the tie-ins to Civil War, Tony was exploiting Peter's need for a father figure after losing Uncle Ben to keep Peter on his side even as Tony sided with the pro-registration forces and went to such extremes in doing so that Peter had to break away from him for his own conscience's sake. Sadly, that didn't happen before Peter exposed himself as Spider-Man to show his support for registration, support that he withdrew after he witnessed the lengths Tony was willing to go to in order to win, which ultimately led to One More Day when Aunt May was fatally wounded by a bullet from a sniper hired by the Kingpin, which wouldn't have been possible without Peter publicly unmasking in the first place and exposing himself and his loved ones to threats from the many enemies he'd made over the years.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

That too. It seems off from the zeitgeist.

It feels like the maybe perfect show to have come out 2016-2021. Which also gives it sunk cost vibes.
    Yeah...I think the time for "teen Peter" cartoons has passed. The show will probably get one season...maybe 2 depending on how many episodes are already produced...or due to contracts...but it will probably be something that will come and go without much interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Yeah...I think the time for "teen Peter" cartoons has passed. The show will probably get one season...maybe 2 depending on how many episodes are already produced...or due to contracts...but it will probably be something that will come and go without much interest.
    If they want to do a new High School Spider-Man cartoon, Miles Morales is right there, ready to take on the role of protagonist.

If they want to do a new High School Spider-Man cartoon, Miles Morales is right there, ready to take on the role of protagonist.
    I think the problem is just that you have more material to mine with Peter for an ongoing cartoon than you would Miles without doing variants of Peter stuff.

I mean, Miles has way more material now than he did back then but even the Insomniac games just have him deal with Peter villains so far.

Of course they also don't have any problem putting Peter in the same age group as Miles' peers either.

Astonishing Member

Slam dunk post.

And if mining material would be a problem (like Frontier mentioned), they can do a Peter-and-Miles show. Like Spidey and his Amazing Friends (2021) but for an older audience. Hey, not like Peter pre-OMD was a teacher and Miles is a student! (You can easily put them in the same environment.)
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-03-2024 at 09:21 PM.