Default Donner's Superman and it's healthy portrayal of masculinity.

I recently re-watched Richard Donner's Superman movie and one thing that stood out to me was how forward-thinking it was, for the time of it's release, in its depiction of masculinity. Reeve's Superman is not only very tangible, multi-layered and humanistic as a character, but also very emotionally intelligent, empathetic and in touch with his feelings. And yet, despite that, he's definitely not a pushover. When he's angry, he's very scary (I remember watching his reaction to Lois's death as a kid and being absolutely freaking terrified ).

Basically, I feel it's a vital aspect of Superman that has been forgotten and that I hope James Gunn recaptures. I definitely trust him to do so, given how intelligently he approached the subject in his Guardians movies.

Has there EVER been a...I dunno...UN-masculine Superman portrayal???? I don't ever recall that ever being pne of the Superman's problem. It might have something to do with the last syllable of the character's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post

Has there EVER been a...I dunno...UN-masculine Superman portrayal???? I don't ever recall that ever being pne of the Superman's problem. It might have something to do with the last syllable of the character's name.
    Comic books tend to have some hypermasculine characters. I feel like Superman's rarely (if ever) qualified as hypermasculine in the past 45 years, so in comparison to said macho characters, he has occasionally come across as lacking in masculinity. If you consider Batman the gold standard of masculinity, a lot of interpretations of Superman could use some TRT. IMO, of course.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't think anyone will ever top Reeve in their portrayal of Superman. Other actors will look the part and may have better costumes (let's be honest, the seventies one hasn't aged well) but in terms of overall portrayal, no one will ever top him. He just had the personality and voice down pat.
    Assassinate Putin!

Swiss army nerd

I think the thing that sets Reeve's Superman apart, which makes him so likeable and such a great example of healthy, non-toxic masculinity, is his complete lack of ego. He's confident without being overbearing. Relaxed without taking people and his surroundings for granted. That lack of ego is absolutely integral to Superman.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Humility, lack of ego, kindness, etc are def important. And of course strength when called for. I think Hoechlin had these aspects in his portrayal as well. His Supes was my second fave after Reeve.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Humility, lack of ego, kindness, etc are def important. And of course strength when called for. I think Hoechlin had these aspects in his portrayal as well. His Supes was my second fave after Reeve.
    Same here. He could be a goofy dad-joke kind of guy one second as Clark, but as soon as he puts on that costume, he's mister "do not screw with me" man (and sometimes out of the suit, too).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Comic books tend to have some hypermasculine characters. I feel like Superman's rarely (if ever) qualified as hypermasculine in the past 45 years, so in comparison to said macho characters, he has occasionally come across as lacking in masculinity. If you consider Batman the gold standard of masculinity, a lot of interpretations of Superman could use some TRT. IMO, of course.
    Tend to think bibbo as the gold standard.And everyone comes up short.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"