Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I don't know why you feel the way you do, since there is no evidence that DC is even taking that route. The "everything is canon" thing simply means that past stories are still relevant. That's it. We're still post-Nu52/whatever iteration. And quite frankly, I rather read the stories on their own merit, rather than worry about where in the timeline an event occurs. Besides, if the storyline is popular, it will keep. If not, it will soon be forgotten. No more, no less.
    I'd rather not be guessing if we're using Supergirls post COIE origin or New52 origin. Or even Pre-COIE origin.

Is Cassie, Zeuses daughter or not?

Does the Geoff Jones run on TT still valid?

I like history with my characters and being able to see how they grew or what they've been through.

There's been a blurring of lines between all of these.

If you don't care, more power to you.

Extraordinary Member

And quite frankly, I rather read the stories on their own merit, rather than worry about where in the timeline an event occurs. Besides, if the storyline is popular, it will keep. If not, it will soon be forgotten. No more, no less.
    Yeah, reading a good story has always mattered to me more than what fits where. And (for the most part) it seems as if most of DC's best stories seem to take place outside of whatever the main continuity is at any given moment.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know why you feel the way you do, since there is no evidence that DC is even taking that route. The "everything is canon" thing simply means that past stories are still relevant. That's it. We're still post-Nu52/whatever iteration. And quite frankly, I rather read the stories on their own merit, rather than worry about where in the timeline an event occurs. Besides, if the storyline is popular, it will keep. If not, it will soon be forgotten. No more, no less.
    The problem is just there are some cases where it would be for the relation between certain characters pretty important to know if certain things are canon aren't.

I think it was for example pretty wired when they did the post rebirth young justice series, without clarifying if the Teen Titan runs these characters have been in together after that were also in canon, since the series was pretty much written like neither the pre flashpoint nor the new52 Teen titans run had happend.

And than you had stuff like Tim Drakes parents where we had several years of Tim staring in comics where it was completely unclear if the were alive or dead.

And than you have imo also occasionally cases where they make in one story call backs to stuff from previous runs, even if what happend in those runs completely contradicts the current status quo.

Incredible Member

I don't know why you feel the way you do, since there is no evidence that DC is even taking that route. The "everything is canon" thing simply means that past stories are still relevant. That's it. We're still post-Nu52/whatever iteration.
    This simply isn't true. The post-Superman Reborn, post-Death Metal, post-Dark Crisis "continuity" (if such a thing exists now) does indeed appear to be a completely distinct beast from both pre-Flashpoint and New 52 continuities. You can't honestly say it's just New 52 with minor changes.

Reborn was definetely a big nail into "continuity" coffin.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    This simply isn't true. The post-Superman Reborn, post-Death Metal, post-Dark Crisis "continuity" (if such a thing exists now) does indeed appear to be a completely distinct beast from both pre-Flashpoint and New 52 continuities. You can't honestly say it's just New 52 with minor changes.
    It’s most like pre-Flashpoint with minor changes.
    Some stuff is completely post-flashpoint now, like all of the Shazam mythos.
    Other some is all back in pre-Flashpoint continuity with post-Flashpoint added in.
    Like all of Green Arrow mythos.

Then almost every post-marriage story is out of continuity due to Jon.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

No. "Everything is canon" (somewhere) is the only viable way to keep most of the fanbase reasonably happy.

Check out this week's BATMAN # 147: wonderful flashback sequence wherein Bruce remembers a friendly moment between him and Barry Allen that looks like it could have taken place in a 1960s or 1970s issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, but also fits in with present continuity. Selectively use the entire wealth of nearly 100 years of DC Comics.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Then almost every post-marriage story is out of continuity due to Jon.
    Is Jon different from or better than Chris?