Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I could maybe see her joining X-Men since it will also feature Magneto but she'd also be redundant there.
    The concept of characters being "redundant" is always an absurd one. I understand why people think it, but it's absurd. They're two different characters, meaning they have different personalities and backgrounds, can approach situations differently, and even use their powers in different ways. I've mentioned how it's common for multiple characters with super strength or invulnerability to be on the same team, but it's also worth noting that electromagnetic manipulation has a LOT more potential applications than those examples. Recent research has shown magnets can be used in pseudo-psychic ways (affecting memory, transmitting rudimentary images/thoughts, etc). The internet involves electromagnetic waves, as does broadcasting in general. Those are just a couple applications besides "smashy smashy cars" or "turn metal into bullets."

The idea that Lorna and Magneto are redundant to each other is pretty much a problem of lack of imagination, not of possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    My real fear for Lorna is that they are going to make her a full blown mutant terrorist following the events of FoX. Having her lead her own heroic team is a much better alternative to that if you ask me.
    Repeating my earlier comments here. Lorna started out struggling between Xavier and Magneto philosophies. The scenario has become more complex than back then, allowing more room for Lorna to be more complex same as Magneto became more complex. A respectful approach to Lorna would be one that allows for and explores that complexity, which does include the possibility of her being labeled a "terrorist" by people that don't like her making waves and taking strong actions when necessary. Lorna going the route of a purely "heroic" team would be a mistake as it would lack the complexity she needs and deserves.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    The concept of characters being "redundant" is always an absurd one. I understand why people think it, but it's absurd. They're two different characters, meaning they have different personalities and backgrounds, can approach situations differently, and even use their powers in different ways. I've mentioned how it's common for multiple characters with super strength or invulnerability to be on the same team, but it's also worth noting that electromagnetic manipulation has a LOT more potential applications than those examples. Recent research has shown magnets can be used in pseudo-psychic ways (affecting memory, transmitting rudimentary images/thoughts, etc). The internet involves electromagnetic waves, as does broadcasting in general. Those are just a couple applications besides "smashy smashy cars" or "turn metal into bullets."

The idea that Lorna and Magneto are redundant to each other is pretty much a problem of lack of imagination, not of possibilities.

Repeating my earlier comments here. Lorna started out struggling between Xavier and Magneto philosophies. The scenario has become more complex than back then, allowing more room for Lorna to be more complex same as Magneto became more complex. A respectful approach to Lorna would be one that allows for and explores that complexity, which does include the possibility of her being labeled a "terrorist" by people that don't like her making waves and taking strong actions when necessary. Lorna going the route of a purely "heroic" team would be a mistake as it would lack the complexity she needs and deserves.

Well said! We will never get certain overlooked characters like Polaris to ever grow if we have writers/editors go into the nostalgia frame of thinking.
    Here’s an idea I would like to see:
    What if we had a senior X-Men team (ala Justice League). Which would have the Og 5, Polaris, Havok and the 1975 team. All together these characters would be the heavy hitters and would overlook the other teams. While it may copy DC’s JLA or maybe the Avengers, this idea could be a fresh take. IDK, just brain storming.

Not necessarily my dream, but I was rereading some recent books and wondered if the new X-Factor team might be the continued adventures of The Five