Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider-man '98

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That show had enough problems giving every supporting character powers or some kind of Superhero role.

The best thing they did was just show her being actively engaged in the action as a civilian without needing powers or a suit.

Though I'm sure if they'd done a 5th season they would have given her powers.
    The "Venom-Spinneret" thing would have been temporary and would have gone away as soon as the symbiote invasion/takeover was repelled, though I do see your point.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Certainly, this series would have already been announced if not for the upcoming Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man show. I guess they wouldn't have two Spider-Man shows running at the same time.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like Ultimate and Spectacular were part of the problem when they said "look how easily we can port characters/stories that Peter dealt with in college into his high school years."
    To be fair, a lot of those scenarios at 18 could work at 16 (it's not that huge of a difference)...If anything it's mostly some of the school interactions that'd be different (i.e. your professors don't really care if you miss their classes). They did change some of Peter's cast personalities in both though. Spectacular decided to try to guess backwards what some students like Gwen would be like in high school vs. just porting them in (i.e. Gwen was in Peter's science classes in college, so they made her brainy in the animated series)... MJ's party girl was ported in wholesale though. The Ultimate comic was going to keep Peter in high school perpetually though.

For Spider-Man '98, I do wonder how much of it will be spent "cleaning up" from the confines of the original series. Doc Ock not being a lackey of Kingpin? Harry or Kraven returning back to villainy though their stories were wrapped up?
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 05-08-2024 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Spectacular decided to try to guess backwards what some students like Gwen would be like in high school vs. just porting them in (i.e. Gwen was in Peter's science classes in college, so they made her brainy in the animated series)...
    I think it's more that Gwen did not really have much of a personality in the Romita years in the comics, so they had to create stuff to fill in the blanks. If you count all versions of Spider-Gwen as one adaptation, I don't think any two major adaptations of Gwen have similar personalities.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

To be fair, a lot of those scenarios at 18 could work at 16 (it's not that huge of a difference)...If anything it's mostly some of the school interactions that'd be different (i.e. your professors don't really care if you miss their classes). They did change some of Peter's cast personalities in both though. Spectacular decided to try to guess backwards what some students like Gwen would be like in high school vs. just porting them in (i.e. Gwen was in Peter's science classes in college, so they made her brainy in the animated series)... MJ's party girl was ported in wholesale though. The Ultimate comic was going to keep Peter in high school perpetually though.

For Spider-Man '98, I do wonder how much of it will be spent "cleaning up" from the confines of the original series. Doc Ock not being a lackey of Kingpin? Harry or Kraven returning back to villainy though their stories were wrapped up?
    For Harry, they could just have Norman/Green Goblin bust out of interdimensional limbo to torment Peter some more and try to sway Harry back to him. Depends on if you want to see a version of "Best of Enemies" or not.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

If I remember right Otto in the show was always just trying to further his research and science in working with Kingpin so I feel like it would be easy to spin him off into doing his own thing. Though I don't want Slott "DOC OCK IS THE BE ALL END ALL OF SPIDER-MAN."

BANNED

spoilers for X-Men '97
    spoilers:
    Peter and MJ make brief cameos in the finale
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    spoilers for X-Men '97
    spoilers:
    Peter and MJ make brief cameos in the finale
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    And Flash unfortunately. Well guess he saved Mj with no issues
    end of spoilers
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

spoilers:
    Yeah, it's impossible for it to be before Spider-Man's finale because the Avengers already rescued Captain America, so Peter must've rescued MJ.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    spoilers:
    Peter must've rescued MJ.
    end of spoilers
    DeMayo confirmed it on X.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    DeMayo confirmed it on X.
    So we definitely need a season/show depicting this.

Yeah, we can probably assume that the endings of both X-Men 1992 and Spider-Man 1994 happened simultaneously (not a year apart as originally aired). So the first season of a Spider-Man 98 show would take place at the same time as X-Men 97's first season.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Wow. That means if Spider-Man '98 happens, it will have to be a show where Peter and MJ are together and married already (since they're legally married in that universe). And I also doubt anyone would try to kill her off. It would be too redundant from TAS.

I also Peter's new design there. Didn't care for the Nicholas Hammond look, but they make it look good here in a way TAS never fully did IMO.

Also, hate to do this every time but still... With Peter and MJ cameo'ing together in the hottest show of the year, ASM continues to look off-brand. If Spider-Man '98 happens now, it will look that way even more. But even if it doesn't happen, just this cameo alone makes it look even more off-brand.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 05-15-2024 at 04:13 AM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Wow. That means if Spider-Man '98 happens, it will have to be a show where Peter and MJ are together and married already (since they're legally married in that universe). And I also doubt anyone would try to kill her off. It would be too redundant from TAS.

I also Peter's new design there. Didn't care for the Nicholas Hammond look, but they make it look good here in a way TAS never fully did IMO.

Also, hate to do this every time but still... With Peter and MJ cameo'ing together in the hottest show of the year, ASM continues to look off-brand. If Spider-Man '98 happens now, it will look that way even more. But even if it doesn't happen, just this cameo alone makes it look even more off-brand.
    It's not the hottest show. It's barley registering
    https://fandompulse.com/2024/05/11/x...ming-platform/
    This is the truth and it's better to accept it now

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    It's not the hottest show. It's barley registering
    https://fandompulse.com/2024/05/11/x...ming-platform/
    This is the truth and it's better to accept it now
    It's not really a good choice of source.
    It's doing just fine.