Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Galactus alone can fix it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly I think ultimately the writing and characterization matters most.
    Here, I agree with you fully. They could announce a miniseries that was about bringing back Peter and Mary Jane's marriage and the first thing I would check is the writer and then the artist. And if it was people that I didn't think would write interesting versions of these characters, I wouldn't buy the book.

But I don't think it's the most important thing for the entire audience. There's a lot of idiosyncrasies. We all have the things that we like to see and things that agitate us. You for instance don't like Spider-Man not being especially competent in fights. I don't like Doctor Octopus babbling about dolts and casting die etc. And I do believe that for a not insignificant portion of the audience, status quo would trump characterization, plot writing, and art.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Galactus alone can fix it.
    If he's back in Lifebringer mode, yeah.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

How does Amazing Spider-Man reclaim its mojo?
    This isn't my idea so I can't claim credit, but I remember reading it elsewhere that it's very simple: pull a Zeb Wells.

It's 6 months later, but instead of everything being screwed and everyone being miserable, everything's going great. If people demand it they can expand on it later. If not, everyone can just quote that much used line of the times, "that happened".
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    If he's back in Lifebringer mode, yeah.
    No.

Eat them.

Eat them all!

And get Mark Millar and Howard Chaykin to do it for good measure.

Undo OMD fully
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

I think we should just accept that Peter and multiple Spider-People just doesn't work. He can team-up with Miles or Gwen and they can use their own distinct thing but ultimately I don't think Peter's narrative has ever been benefitted from having multiple Spider-People or the characters really all work together collectively.

Not even Spencer could really make it work.
    IMO, there isn't sufficient evidence to accept something like that yet.

More importantly, I said they don't have to team up often. Just that their existence has to be acknowledged. It has to have an impact on Peter besides just "Yeah there's another Spider-Hero". The way ASM treats them as peripheral because they want to stay in the 1970s status quo is just not good enough.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's no secret that Ultimate Spider-Man is a massive hit. Currently it is not uncommon to see each issue getting multiple printings. People, for the most part, are loving the title. They gave fans what they have said they wanted for years and, more importantly, fans showed up to buy it in droves.

So what happens to Amazing Spider-Man? It still sells well, but it's not the runaway hit that Ultimate is. Its reputation among fans might be at its lowest in its history. Characters spun off from its current direction are struggling to make traction.

So I ask what can be done for Amazing Spider-Man to regain its mojo? Can anything be done? Does anything need to be done? Or does Marvel Editorial's iron grip on the title mean its impossible for it to ever truly regain its mojo?
    TASM needs a new creative team and new editor.
    Undo OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    IMO, there isn't sufficient evidence to accept something like that yet.

More importantly, I said they don't have to team up often. Just that their existence has to be acknowledged. It has to have an impact on Peter besides just "Yeah there's another Spider-Hero". The way ASM treats them as peripheral because they want to stay in the 1970s status quo is just not good enough.
    Personally I feel like they need to get Peter's character and book in order, as well as his competence as Spider-Man, before they try to address all these spinoff characters who were not designed to co-exist together and were meant as solo stars in their own universe but just ultimately ended up co-habiting in 616.

It's not like their solos acknowledge Peter all that much (I think in Ziglar's run Peter only gets mentioned maybe once or twice) either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    Here, I agree with you fully. They could announce a miniseries that was about bringing back Peter and Mary Jane's marriage and the first thing I would check is the writer and then the artist. And if it was people that I didn't think would write interesting versions of these characters, I wouldn't buy the book.

But I don't think it's the most important thing for the entire audience. There's a lot of idiosyncrasies. We all have the things that we like to see and things that agitate us. You for instance don't like Spider-Man not being especially competent in fights. I don't like Doctor Octopus babbling about dolts and casting die etc. And I do believe that for a not insignificant portion of the audience, status quo would trump characterization, plot writing, and art.
    To be fair he was talking like that before Superior.

Incredible Member

Personally I feel like they need to get Peter's character and book in order, as well as his competence as Spider-Man, before they try to address all these spinoff characters who were not designed to co-exist together and were meant as solo stars in their own universe but just ultimately ended up co-habiting in 616.

It's not like their solos acknowledge Peter all that much (I think in Ziglar's run Peter only gets mentioned maybe once or twice) either.

That doesn't change my opinion that I prefer him written differently

Astonishing Member

My point is that I don't think Peter being agnostic on them works.

Addressing OMD and Peter's incompetence is first priority but I think addressing Miles/Spider-Verse is the most important priority after that.

Fantastic Member

First get a really good writer. I would poach talent from DC like Jeremy Adams, Tom Taylor, or Philip Kennedy Johnson. I am a realist. I don't imagine Peter getting married to Mary Jane anytime soon. Marvel just doesn't want that. But that does not mean that character rehab can't happen. Plenty of issues for both Peter and MJ to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    That doesn't change my opinion that I prefer him written differently
    How would you prefer Otto be written?
    My point is that I don't think Peter being agnostic on them works.

Addressing OMD and Peter's incompetence is first priority but I think addressing Miles/Spider-Verse is the most important priority after that.
    If anything them being agnostic from each other seems to work best because they've been operating that way fine for several years now and attempts to connect them more hasn't seemed to work out.

I just don't feel like it's a pressing issue that needs to be addressed unless you feel like it has to be for the sake of narrative cohesion or Spider-Verse popularity. But Spider-Verse has never been much of a comic Peter thing (or movie thing outside maybe NWH).

Astonishing Member

If anything them being agnostic from each other seems to work best because they've been operating that way fine for several years now and attempts to connect them more hasn't seemed to work out.

I just don't feel like it's a pressing issue that needs to be addressed unless you feel like it has to be for the sake of narrative cohesion or Spider-Verse popularity. But Spider-Verse has never been much of a comic Peter thing (or movie thing outside maybe NWH).
    I'm talking about Peter's psychology. I don't think Peter can live in a universe where others took on his mantle and be agnostic/lukewarm/have no opinions on that phenomenon. It's not realistic human psychology.

And this can be fixed without Miles showing up in Peter's at all.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 04-26-2024 at 09:25 PM.

I'm talking about Peter's psychology. I don't think Peter can live in a universe where others took on his mantle and be agnostic/lukewarm/have no opinions on that phenomenon. It's not realistic human psychology.

And this can be fixed without Miles showing up in Peter's at all.
    This is partially why I don't think the other Spiders really work in the context of Peter's narrative.

These characters were not designed/created to fit together like this.