Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There was some criticism for not having Larry Hama write for the series but overall I enjoyed the Devil's Due run. I personally found the issues of G.I. Joe: America's Elite written by Joe Casey to be the weakest of the series.

Thought it was pretty decent. I actually liked much of America's Elite, particularly the Phoenix Guard storyline (think Marvel's "Thunderbolts" with popular Cobra agents such as Zarana and Firefly in the roles) and World War 3, which was the big finale. Cobra forms their own elite division ala the original 13 Joe Team called the Plague with their best agents from various divisions (Crimson Guard, Snow Serpent, Eel, etc.) Hama even returned to write the G.I. Joe team origin story (Declassified) which finally gave a face and name to former Marvel issue 1 in-joke character "Shooter." He also wrote a Storm Shadow ongoing.

My biggest beef with the DDP run was the "Red Shadows" arc. While the team name comes from the original UK Action Force adversaries, DDP reimagined them as an extreme 90's Rob Leifeld Image team, who were soooo badass they killed off fan favorite Lady Jaye and made Flint all emo loner loose Cannon. (Ugh.)
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

All things considered, I'm still grateful that Devil's Due published the comic book version of...

G.I. Joe: Sigma 6

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Its worth a try.

Overall, I thought it was a decent run.