Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

With so many heroes running around the whole 'with great power comes great responsibility' really loses a lot of its luster as there are how many characters that can cover for Peter. This was even shown with this run in how Miles was mad at Peter for abandoning him during his 6 month hiatus but nothing major seemed to have happened during that time as Miles seemingly was able to cover for him I guess? It is kinda the issue where stories seem to pretend that there aren't like 50 other heroes that could assist with things at any given moment that I think if the story keeps reminding the reader of this often enough then a story can lose stakes to a degree in my opinion.

Like the Dead Languages thing happened and only people that actually showed up to fight the giant snake was the Fantastic Four? You would think if a giant monster showed up in the middle of the city there would have been more of a response.

I do find it interesting that nobody has really tried to argue against the very premise of this thread. That ASM has lost its mojo.

All-New Member

I would like to add (if it already wasn't mentioned) new better villains because I feel like at some point the series came to a stopping point on memorable villains and everyone who came after that has been pretty forgettable/bland heck some good female villains would be nice since the character is lacking in that department

also get rid of the events

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess this kind of highlights another issue with Spider-Man that there's just no...sense of grounding or normalcy anymore.
    Have sometimes wondered if that was on purpose, to rebrand the OMD version of the franchise or something?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Have sometimes wondered if that was on purpose, to rebrand the OMD version of the franchise or something?
    I doubt it was intentional.

I don't think they had much of a plan besides just "Spider-Man isn't married" and "we're going to rehash old stories".

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I do find it interesting that nobody has really tried to argue against the very premise of this thread. That ASM has lost its mojo.
    Well, it is kind of just a thread for people who agree, isn't it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It's a genre-wide problem.

Spectacular Member

I think it is kinda a redundant question. I would say whether you think it has lost its mojo or not the best way to fix it would be good stories and I would imagine whether you agree or disagree you would want more good stories.

people been saying ASM suck when I started reading in 2013
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

They might think it's unnecessarily abrasive.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    This isn't my idea so I can't claim credit, but I remember reading it elsewhere that it's very simple: pull a Zeb Wells.

It's 6 months later, but instead of everything being screwed and everyone being miserable, everything's going great. If people demand it they can expand on it later. If not, everyone can just quote that much used line of the times, "that happened".
    Eh, it would seem that the six months of Peter's life getting better is more compelling than just to the point where everything's going great.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How would you prefer Otto be written?

If anything them being agnostic from each other seems to work best because they've been operating that way fine for several years now and attempts to connect them more hasn't seemed to work out.

I just don't feel like it's a pressing issue that needs to be addressed unless you feel like it has to be for the sake of narrative cohesion or Spider-Verse popularity. But Spider-Verse has never been much of a comic Peter thing (or movie thing outside maybe NWH).
    I do think the Spider-Verse is getting to be a big part of the Spider-Man comics.

But you could have a good run with the spider-verse. And you could have a good run where it's barely mentioned. It's kinda like symbiotes that way.

It's the type of thing a creative team could do, but they don't have to do.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    people been saying ASM suck when I started reading in 2013
    Well, that's post-OMD.

People were eviscerating the books during the Clone Saga too.

And Byrne/Mackie was considered so bad that my CBG warned me not to buy 616.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Well, that's post-OMD.

People were eviscerating the books during the Clone Saga too.

And Byrne/Mackie was considered so bad that my CBG warned me not to buy 616.
    Basically Spider-Man lost his mojo since the 90s
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Basically Spider-Man lost his mojo since the 90s
    The JMS era (the era, not just the JMS run itself) is generally well-liked.

Clone Saga through Mackie/Byrne is legitimately bad, but it is also a period they were trying to nix the marriage. The JMS era is legitimately good, and is a period of respite from that (for readers at least . . . the plan to get rid of the marriage was already planned at that point from what I understand).

I generally enjoyed BND, and Big Time is very good. Superior is good when you can read it all at once instead of month-to-month. Found the rest of Slott's run to be all right, except the Queenpin stuff.

I mean, this is from an article CBR posted earlier today:

"The Amazing Spider-Man is usually the bestselling comic on the stands, but calling it the most beloved comic is a road too far. Amazing has been on a downward spiral of fan appreciation since 2007's One More Day, and the most recent volume doesn't exactly make fans of Spider-Man happy for a variety of reasons. Marvel editorial has angered fans for years by keeping Spider-Man and Mary Jane apart despite loud protestations. Many readers have given up on ever getting a Spider-Man book that they could enjoy again. However, that changed when writer Jonathan Hickman started a new Ultimate Universe with Ultimate Invasion."
    I would attest that the whole MJ/Peter situation is probably the most egregious sticking point, but it's far from the only contentious thing the book has done over the years, just as One More Day's baggage affects far more than just the marriage. Ultimate Spider-Man is still a bit fresh, but it's currently doing an admirable job of showing that a lot of preconceived notions about what a Spider-Man comic "should" be to resonate with readers aren't actually substantiated by any real empirical evidence. Painting in broad strokes, having characters that feel relatable and grounded with relevant plots that aren't aiming to recapture the zeitgeist of a bygone era but embracing the "world outside our window" is where USM is truly succeeding, and something I've struggled with in the 616 books for a good long while to find.
    Last edited by Garlador; 04-28-2024 at 08:03 PM.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I do think the Spider-Verse is getting to be a big part of the Spider-Man comics.

But you could have a good run with the spider-verse. And you could have a good run where it's barely mentioned. It's kinda like symbiotes that way.

It's the type of thing a creative team could do, but they don't have to do.
    But does it have any value to Peter and his story? Or ASM in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    They might think it's unnecessarily abrasive.
    USM is outselling ASM by more than 2x.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/ulti...stseller-list/

With results like these, the question must be asked. How can ASM reclaim its mojo?