Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    If things started up now, I imagine Lex would actually have powers of some sort so he could be a challenge to Supes in a fight.(probably through some kind of Kryptonite serum or somesuch)
    That fits a shonen anime take on Superman. He probably might get mind related powers to match Supes's strength.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I agree with this. The Batman one too. I don't know that WW would be too different than she is today.
    I remember one of the YA graphic novels had a mixed race Bruce so that would probably be how its handled.

Im thinking WW is more tied to Marston's worldview than Batman or Superman who had othet contemporaries to follow. For example, Batman follows the Shadow and Green Hornet.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-02-2024 at 08:45 AM.

Batman would probably not come from inherited wealth (he'd be more self-made) and Alfred wouldn't be a Butler. Bruce's family might be middle class, and shown to be the victim of being caught in the middle between inept/corrupt authority and the rising resentment against the rich. (an aspect to Gotham that's been played up a lot in modern media) He'd go after white-collar criminals as much as traditional "street" criminals in a more wholistic approach to combating a broken system.

We're going to find out the answers to this question when the copyrights expire in a decade or so. I've been making notes for years for my take on Superman, which wasn't going to involve much of the character's elements after Action Comics #1 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Batman would probably not come from inherited wealth (he'd be more self-made) and Alfred wouldn't be a Butler. Bruce's family might be middle class, and shown to be the victim of being caught in the middle between inept/corrupt authority and the rising resentment against the rich. (an aspect to Gotham that's been played up a lot in modern media) He'd go after white-collar criminals as much as traditional "street" criminals in a more wholistic approach to combating a broken system.
    But being incredibly rich is basically Batman’s superpower. He has an unlimited supply of gadgets and vehicles which is a big part of his appeal. He wouldn’t have that if he were middle class or even just somewhat rich.

I know a lot of people like Batman just for the gritty darkness of his world but the “wonderful toys” are also a huge part of the character’s popularity.

It amuses me when people say that Batman is the most real world superhero. The guy is basically Bugs Bunny. He reaches behind his back and pulls out a Bat-mallet or whatever gadget he needs for the situation.
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-02-2024 at 01:44 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    But being incredibly rich is basically Batman’s superpower. He has an unlimited supply of gadgets and vehicles which is a big part of his appeal. He wouldn’t have that if he were middle class or even just somewhat rich.

I know a lot of people like Batman just for the gritty darkness of his world but the “wonderful toys” are also a huge part of the character’s popularity.
    Agreed. That he would decide to become a superhero instead of a fulltime playboy with billions of dollars to play with is also an appealing part of his character.

It amuses me when people say that Batman is the most real world superhero. The guy is basically Bugs Bunny. He reaches behind his back and pulls out a Bat-mallet or whatever gadget he needs for the situation.
    He's the most real-world superhero compared to the others.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    We're going to find out the answers to this question when the copyrights expire in a decade or so. I've been making notes for years for my take on Superman, which wasn't going to involve much of the character's elements after Action Comics #1 anyway.
    I can't wait to make my golden age Superman horror movie!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    He's the most real-world superhero compared to the others.
    I think the statement is true perhaps on paper and intent of the character's creators. Much the same way that WW's creator considered all myth and all superheroes and specifically, intentionally designed her expressly to be second to no one in strength and speed and to wield DOMINANT FORCE.

It is a fact that can be researched and verified as a "should be" but ultimately the way many creators write him the statement cannot be validated.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    But being incredibly rich is basically Batman’s superpower. He has an unlimited supply of gadgets and vehicles which is a big part of his appeal. He wouldn’t have that if he were middle class or even just somewhat rich....
    I didn't say he wouldn't be rich. I just said he wouldn't have inherited his money - he'd be a self-made rich man. (knowing he'd need tons of money to bankroll being Batman)

Wonder Woman

Would either be gay or bisexual. She would also not be wearing an outfit modelled after the American flag.

Batman

Probably won't have inherited wealth. His rogues gallery would also largely consist of monsters and corrupt authority figures.

Aquaman

Would very likely not be white and blonde. Koryak and Lorena Marquez would also have a more prominent role.

No kiddie sidekicks for anybody, except maybe if they have super powers. They worked fine for the juvenile readers of yore, but were questionable with my Bronze Age generation and even more so with the mostly-adult fans of today.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-04-2024 at 07:36 PM.

No kiddie sidekicks for anybody, except maybe if they have super powers. They worked fine for the juvenile readers of yore, but were questionable with my Bronze Age generation and even more so with the mostly-adult fans of today.
    Would characters like WW share that view if she had begun training well before she was, by our mesure, 8 years old? What of beings from different planets or realms?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Would characters like WW share that view if she had begun training well before she was, by our mesure, 8 years old? What of beings from different planets or realms?
    I wasn't talking about anything like that, though. I was specifically targeting the Robins, Speedy, etc. who don't have any powers.

Astonishing Member

That actually comes closest to the problem.
    If these characters are being newly introduced "today" then are we assuming that their influences on the genre would not be present?

No Superman means no Clark Kent with his dual identity and triangle for two. No emphasis on circus costumes as the standard. Even the name superhero might be different.
    No Batman means no Robin which might mean that kids as partners doesn't catch on (no Speedy, Pinky, Captain Marvel Jr, ...)
    And without Superman to set the "perfect man" idea, does Marston even conceive of a female counterpart?

It wouldn't just be how would the basic characters be different, but how would the genre be different? And how would that in turn play into the creations of a "Man of Tomorrow", a "Dark Knight Detective" and an "Amazing Amazon"?

Astonishing Member

I don't believe the Superman family (Kara,PG,Connor etc) would be this large if he came to earth now. Either he'd come with from the very beginning(3 Kryptonians tops) or he'd be solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    That actually comes closest to the problem.
    If these characters are being newly introduced "today" then are we assuming that their influences on the genre would not be present?

No Superman means no Clark Kent with his dual identity and triangle for two. No emphasis on circus costumes as the standard. Even the name superhero might be different.
    No Batman means no Robin which might mean that kids as partners doesn't catch on (no Speedy, Pinky, Captain Marvel Jr, ...)
    And without Superman to set the "perfect man" idea, does Marston even conceive of a female counterpart?

It wouldn't just be how would the basic characters be different, but how would the genre be different? And how would that in turn play into the creations of a "Man of Tomorrow", a "Dark Knight Detective" and an "Amazing Amazon"?
    True. BTW, it's "Darknight", not "Dark Knight". The former was around years before the latter.