Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Nightwing 2024 Annual #1 Preview

Nightwing 2024 Annual #1 Preview
    Writer: Travis Moore
    Artist: Travis Moore

...Why should we care about this?

I don't think Bea is high up on most peoples' favorite supporting characters list and suddenly she's getting her own story.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I don't think Bea is high up on most peoples' favorite supporting characters list and suddenly she's getting her own story.
    It's a reflection of this run's lack of ambition. There's nothing left to say, there's nothing left to say about Melinda, nothing to Barbara. The "big" villain himself is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I'm fairly certain Travis Moore just wanted to flesh out the character be created. Plus, maybe DC wants to establish her as a stable part of Nightwing's supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    It's a reflection of this run's lack of ambition. There's nothing left to say, there's nothing left to say about Melinda, nothing to Barbara. The "big" villain himself is nothing.
    Uh, this annual isn't even by Taylor, which is probably why they aren't touching those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    I'm fairly certain Travis Moore just wanted to flesh out the character be created. Plus, maybe DC wants to establish her as a stable part of Nightwing's supporting cast.
    That's totally fair, this just feels like a weird thing to make an annual out of.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I don't wanna get taken from the boards for saying something again but hopefully u won't be. But I will say I think that Bea getting a story is to fle a h her past given the recent Pitate arc but also she is a new Women of Color in Nightwing and DC want to use that. I mean she ok. Not that I cared for her Origin personally lol
    X-Men Forever

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    I don't wanna get taken from the boards for saying something again but hopefully u won't be. But I will say I think that Bea getting a story is to fle a h her past given the recent Pitate arc but also she is a new Women of Color in Nightwing and DC want to use that. I mean she ok. Not that I cared for her Origin personally lol
    No I get it, I said in the other thread I thought she would have gotten offed like Raya was if it wasn’t for optics, but instead they went with another bad trope

https://medium.com/@yomiadegoke/the-...d-48e1414e995c

Well prior to this annual, Bea Bennett was my favorite love interest for RicDick. But they just HAD to make it about something other than the winning natural chemistry in the original telling. Oh well.

To be clear, I enjoyed the story and the callbacks to GRAYSON. I also love the idea of a new action femme of color. I just wish that the choice to ugly up her relationship with RicDick had not been such.

But I will definitely be on the lookout for more Bea! While some in the thread did not like any part of the Ric Grayson arc, I found Bea extremely compelling. More, I found the way she and RicDick connected to be the best, most authentic of all his relationships to day.

I am glad that woth this issues reveal, we also see that she is happy for Dick and is, herself, in a good space.