Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Spinoffs from ASM are tough to sustain long-term. I don't believe Marvel expects those books to last.
    Yet Batman is able to. Superman, too.

If Spider-Man is so successful bringing in younger readers as you said, surely that would extend to spin-offs?

But I do hope Spider-boy can hang in there awhile! Not quite ASM, but it still comes off the same character in 616.
    My mistake, I left Spider-Boy off, although it has sadly fallen off the Top 50 chart. I’d love to see it sustain, however. Spider-Man should be able to sustain a second title, one would think. At the least, it would help counter arguments that ASM sales are mostly collectors for whom the story doesn’t matter, just the pristine condition of the issue, and variant covers. But until it does….

However, when looking at data, younger readers tend to gravitate to manga and non-superhero graphic novels (link is to a School Library Journal survey and you can see the breakdown between manga and superhero purchased for school and youth public libraries), with manga showing no signs of slowing down.

If you have evidence younger readers are picking up ASM, by all means do share! I’m fascinated by reader demographics and trends.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; Yesterday at 09:10 PM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Yet Batman is able to. Superman, too.

If Spider-Man is so successful bringing in younger readers as you said, surely that would extend to spin-offs?

My mistake, I left Spider-Boy off, although it has sadly fallen off the Top 50 chart. I’d love to see it sustain, however. Spider-Man should be able to sustain a second title, one would think. At the least, it would help counter arguments that ASM sales are mostly collectors for whom the story doesn’t matter, just the pristine condition of the issue, and variant covers. But until it does….

However, when looking at data, younger readers tend to gravitate to manga and non-superhero graphic novels (link is to a School Library Journal survey and you can see the breakdown between manga and superhero purchased for school and youth public libraries), with manga showing no signs of slowing down.

If you have evidence younger readers are picking up ASM, by all means do share! I’m fascinated by reader demographics and trends.
    Books like Miles Morales, Spider Gwen, and Spider-boy seem more in-line for younger readers, although any age group can enjoy those books. The FCBD also put out a Spidey and his Amazing Friends issue. Granted, DC put out all-ages books, too.

I don't think any comic company is truly successful at bringing in younger readers right now, but that's just based on what I see at one comic store.

While the Spider-man spinoffs are not sustained, it "feels" like Marvel puts out more diverse options along the Spider-line of books in an attempt to draw different ages of readers in.

I'll have to look harder at the DC line - there was definitely a time where they were more all-ages than Marvel.

Regardless of that, just like you posted, young readers are more interested in other options for reading and entertainment, in general, besides comics.

With the current price point, I don't see what can really be done about changing that.